2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi,

I recently got KORG D1 , and I would like to share few things if anyone is interested. I have tried few different brands of digital pianos in stores but I did not own one previously. I will try to share my experiences here.

I have 2 issues so far, F key just bellow middle C is a bit squeaking, not crazy, when it is pushed bit to the right I think, Will give it a time and 2nd "'problem", when connected MIDI I/O to my Motu ultralite mk4 , interface is acting like midi signal is triggered all the time even if I am not pressing anything ( I can see that on the LCD screen from interface) but when i connect my novation x-station, there is no such a problem, signal triggers only when I press a key. please see video https://youtu.be/cb5IozgbrYc

Otherwise , Keybed feels really nice and heavy, responsive, keys are nice and long , easy to play top of the key, just to compare , I did not like PHA-4 Standart from Roland FP 30 for quick play,it is harder to play top key, do not get me wrong, it is nice keybed but a bit slow for me, god for slower pieces tho'. PHA-4 Concert and PHA-50 were great for my feeling, really nice. Casios Privia px-s1000 or px-560 were too wobbly and plastic noisy for my preference. What I have like the most so far is keybed from Hybrid Yamaha NU1X. This is joy to play for me. Yamahas CLP645 NWX was nice but CLP 675 had better feeling to play for me, mostly played Chilly Gonzales pieces. CLP635 whad a bit worse feeligg to RH3 keybed from KORG for me. Between NWX and PHA50 , I prefer PHA50 more. Yamahas P-125 GHS keybed feels like a toy . So if any one will want to make a buying decision on the Keybed perspective, from the my and Korg's RH3 keybed point, ranking will be this for me :

1. NU1X Hybrid
2. ROLAND's PHA50
3 YAMAHA's Grand Touch wood keys (CLP 675...)
4. ROLANDS's PHA-4 CONCERT
5. YAMAHA's NWX
6. YAMAHA's GH3X
6. RH3 KORG's
7. PHA-4 STANDARD
8. YAMAHA's GH3
9. CASIO's scaled hammer action II (Tri-Sensor)
10. YAMAHA's GHS

Bear in mind I have never tried any KAWAII's keybed.

I am not gonna review piano sounds from KORG's D1 because I simply don't like it. Although digital piano, choir, vibes and some soft organ is pretty nice. Compared to Garritan CFX plugin with my Sennheiser HD600 , this sounds really bad for, does the job if you want to learn but I prefer learning by ears most of the the the time and using other modules or VST's is better option for me. D1 does not have a speakers which is big + for me. Cheap speakers are useless on digital pianos ,remember and they are usually bad, even on NU1X. Korg D1 does not have USB but MIDI is enough if you have audio interface with midi i/o/. If not there is a MIDI to USB adapter for 30 bucks from Roland.

Minus is that there is no support for 3 pedals only for sustain which is supplied, but if you need half-pedaling, Korg DS1 H is your only option for 60 euro.

For me this is perfect option option so far for 550 euro.

Thanks guys and maybe someone can confirm that nonstop midi signal triggering is just fine.. I will post recent updates during my use.

Thanks again..

Last edited by mariorainy; 01/10/20 10:23 AM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by mariorainy
when connected MIDI I/O to my Motu ultralite mk4 , interface is acting like midi signal is triggered all the time even if I am not pressing anything

In MIDI we have "internal clock" vs. "external clock" i.e. some devices send a MIDI clock signal themselves, others expect to receive it from the other device and some are configurable either way.

...which also may lead to a MIDI-USB converter to not work with all devices.

...or maybe a device to blink a MIDI receive LED all the time.

Perhaps(?)

N
N
Wow!

You have it very similarly ranked like me.
But I'd rank the CLP-695 over the Yamaha N1X in terms of size and feel.

But about the Korg D-1 itself, there were major flaws of why I send it back.

- I disliked the Audio a lot
- Doing trills on black keys doesn't work fluidly / fast

About that MIDI issue - I've never had it!

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 01/10/20 01:49 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
In MIDI we have "internal clock" vs. "external clock" i.e. some devices send a MIDI clock signal themselves, others expect to receive it from the other device and some are configurable either way.

...which also may lead to a MIDI-USB converter to not work with all devices.

...or maybe a device to blink a MIDI receive LED all the time.

Perhaps(?)

MIDI clock is only needed to synchronise two MIDI devices which need to be synchronised. A DAW and an arpegiator... anything which has to know where we are inside a bar. No MIDI clock doesn’t prevent other MIDI events to be exchanged.

But it is true that MIDI clock is seen when looking at the MIDI receive LED.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
M
OP Offline
M
yeah , I am keeping it because of the price smile for now smile audio on clavinovas for about 2000 euro was not so much better than D1's for my ears.

So , is that unnecessary midi signal triggering doing any harm to audio interface or it is just fine ?

thanks

M
OP Offline
M
CLP695 is probably better , never tried.

N
N
Originally Posted by mariorainy
CLP695 is probably better , never tried.

Well there were two problems I saw at the CLP 695!

- If you go 'louder', you immediately reach 127 with ease. That did bother me.
Probably could change the key touch, but it was in the default.
- If you use the pedal something clacks against the body, that did annoy me.

M
OP Offline
M
I am using pure MIDI cables, no MIDI TO USB( you have probably ment that audio interface is doin midi to usb)

Should I change MIDI clock to external?

Last edited by mariorainy; 01/15/20 04:52 AM.
O
O
I saw someone on group that complained about midi velocity.
He said that the keyboard couldnt transmit midi velocit under 10 or 15.
I think that this is a stranger behavior in a product like that.

Could someone confirm that D1 can transmit all velocitys ?

J
J
Originally Posted by Otavio

Could someone confirm that D1 can transmit all velocitys ?

Using D1 and Roland midi usb. I tried to play as sofly as I could and got many 1-5s, but 6-15s were hard. There is an option on the piano to change the touch sensitivity settings too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission