2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
Hello. I sometimes encounter passages that I know I in advance are going to be difficult for me to realize any improvement, no matter how much I work at it.

I am currently working on the first section of a piano sonatina by Gurlitt (Op. 54, #4). The tempo here is allegro non troppo. The piece is fairly simply except for 2 sections of 4 measures apiece playing repeating alternating 16th notes at Meas. 14 and 68. If I want to be smooth and even, I can only play these sections at about 70bpm. Faster than that, and it gets ugly. And yet, no matter how much I practice them, I cannot get to a place where I can increase the tempo. I can never achieve smooth AND fast.

Interestingly, there are other passages where I know I will get faster as I play it more. The sonatina by Kuhlau (Op 88, # 1, allegro) looks tough on paper, but each time I play through it, my fingers feel strong and I can play it a little faster than the last time. So I am curious why I improve as I play this piece, but can't seem to improve on the Gurlitt.

I have a piano teacher. When I ask my piano teacher about these difficult passages, she tells me "don't worry about it". If I press the question, she will point out errors I make in other parts of the piece but seems to ignore the difficult spots (why yes, I did make an error there, but I know I will fix that error, probably the very next time I play it. The part that I cannot fix is the part I am asking you about). When I ask the teacher if I should play those troublesome sections by pronation and supination of the wrist or using fingers alone, she has no suggestion. I feel I am getting no direction despite my direct request for direction.

So can anyone help me to improve on these troublesome passages? Currently I practice them at 40, 50, and 60 bpm for about 10 mins. every day - just focusing on being relaxed, loose, and even. Despite this for the past couple of weeks, I am not improving.

H
H
how long have you been working on the piece? Are you reading ahead of where you are playing? I have been tending so far to memorize when the tough part is coming up so I can be prepared for it. YMMV as I am clearly not an expert or a teacher.

I am a noob using Piano Marvel and am at a common sticking point. I have been working on the same piece for over a week now and the impatience hasn't set in yet. I am hoping to learn from this thread as well.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds like you have a poor teacher. Teachers should never be dismissive, unless they are being indirectly encouraging (like when a student is preparing for a recital and is freaking out about something that really doesn't matter all that much, I might say "just don't worry about it," but that isn't the case here).

If you have already done the regular slow practice, isolated practice, etc, and STILL aren't getting it, then you could be playing above your level right now. Not that you will never get it, but playing above your level usually means taking so long to learn something that you end up frustrated instead of actually learning something, and you often try to find shortcuts or bad habits just to get by, which will haunt you later.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
If you can't bring this fragment to tempo it most probably means that you don't have enough coordination in your fingers yet. In that case there is nothing you can do about it except practicing and waiting (probably for many months).

You also need to consider that playing with hands crossed is more difficult.

Some amount of wrist pronation and supination should always be present when playing alternating notes.

Last edited by Iaroslav Vasiliev; 01/09/20 10:04 AM.
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Can you play MM14-15 up to tempo hands separately using the given fingering?
Are you using the given fingering?
Have you tried 2-4 and 3-4 for the RH passage?
Have you tried using the same LH fingering in the treble (crossed hands) figure as you're using in the bass figure?
Can you play it at tempo in half bars? beat 1 to beat 3 and beat 3 to beat 1, etc, in 9 RH note sections? In beats (5 RH notes at a time)?

Wrist rotation won't really help the tempo here because of the fingering. The wrist rotates around the index finger so only if you were using 1-3 and 2-3 might it help. Using 3-5 and 4-5 won't benefit much from wrist rotation except to give weight to 5 (but not speed). Has you teacher gone over this with you?

If it's the speed of 4-5 alternation that's slowing you down then you are looking at months of deliberate attention, if not years, to make up the tempo. There's a lot of brain tissue growth needed to overcome the resistance of millions of years of evolution making the last three fingers grasp as one unit rather than as individual entities. So your teacher is then correct - don't worry about it. Stick to practise at around 60 bpm and when the brain has grown enough tissue the tempo will come up all by itself and is likely to be a sudden leap rather than a progressive rise.

Richard
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BbAltered
Hello. I sometimes encounter passages that I know I in advance are going to be difficult for me to realize any improvement, no matter how much I work at it.

I am currently working on the first section of a piano sonatina by Gurlitt (Op. 54, #4). The tempo here is allegro non troppo. The piece is fairly simply except for 2 sections of 4 measures apiece playing repeating alternating 16th notes at Meas. 14 and 68. If I want to be smooth and even, I can only play these sections at about 70bpm. Faster than that, and it gets ugly. And yet, no matter how much I practice them, I cannot get to a place where I can increase the tempo. I can never achieve smooth AND fast.

Interestingly, there are other passages where I know I will get faster as I play it more. The sonatina by Kuhlau (Op 88, # 1, allegro) looks tough on paper, but each time I play through it, my fingers feel strong and I can play it a little faster than the last time. So I am curious why I improve as I play this piece, but can't seem to improve on the Gurlitt.

I have a piano teacher. When I ask my piano teacher about these difficult passages, she tells me "don't worry about it". If I press the question, she will point out errors I make in other parts of the piece but seems to ignore the difficult spots (why yes, I did make an error there, but I know I will fix that error, probably the very next time I play it. The part that I cannot fix is the part I am asking you about). When I ask the teacher if I should play those troublesome sections by pronation and supination of the wrist or using fingers alone, she has no suggestion. I feel I am getting no direction despite my direct request for direction.

So can anyone help me to improve on these troublesome passages? Currently I practice them at 40, 50, and 60 bpm for about 10 mins. every day - just focusing on being relaxed, loose, and even. Despite this for the past couple of weeks, I am not improving.

It doesn't sound like you have a bad teacher. What's the purpose in trying to fix errors in the most difficult sections (that she may think may be too difficult for you at the present) when you are making consistent errors in the easy parts? Sometimes those "easy" parts are not as easy as they appear. Maybe she wants you to focus on fixing those errors first because she thinks you should be playing those sections without errors. Improving does not mean being able to play a piece faster and faster. Improving means you are making less mistakes at a speed you can handle and once those mistakes are gone then you work on picking up speed.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A bunch of 16ths? Try changing the rhythm to long-short, long-short... As if they were dotted eighth sixteenth. Then change the rhythm to short-long, short long. Doing this gets your fingers used to playing some of them fast. Then go back to the original rhythm.

Can't play them all at the final tempo? You can also drill just a few at a time at the final tempo. Play the first 2 notes. Easy, right? Then place 1,2,3. Then 1,2,3,4, and so forth. Start on different notes and do the same thing. Like start on the 5th note and play 5,6, then 5,6,7, then 5,6,7,8 and so forth. Be creative in finding different ways to break things up into small segments that you can play at the final tempo. Finally string them all together.

And these things take time. 15 minutes a day drilling the two measures in various ways for a week should result in an improvement.

Sam

Last edited by Sam S; 01/09/20 10:45 AM.

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Can you play MM14-15 up to tempo hands separately using the given fingering?
Are you using the given fingering?
Have you tried 2-4 and 3-4 for the RH passage?
Have you tried using the same LH fingering in the treble (crossed hands) figure as you're using in the bass figure?
Can you play it at tempo in half bars? beat 1 to beat 3 and beat 3 to beat 1, etc, in 9 RH note sections? In beats (5 RH notes at a time)?

Hello. LH is not the problem, and the crossing of the LH over the RH is not the problem. The problem is the RH cannot quickly do the alternating 16ths notes. If I want smooth, I have to play bpm<70. Even foregoing smoothness and evenness, I can't get the RH do play it much above 80bpm.

I started out doing RH fingers 2,3,4, but now practice it using fingers 3,4,5 going slowly and using a lot of wrist pronation and supination (hoping to come more comfortable with the motion). Using fingers 3,4,5 with lots of p and s gives me more evenness than using fingers 2,3,4 without p and s (at slow tempos). I can do 5- and 9-mopte combos if I play bpm<70. Trying to play 5- and 9-note combos above bpm=70 sounds uneven.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
A bunch of 16ths? Try changing the rhythm to long-short, long-short... As if they were dotted eighth sixteenth. Then change the rhythm to short-long, short long. Doing this gets your fingers used to playing some of them fast. Then go back to the original rhythm.

Can't play them all at the final tempo? You can also drill just a few at a time at the final tempo. Play the first 2 notes. Easy, right? Then place 1,2,3. Then 1,2,3,4, and so forth. Start on different notes and do the same thing. Like start on the 5th note and play 5,6, then 5,6,7, then 5,6,7,8 and so forth. Be creative in finding different ways to break things up into small segments that you can play at the final tempo. Finally string them all together.

And these things take time. 15 minutes a day drilling the two measures in various ways for a week should result in an improvement.

Timely because I'm working on a couple of measures with mordents and my teacher showed me this morning how to play those fast through practicing certain things. So the OP practicing in rhythms and with different accents, as Sam S suggests makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by Jethro
It doesn't sound like you have a bad teacher. What's the purpose in trying to fix errors in the most difficult sections (that she may think may be too difficult for you at the present) when you are making consistent errors in the easy parts? Sometimes those "easy" parts are not as easy as they appear. Maybe she wants you to focus on fixing those errors first because she thinks you should be playing those sections without errors. Improving does not mean being able to play a piece faster and faster. Improving means you are making less mistakes at a speed you can handle and once those mistakes are gone then you work on picking up speed.

On the other hand, I also agree with Jethro in that the OP's teacher could probably find a hundred problems in the OP's playing if they looked hard enough. But there are going to be problems that can be resolved at the OP's level and those that should be resolved at a more advanced level. So the teacher focusing on other issues other than what the OP is most concerned about (tempo) is a natural thing. In fact, Youtube teacher, Josh Wright, has said in one of his videos that tempo should be the absolute last thing one works on to get right, after everything else, which is to say, notes, rhythm, articulation, pedaling, voicing, dynamics, and rubato. He says that only after these 7 elements are good, should one work on tempo.

So even before working on tempo using them methods Sam S has laid out, the OP should work on the higher priority issues identified by their teacher. Even some things which seem to just be random mistakes may not be so random, but might be signs of an underlying systemic issue. That's something my teacher has been making me aware of.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
B
OP Offline
B

So your teacher is then correct - don't worry about it. Stick to practise at around 60 bpm and when the brain has grown enough tissue the tempo will come up all by itself and is likely to be a sudden leap rather than a progressive rise.

For me, the "don't worry about it" approach means not bothering to play the piece. The piece is boring and is not interesting to me at such a slow tempo. I would prefer to work on the difficult measures by themselves and not bother playing the entire sonatina. There is lots of piano music I cannot play at speed, but I can nonetheless play at a tempo that sounds satisfying to me (Bach, etc.). If I am to bother playing the piece, it has to be at a tempo that at least works for me.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

So your teacher is then correct - don't worry about it. Stick to practise at around 60 bpm and when the brain has grown enough tissue the tempo will come up all by itself and is likely to be a sudden leap rather than a progressive rise.

For me, the "don't worry about it" approach means not bothering to play the piece. The piece is boring and is not interesting to me at such a slow tempo. I would prefer to work on the difficult measures by themselves and not bother playing the entire sonatina.

In that case, I strongly suggest that you leave this piece alone and come back to it in a year's time, when your technique has improved sufficiently. Tell your teacher you're bored with it and want to move on.

Beating a dead horse is no way to improve. Developing the technical skills required to play accurately at speed is not something you can achieve in a few weeks.

If music be the food of love, play on!
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
For me, the "don't worry about it" approach means not bothering to play the piece. The piece is boring and is not interesting to me at such a slow tempo. I would prefer to work on the difficult measures by themselves and not bother playing the entire sonatina.
In that case, I strongly suggest that you leave this piece alone and come back to it in a year's time, when your technique has improved sufficiently. Tell your teacher you're bored with it and want to move on.

Beating a dead horse is no way to improve. Developing the technical skills required to play accurately at speed is not something you can achieve in a few weeks.

+1. If the OP rather focus on what makes the piece musical for them rather than the technical challenges at their current level, then they should just wait until their technique improves and revisit.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
It sounds to me like you are frustrated by several things here:

• You want to understand the physical movements necessary to play this piece, and your teacher isn't explaining that to you.
  • You want to fix the parts of the piece that are challenging you, and you can't figure out how to do that.
  • When you ask your teacher how to fix those parts, she tells you not to worry about it.
  • When you press the issue, she points you instead to parts that you don't care about.
  • You want to play fast and smoothly, and you can't figure out how to do that.
  • When you ask how to play fast, you are told to play slowly, which isn't the tempo that satisfies you.
  • You ask for direction, and you get pointed in directions that you aren't interested in.
  • You're practicing a lot, and not getting the results you hope to be getting.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
For me, the "don't worry about it" approach means not bothering to play the piece.
It was intended as not fretting about a lack of improvement, which may not show in a hurry.

The slow tempo should only be for the passage that's holding you up. The rest of the piece can be practised up to tempo. If you want to play the whole piece as a unit you can try changing each four semiqs to two quavers or use block chords for that passage or you could drop one of the hands. If that doesn't suit then yes, drop the piece.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Without seeing how you are playing, e.g., in a video clip, it's difficult to diagnose WHY you are having the difficulty. I suspect it has to do with finger independence issues with 4 and 5, 3 and 5 in your right hand, but I can't say that with certainty.

My last teacher, Peter Feuchtwanger, stressed that changing the fingers and rotating the wrist were preferable to playing repeatedly the same fingers, e.g., 3-5-3-5-3-5 as shown in the edition of the Sonatina on imslp.org.

Here's a fingering to try: 2-4-2-3-2-4-2-3 | 1-3-2-3-1-3-2-4
C#-E | D-E

The same fingering could work on the subsequent passage as well.

He covers this sort of fingering in an exercise for trills in his book and DVD
http://www.peter-feuchtwanger.de/english-version/book-with-dvd/index.php

Regarding your strategy for practice - here's what I recommend.
Work your way through the piece.
Identify measures/passages that cause you difficulty.
Analyze those spots to determine WHY
Address the root cause by practicing those sections in isolation - first slowly, then gradually up to tempo
Integrate the repaired spot into a full run through.

Finally: if it's "No improvement despite practice...", it's because you're not doing something correctly (for you). There should always be SOME improvement, even if it is very slow. And, BTW, improvement is not usually "linear". In my own practice, as well as observing many students, there will be days with setbacks. What matters is that there is a general trend towards improvement.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
M
M
How long have you been playing/studying piano? Being able to play fast does take time, and it is possible that your teacher is not as concerned about this as other parts of the piece that she feels you need to learn right now. In fact, you may never get the piece up to tempo before you move on to something else.

We have a huge disadvantage here because we do not observe your playing week in and out, know the repertoire you've studied, how long you've been studying, etc. Your teacher does, and so I do not wish to quickly dismiss them.

There are times as a teacher that I ignore what may seem a "glaring" error because one picks ones battles. Not every piece will be up to tempo or perfect, but if a student can demonstrate they've learned a concept, then it is a success and we move on. Playing fast is one of those things that may be forgone in favor os other concepts.

Now, it is possible that your teacher doesn't know how to help you play this faster, but I feel like the above is more likely the scenario here.

Obviously, there are practice techniques that will help you increase the tempo, but if you can show a video of you playing the passages in question (or the whole piece), that would help us see what technical issues are going on here.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Morodiene
How long have you been playing/studying piano?

Dare I say it: I am 60 yrs old, and have been playing the piano for 40 yrs (as a hobby, not a profession). I am no concert pianist, but I have enough keyboard skills where both I and my teacher imagine playing piano sonatinas by Gurlitt and Kahlau is within my abilities.

Originally Posted by Morodiene
Not every piece will be up to tempo or perfect, but if a student can demonstrate they've learned a concept, then it is a success and we move on. Playing fast is one of those things that may be forgone in favor os other concepts.

I believe you are correct that the teacher feels I have achieved her goals for me in playing the piece (i.e. like successfully playing those measures where the hands cross, using appropriate pedaling in the slower second movement, etc.), and so does not share my concern about the tempo.

The perhaps larger question for me is why the method I have successfully used to conquer 99% of keyboard difficulties I encounter fails occasionally (like with the Gurlittt allegro).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

The perhaps larger question for me is why the method I have successfully used to conquer 99% of keyboard difficulties I encounter fails occasionally (like with the Gurlittt allegro).

Sometimes there really isn't an answer. I'm sure you've probably already tried increasing the metronome a notch at a time, so if that's not working, then it might be good to just know you did your best and move on. It happens with pieces sometimes, not everything works all the time, or something doesn't quite fit for us. Not a big deal unless you absolutely love the piece and want to perform it. If that's the case, just know it might be months before you can get it to be where you want it. We have to pick our battles. 😊

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S

I believe you are correct that the teacher feels I have achieved her goals for me in playing the piece (i.e. like successfully playing those measures where the hands cross, using appropriate pedaling in the slower second movement, etc.), and so does not share my concern about the tempo.

The Kulhau sonatina is using essentially broken chords which are well balanced between the thumb and the other fingers so it is fairly comfortable to play with the proper wrist rotation. In the Gurlitt, you have to use fingers 3,4 and 5 or 2,3,4. Either case hand rotation is much less usefull and you really need to use the fingers. That requires to have build the strength and flexibility to go both fast and smooth. That in turn requires specific exercices and a lot of time. In particular going fast with only fingers 4 and 5 is always difficult.

Your teacher may consider that at this point it is not a priority. In any case, best is to put it on the backburner and develop the skills you need. But if you want to continue to practice this part, the approach is to slowly increase the tempo by 1 or 2 beat at a time per day until you get the expected result and then only increase again. In parallel some dedicated exercices can also help. And it will take the time that ... it needs. Could be weeks or months.

To be discussed with your teacher as obviously he or she does not see this as top priority.

Blüthner model 6
F
F
I'll repeat what others have said: a 3-5 / 4-5 fingering is not going to be fast & even unless you've played a very looooonnnggg time.

A normal hand is not constructed to allow that fingering to be fast or even. You're basically trying to press the keys with a mitt.

Use 2-4, 1-3, 1-2, 2-3 even 1-5 or 1-4 if you're flexible. That is any finger combo that benefits from rotation.

This isn't something to get upset about. Hand Physiology is what it is. Best to accept it.

Never saw it till I got it off imslp. I like it, it's a very nice pedagogy piece.

Just do it. -- Nike
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission