2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, 12 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29
R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Jethro

Hey that's great that you decided to get a teacher!

As you can see a teacher can tell you more than just "two things". wink

Good luck with your lessons. Sounds like you found a good teacher.

In my life as I live it we are all teachers and students. In my Tai Chi class there is a constant sharing of ideas and experiences. This is Daoism - the Circle. Others prefer the Confucian hierarchial view of life.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Confucius would often also say:

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart.
Life is really simple, but men insist on making it complicated.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Never do to others what you would not like them to do to you.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.
Death and life have their determined appointments; riches and honors depend upon heaven.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Jethro
Confucius would often also say:

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart.
Life is really simple, but men insist on making it complicated.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Never do to others what you would not like them to do to you.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.
Death and life have their determined appointments; riches and honors depend upon heaven.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

The Confucian hierarchical philosophical model was adopted by Chinese Emperors and Royalty to instantiate their power and wealth. Hierarchies, as a theme, almost always revolve around economic power and wealth. Daoism wasn't a huge favorite of the Chinese ruling class. smile Being a Libra, I'm naturally inclined towards fairness and equality. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Richrf
A few other things Is like to mention about the online lesson. First, it was relaxed and lots of fun. She didn't notice any problems with my playing style and said I was relaxed and the music quality was fine. We had a small discussion about technique and she said everyone is different (we talked briefly about Horowitz vs Rubenstein) and as long as the quality was good not to be concerned. My self-study gave me an excellent background to enjoy sharing a few ideas with her about musicality which was interesting and worthwhile and somewhat of a steal at $14 for the hour's lesson. This is actually less expensive than the Piano Career Academy course and I'm exchanging ideas with a live teacher. She of course usually does the more traditional style of method teaching but for me this was perfect.

Outstanding! Really like the recap.

[Linked Image]
R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Glad it is helpful! smile

This is exactly what I was looking for. Some new ideas in a fun environment. Fits my personality. smile

R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
I go hot and cold on Josh Wright's videos. His older ones seemed to be too mechanical to me. I'm more about energy and imagination. His latest one I feel had some interesting new ideas. As he matures he seems to be moving from pure mechanical approach to a more energetic feeling approach including some thoughts on audiation.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I go hot and cold on Josh Wright's videos. His older ones seemed to be too mechanical to me. I'm more about energy and imagination. His latest one I feel had some interesting new ideas. As he matures he seems to be moving from pure mechanical approach to a more energetic feeling approach including some thoughts on audiation.

I enjoy the majority of Josh Wright's videos.

[Linked Image]
R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Using the breath. Irina Gorin begins to describe this at around 12:00. Absolutely fundamental to all arts.

R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
I just received an email offer from PCA for three months for $94 which I consider reasonable and one which I may use. Three months is especially good if you want to familiarize yourself with the fundamentals of this piano method. If you are considering this method you may want to inquire with their customer service as to whether this offer is available to you. It is the best offer that I've seen since I first began using this service.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Thanks Tyrone. I had a look at it in Amazon and purchased the Kindle Edition. They gave me a discount but it looks to bed well worth the $7.99 full cost as a basic reminder of how to make and enjoy music. Thanks again!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082XLFLLQ?pd_rd_i=B082XLFLLQ&storeType=ebooks

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Thanks Tyrone. I had a look at it in Amazon and purchased the Kindle Edition. They gave me a discount but it looks to bed well worth the $7.99 full cost as a basic reminder of how to make and enjoy music. Thanks again!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082XLFLLQ?pd_rd_i=B082XLFLLQ&storeType=ebooks

I bought the Kindle version too and got a $3 discount. I'm interested in reading the author's take on this.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
I decided to start the PCA online course with the New Year special I mentioned above. I am taking my time reviewing from the beginning of Part 1b. I find that I can never spend too much time on the fundamentals and this course does a terrific job of gradually building skills of all types for both hand as opposed to the tune/chord approach of Alfreds. For the time being I'll continue to supplement with a Skype lesson on an ad needed basis. For me it's mostly observing/listening and repeating until I am making the music that I feel good about. Lots and lots and lots of repetitions.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I decided to start the PCA online course with the New Year special I mentioned above. I am taking my time reviewing from the beginning of Part 1b. I find that I can never spend too much time on the fundamentals and this course does a terrific job of gradually building skills of all types for both hand as opposed to the tune/chord approach of Alfreds. For the time being I'll continue to supplement with a Skype lesson on an ad needed basis. For me it's mostly observing/listening and repeating until I am making the music that I feel good about. Lots and lots and lots of repetitions.

Sounds great. Keep us updated.

[Linked Image]
R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
I spend a good amount of time watching YouTube video demonstrations of all types of arts. Yesterday I watched Claudio Array for inspiration for connecting the spirit to the music.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pEMViAPLyrI&t=3m

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I spend a good amount of time watching YouTube video demonstrations of all types of arts. Yesterday I watched Claudio Array for inspiration for connecting the spirit to the music.

Very interesting video. Thanks!

[Linked Image]
R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

I imagine myself channeling his spiritual connection. 😊

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

I imagine myself channeling his spiritual connection. 😊

laugh

[Linked Image]
R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
In regards to playing "technique", I do not attempt to "copy" any specific technique, since everyone's spiritual energy is different. The energy "flows" differently for everyone. This is one of the major reasons I do not have a teacher who will most assuredly try to teach me to play in a certain manner. Relaxed fliw is what I imagine and then allow that flow or gesture to act on the keys.

In my current practice, which is focused on the first few pieces in Book 1b, I try to imagine the music flowering through me from my mind into n the piano. This is by no means automatic. I practice a shirt piece hundreds of times and then hundreds more. I don't seek perfection but rather I see spiritual flow, my spiritual flow. And this changes over time. At times I catch myself trying to copy technique and then I stop and relax back into my own flow. In this manner all music is equal for me. It is very interesting to explore the depths of my soul, borrowing the words of Arrau. These two ideas I learned first from Tai Chi practice: energetic flow and patience.

R
Richrf Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Too many typos in the last post, so I'm correcting. smile

In regards to playing "technique", I do not attempt to "copy" any specific technique, since everyone's spiritual energy is different. The energy "flows" differently for everyone. This is one of the major reasons I do not have a teacher who will most assuredly try to teach me to play in a certain manner. Relaxed flow is what I imagine and then I allow that flow or gesture to act on the keys.

In my current practice, which is focused on the first few pieces in Book 1b, I try to imagine the music flowing through me from my mind into the piano. This is by no means automatic. I practice a short piece hundreds of times and then hundreds more. I don't seek perfection but rather I seek spiritual flow, my spiritual flow. And this changes over time. At times I catch myself trying to copy technique and then I stop and relax back into my own flow. In this manner all music is equal for me. It is very interesting to explore the "depths of my soul", borrowing the words of Arrau. These two ideas I learned first from my Tai Chi practice: energetic flow and patience.

Page 27 of 29 1 2 25 26 27 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission