Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
40 registered members (aimar, BachToTheFuture, CyberGene, danielp11, ChrisGoesPiano, David Boyce, CosminX, Coker, cmb13, 10 invisible), 3,277 guests, and 437 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A question on "seriousness" [Re: Manne janne] #2916064 11/25/19 05:29 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Manne janne
So the person we are talking about could have just wanted to learn eg 3 tunes he fancied but had no long-term goal pf playing piano. Had he suceeded with his 3 tunes then he could have changed his motivation.
What do you think?

There are anecdotes told on these PW forums of people who learn 3 songs by ear and then are content. These stories go that these people generally don't play the 3 songs very well, but they themselves don't notice that and instead make up for musicality with enthusiasm. When these stories are told on PW, I haven't ever read any epilogues about how the 3 songs motivated the person at the heart of the story to become a pianist, or even to just learn to read music.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: A question on "seriousness" [Re: Manne janne] #2916226 11/25/19 02:12 PM
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, Tyrone, here's one for you then....
I did start out wanting to learn 3 songs. It might have been 5, but I don't think that matters. Got a cheap short piano. Learned them by ear. Right hand that is. Watched some really good videos on Youtube about theory, so picked some of that up. I played my 5 songs, and with the toys on the piano, by holding one note in LH for each bar, I had a whole orchestra playing the bass for me. It sounded pretty cool. According to the 'first category' you mentioned, I should have been happy, but I wasn't. Now that I could play 5 songs, I wanted more. Problem with that is that I now wanted to play nice songs nicer. Of course I could not, so with my newfound theory and Musescore, I set out to 'dumb down' whatever I liked so that I could play it. Except of course they sounded just like the first 5 songs, pretty horrid (yes, I could hear horrid). So, first I just gave up. That fits pretty well in the 'first category'. But it gnawed at me. I'd watch other people play from time to time, I'd do arbitrary searches on the net. Eventually I got a teacher, and started learning for real.

So yea, some might be happy with the 3 or 5 songs. Some will get frustrated and quit. Some were never really all that interested after all. But some will 'get a taste' of what it could be like... and start learning (in whichever way) for real. I don't think anybody can reliably spot a 'dabbler' from the get go, nor can they themselves probably.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Re: A question on "seriousness" [Re: Manne janne] #2916231 11/25/19 02:21 PM
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Manne Janne, since you're studying pedagogy, I imagine this will at least in part with your teacher. I suggest you bring this up with your teacher and see what her thoughts are on the matter. She might ask you what precisely you had observed: was he working in a way that he seemed to be going somewhere, or just going in circles? were you able to follow what he was doing? what would your teacher do when observing the same thing? Your teacher might tell you why Twinkle was the right choice, or whether another piece or exercise might be the way to go. Teachers also choose how to teach according to the student. I'd be interested in what response or help your teacher can give you on this. Your interest in pedagogy is commendable. Asking questions ultimately leads to doing things well.

Re: A question on "seriousness" [Re: Manne janne] #2931797 01/09/20 12:33 AM
L
Learux Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
If you are not a professional trying to earn a living there is no right or wrong way to play an instrument.

As long as you are enjoying yourself you are doing it right.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: A question on "seriousness" [Re: Manne janne] #2931827 01/09/20 04:58 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Isn’t it the job of a teacher to assign pieces to a student and then test them on those pieces the next time they come in for a lesson? When I get a new piece, my teacher plays it for me, and then we might work on one or the other hand, sometimes playing four hands, and she’ll identify the tricky spots, and she’ll show me how those spots are to be played. Of course, I can’t play the piece well after just seeing it, I’m a beginner. I work on the piece at home and play it the next time we meet. I receive comments and then I continue to refine that piece for the next lesson. At some point, old pieces are dropped and new pieces are added, and the process continues.

We worked this way even with the elementary books. We didn’t spend weeks on any simple piece but moved through the material quickly. As the pieces get harder, we spend more time on them.

It’s always pretty obvious at a lesson of I’ve practiced a piece. If I can’t play it at all then it’s clear that I have not practiced it.

We don’t spend lesson time trying to play pieces by ear. Do people do that in their lessons? There are little sections of a piece that we work on internalizing without the music, but I don’t sit at the bench and pick out simple tunes.

I have a funny story about the use of the word “serious.” So, we were having friends over for dinner and we hadn’t seen them in a long while. My wife said, oh, the woman who is coming with her husband has a keyboard, so she plays! I said, oh, nice, maybe she can play something. So, when we were standing around the piano, I asked the woman about her playing, and she stuck out two index fingers and played three notes, ground to a halt, and said, I’ve forgotten it! Was it Chopsticks? I don’t know so, I sat down and launched into the beginning of Bach’s C Major Prelude. The woman said, oh, now we’re getting serious!

Aren’t we supposed to be serious about what we play? It’s bad enough I have hesitations in my playing, and all of the faults of a beginner, I still try to play a piece with intention and get through it.

I figured if any pianist were held hostage and had to play one piece to gain release, they’d launch into the C Major Prelude, lol.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/09/20 05:05 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: A question on "seriousness" [Re: Learux] #2931886 01/09/20 09:31 AM
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Learux
If you are not a professional trying to earn a living there is no right or wrong way to play an instrument.

As long as you are enjoying yourself you are doing it right.

Yeah, we WISH that were true.

And maybe it is for piano, if you only play in the privacy of your own home, and everybody else has earplugs.

But there are a lot of us adult avocational musicians who play in ensembles. Some of the motivation for that is social. Most of us are not highly skilled professionals but if you don't play to a minimum standard you will not fit in, and you need to play fairly well to get into the more accomplished groups.

gotta go practice
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Woo-hoo! I'm average!
by TheophilusCarter - 01/22/20 09:09 PM
Still hate my DP
by Mils - 01/22/20 08:11 PM
Advice Needed: 20Y Baby Grand vs. New Upright
by jywsdd - 01/22/20 07:37 PM
New Kawai GX-2 disappointment
by Katieji - 01/22/20 07:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,457
Posts2,915,996
Members95,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission