Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
38 registered members (CyberGene, dannylux, barbaram, Colin Miles, Bachopin, Catlady, Carajillo, ChrisGoesPiano, 6 invisible), 3,196 guests, and 420 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Comments from Teachers requested #2931828 01/09/20 05:12 AM
J
Junkers 88 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am an adult beginner who is looking for a piano teacher, but would appreciate any comments that teachers would like to make regarding my profile.

I do not have sufficient eyesight to read music, so piano books are of no use to me.
I have played guitar for over thirty years and I know all the diatonic and harmonic minor modes and some others and how to form chords from scales.
I have no classical piano repertoire.
My daily practice sessions primarily involve technique: diatonic/chromatic scales, arpeggios, trills.
My hands are large and I can reach from C to E.
My goal is to acquire sufficient technique competence to compose my own material, which is what I do on guitar.
I would like a teacher to examine my technique and develop it further with additional exercises.
Would a teacher accept me as a student or is my inability to read and lack of repertoire too great a problem?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Comments from Teachers requested [Re: Junkers 88] #2931838 01/09/20 06:01 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Just something I wanted to mention in case it was a possibility on the vision front- On the Reddit r/piano subreddit about a year ago, I was reading about the case of a man who was legally blind who was using a big printer to print out big, almost poster-size sheet music which he could then read. He had been posting to explore electronic alternatives with large flat panels. Would printing extraordinarily large sheets and/or very large print on displays not work for you? Have you tried either of these?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Comments from Teachers requested [Re: Junkers 88] #2931850 01/09/20 07:13 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
If you want to compose, find a teacher that will teach you theory, playing by ear and improvisation.
You do not mention what type of music you want to compose

Call teachers in your area and explain who you are and what you need. There are many ways to learn other than through method books

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Comments from Teachers requested [Re: Junkers 88] #2931883 01/09/20 09:26 AM
J
Junkers 88 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for your feedback Dogperson and Tyrone.

I am interested in classical music and I hadn't thought of large print sheet music. How would you get it to stay in place at the keyboard?
I'd need an enlarged music rest.

Re: Comments from Teachers requested [Re: Junkers 88] #2931888 01/09/20 09:37 AM
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
IPad Pro or similar. 12.9 inch screen, software that lets you expand the page and turn pages with a swipe of fingers.

Some of that software splits the screen in half vertically. When you get near the bottom of the page, you swipe so the top half turns while you're still seeing your notes. Then when you've transitioned to the next page you flip the bottom half whenever you have a finger free (or using a foot pedal.)

I get asked to turn pages when the organist does something spectacular, and I hate it. That's a lot of pressure, and while they're supposed to nod they forget, or they nod all the time, and I have to read all those staves. I wish they would convert to electronic.

At the library I see kids with VR headsets. I don't know how they work but I wonder if that would be a solution too.

gotta go practice
Re: Comments from Teachers requested [Re: Junkers 88] #2931905 01/09/20 10:08 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
I knew of a pianist here with extremely poor eyesight. He used a screen much bigger than 12.9 and uploaded his scores. If you don’t get suggestions here, ask in the digital piano forum for big screen options. A bigger screen will reduce the number of page turns that need to be done and I think will make you happier in the long run

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Comments from Teachers requested [Re: dogperson] #2931914 01/09/20 10:28 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
I knew of a pianist here with extremely poor eyesight. He used a screen much bigger than 12.9 and uploaded his scores. If you don’t get suggestions here, ask in the digital piano forum for big screen options. A bigger screen will reduce the number of page turns that need to be done and I think will make you happier in the long run

I agree. Although the person on Reddit r/piano that I had mentioned above had been using a large print paper solution, that's probably not optimal. The best and most effective solution (and perhaps most cost effective in the long run) would use a very large screen as dogperson mentions. For example, these days, in the US, one can buy a 32-inch monitor for about $180 USD including shipping. If you are already going to be spending for a teacher, a large high-contrast display should be budgetable. As for stand, I wall mount my displays behind the piano. No stand required.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Comments from Teachers requested [Re: Junkers 88] #2932137 01/09/20 07:16 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
If you live near a university with a music department, you could make that contact and see if there is anyone or a combination of people who could support your goals.

Learner

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Woo-hoo! I'm average!
by TheophilusCarter - 01/22/20 09:09 PM
Still hate my DP
by Mils - 01/22/20 08:11 PM
Advice Needed: 20Y Baby Grand vs. New Upright
by jywsdd - 01/22/20 07:37 PM
New Kawai GX-2 disappointment
by Katieji - 01/22/20 07:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,457
Posts2,916,008
Members95,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission