2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
41 registered members (Craig Hair, Doug M., BachToTheFuture, AYS, CyberGene, albydooby, barbaram, 9 invisible), 317 guests, and 396 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
piano popularity #2930808 01/06/20 09:29 AM
J
Jitin Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I was speaking to someone here (in America) and this person mentioned how much at there dealership, Chinese and Indians are a huge customer base . It got me thinking, how come piano is not so popular in America, compare to China and i would say even Europe?
Piano in america is like considered not as big, or even kind of geeky..seems like guitar is more popular here in the states

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2930834 01/06/20 10:53 AM
D
Dave B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Jitin, interesting question. Looking at the volume of digital sales, especially the Yamaha Clavinova line, I am seeing a steady rise in the piano’s popularity both here in America and world wide.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Re: piano popularity [Re: Dave B] #2930842 01/06/20 11:27 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave B
Jitin, interesting question. Looking at the volume of digital sales, especially the Yamaha Clavinova line, I am seeing a steady rise in the piano’s popularity both here in America and world wide.

??? Where do are you getting your data? Source? Other cold, hard numbers have been suggest otherwise. The piano has been declining for a long time. Furthermore, talking about the decline of the piano is a regular topic here on the piano forum.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2930849 01/06/20 11:46 AM
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm not particularly well versed in the cultural trends of other countries, but I have heard and read that the piano is very popular with the Asian populations/ethnicity. I've not heard or read that about the Indian (from India) population/ethnicity. Although, where I'm from, you can count on the local Dairy Queen, hotels/motels, and convenience stores being owned by Indian business people, by far more so than any other ethnic group.

Also, I've been watching Ken Burns', famous film maker and historian, documentary on the history of country music in the US; it's roots, it's origins, it's beginnings and progression to where we are today, in terms of country music and other types of music that may be related, which are many.

One of the things that intrigued me the most, and sort of relates to this thread, was his (Ken Burns) discussion on musical instruments and musicians. He specifically compared the smaller, easily portable, musical instruments like guitars, banjos, violins/fiddles, mandolins, and wind instruments to the piano. He said the aspiring musicians could take their guitars, and other smaller instruments, with them anywhere and everywhere they went, but this was not the case with the piano.

Of course, this has changed a lot today, with the advent of the digital piano, as long as there is electricity where needed. But there was no need for electricity with the early, and modern acoustic instruments.

Also, I don't really have any statistics to back this up, but I think the piano is still fairly popular in the US/America, but perhaps still not as popular as the legendary guitar. My little 4 year old grandson has a toy guitar and a toy piano that really functions as a musical instrument... And, all 4 of my grandchildren love to play my pianos when they visit. smile

I honestly don't think the piano is going the way of the DoDo bird here in the US, any time soon, and will be around for a long time to come. But that is just my opinion.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2930870 01/06/20 12:53 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Generally speaking - verging on stereotyping on my part - I believe that European culture has always put a greater emphasis on what we call "classical" music, even down to present-day generations. My European friends have had a much greater exposure to classical music than my American and Canadian friends. While that emphasis may be declining, I think it is still stronger in Europe than it is in North America.

Is the rise in sales of digital pianos and keyboards in North America (if that is a true statistic) more influenced by pop music rather than by classical? Certainly exposure to classical music in our basic education systems has declined drastically since I was in school, always supported/excused by "lack of funding." There have been many threads here decrying the decline of classical music in general and the loss of sales of acoustic pianos in particular, all purportedly based on a decline in interest in studying classical piano music.

Yet, North American media constantly feature pop groups/bands/singers, but unless one lives in a culturally rich metropolitan area or an area where PBS is available, where does one tune in for classical music? When you do find it, whether it be on Canada's CBC network or US classical music stations or streaming "classical radio" even much of that is "classical pop" - a movement of this, an excerpt of that, little that takes any time or concentration.

PBS is no stranger to this cultural shift either, if I am to base that on my local experience. KTCS9 (PBS, Seattle, WA) during their fund-raisers (which are becoming more and more frequent) feature hours of old videos of past pop stars/groups or more current "classical pop" stars, André Rieu, Andrea Bocelli, etc., giving light popular music rather than more meaty, more solid classical music that fewer and fewer of us seem to be searching for.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: piano popularity [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2930875 01/06/20 01:03 PM
pianoloverus Offline
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Dave B

??? Where do are you getting your data? Source? Other cold, hard numbers have been suggest otherwise. The piano has been declining for a long time. Furthermore, talking about the decline of the piano is a regular topic here on the piano forum.
I think the first post in that thread use statistics for acoustic pianos only. Digitals far outsell acoustics these days.

Re: piano popularity [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2930886 01/06/20 01:25 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I am familiar with the general data that Dave B. is referring to. If we include all electronic keyboards with full size keys the number of units sold rises well above historic highs of acoustic piano sales. I look at this situation in a positive light and have made it part of my personal mission to:

1) encourage and support ANY educated decision to bring piano into a person’s life, particularly for young people. I will try to show the advantages of a fine acoustic piano, or a better Clavinova or Hybrid. However, if the budget means that they must choose an inexpensive keyboard, then I support that as well.

2) Educate teachers, students, and avid amateurs on the musical possibility that a fine piano can offer. Frankly, a mid range Clavinova today outperforms the average entry level acoustic made in, say, 1970. But someone who enjoys ANY electronic keyboard will feel and hear a difference in a finer instrument.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2930889 01/06/20 01:32 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Pop art makes cartoon characters of people, our culture, art ,music it's true meaning.
Yet we all are addicted ,caught by ,even if we think ourselves classical music lovers.
It's "quick fix "relieves tensions in this world ,yet it makes us cynical.and without
thought.It is everywhere it's roots have spreed, have taken hold. Its brings with it
the term "popularism" we are now a "pop art " world. True styles of church music have
now almost disappeared ,replaced by folk music syles, and yes pop music.
It is as many have been born without a brain ,no music really taught in schools .
The piano is changing ,will accoustic pianos just end up sounding like digital pianos one day ?
I am thankful people in Asian countries have found and are still open to its meaning and it's
treasure or are they ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 01/06/20 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2930897 01/06/20 02:09 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Hi Lady Bird
My limited perspective is different: churches here use traditional music for the main service but may add an extra service for Sat evening or Sunday morning with more contemporary music. I actually find a lot of it well written and not a negative at all.

I have not kept up with pop music as much as I promised myself when I was 18, but even I have heard some current music that was well written and performed.

Although I believe classical music will always have a place, I do not bemoan growing modern music trends.
I do not agree that acoustic pianos will all disappear. There are many reasons for the purchase of a digital which do not need to be listed here, But there are also owners of digital pianos on these forums that want to buy an acoustic piano whenever they have the funds and the space for one. Without digitals, they probably never would’ve pursued playing the piano at all. However we make music cannot be a bad thing.

Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2930900 01/06/20 02:19 PM
J
Jitin Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
i still think from an individual stand point, the complexity and sound ,it is so much more interesting in a piano regardless of genre, than any other instrument...the guitar has ability to bend strings, so its another level of expression, so i'd give it that, but piano is king IMHO

I do wonder if combined digital piano sale and acoustic, lag behind guitars...of course acoustic is far more expensive so i can understand their sales declining,

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Re: piano popularity [Re: Rich Galassini] #2930961 01/06/20 05:10 PM
D
dhull100 Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

I look at this situation in a positive light and have made it part of my personal mission to:

1) encourage and support ANY educated decision to bring piano into a person’s life, particularly for young people. I will try to show the advantages of a fine acoustic piano, or a better Clavinova or Hybrid. However, if the budget means that they must choose an inexpensive keyboard, then I support that as well.

2) Educate teachers, students, and avid amateurs on the musical possibility that a fine piano can offer. Frankly, a mid range Clavinova today outperforms the average entry level acoustic made in, say, 1970. But someone who enjoys ANY electronic keyboard will feel and hear a difference in a finer instrument.

My 2 cents,

This is the only sensible view, and I applaud it.

Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2930962 01/06/20 05:15 PM
D
dhull100 Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
Originally Posted by Jitin
i still think from an individual stand point, the complexity and sound ,it is so much more interesting in a piano regardless of genre, than any other instrument...the guitar has ability to bend strings, so its another level of expression, so i'd give it that, but piano is king IMHO

This is, of course, a very personal opinion. I dare say many other fine musicians would argue this point, and rightly so! An organ can undoubtedly be more complex to manage, but I wouldn’t rank it over another instrument (well, publicly!).

Re: piano popularity [Re: dhull100] #2930981 01/06/20 05:53 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dhull100

This is, of course, a very personal opinion. I dare say many other fine musicians would argue this point, and rightly so! An organ can undoubtedly be more complex to manage, but I wouldn’t rank it over another instrument (well, publicly!).

I think pianos, digital, acoustic and combo units will be around for a long time. I did nearly all my music theory classes sitting at a keyboard. And the keyboardist is always called upon for tuning guitars. Plus we can fill in for a habitually late drummer. grin

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2930984 01/06/20 06:00 PM
Rickster Offline

I like to play guitar songs, tunes, pieces, of various musical styles on the piano that you don't usually hear played on the piano. Guess I'm just different that way. It's fun and challenging. And, sometimes it sounds pretty unique. smile

Of course, there are some types/styles of guitar music that would be very difficult to play on the piano, but not impossible. Heavy metal and some types of hard rock, or complex classical guitar music, for example, and you couldn't bend the piano strings like guitar strings. But you could likely play something similar on a fancy keyboard synthesizer.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2931458 01/08/20 01:04 AM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I cannot believe I wrote the above post ---- so pessimistic ?
It must be all the rain and the dark days in North Vancouver .
WeakLeftHand I need some of that "vanishing cream" you so
carefully invented !!!

Re: piano popularity [Re: Lady Bird] #2931512 01/08/20 08:27 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I cannot believe I wrote the above post ---- so pessimistic ?
It must be all the rain and the dark days in North Vancouver .
WeakLeftHand I need some of that "vanishing cream" you so
carefully invented !!!

Dear LadyBird - it’s a pretty common condition. After all the Christmas and New Year festivities, it’s kinda glum as January storms blow in. May I suggest we all find some new repertoire to work on with an Easter or St. Patrick’s Day or Valentine’s Day theme. Working on new repertoire usually improves my mood and brightens my outlook overall.
Your Friend,
J&J

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: piano popularity [Re: Rickster] #2931577 01/08/20 01:06 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Thanks J&J
Someone I know in North Vancouver suggested a special sun lamp which helps .
Then the doctor said caused a mole or something on a patient?? ?? So I would not
use it . With me it is organic mood disorder.It treatable .This is not an true episode.
So yes I try and practice ,but just become restless ,the mind stops, speeds up.....?
The piano has to be tuned in a few days and I have a new technician who shall
do touch up regulation and voicing.
He is very well known, qualified and most of all Not part of the dealer.Saying this
the dealers technician was very good and lady tuner (associated to the Guild)
Communication was a bit difficult(English not thier language ) and they are controlled
by the dealer.
So I have to spend more time at the piano, to know what I want to say, to describe
the tuning I want.(perhaps some voicing )
Thank yes, I appreciate your suggestions, perhaps I can think of that.

Re: piano popularity [Re: Lady Bird] #2931599 01/08/20 02:25 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Thanks J&J
Someone I know in North Vancouver suggested a special sun lamp which helps .
Then the doctor said caused a mole or something on a patient?? ?? So I would not
use it . With me it is organic mood disorder.It treatable .This is not an true episode.
So yes I try and practice ,but just become restless ,the mind stops, speeds up.....?
The piano has to be tuned in a few days and I have a new technician who shall
do touch up regulation and voicing.
He is very well known, qualified and most of all Not part of the dealer.Saying this
the dealers technician was very good and lady tuner (associated to the Guild)
Communication was a bit difficult(English not thier language ) and they are controlled
by the dealer.
So I have to spend more time at the piano, to know what I want to say, to describe
the tuning I want.(perhaps some voicing )
Thank yes, I appreciate your suggestions, perhaps I can think of that.

Ahhhh, the piano tech is coming for your pianos tomorrow. That brightens my whole month grin

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2931617 01/08/20 03:28 PM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

I absolutely agree, Jitin.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: piano popularity [Re: Jitin] #2931628 01/08/20 03:58 PM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
J&J
This jubilation about my piano being serviced --- Is this in aid of "Piano Popularity"
a kind of "Celebration" ??? (just joking) Actually it is being serviced next week.
However It is always tuned twice a year but this time I am hoping for more attention.
The older Kawai upright will be tuned later on by the person who used to work on my
old Kawai grand when I had it .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 01/08/20 03:59 PM. Reason: Missing word
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rebuilt Steinways (was)? PFKAS?
by Maestro Lennie - 02/19/20 07:19 AM
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,056
Posts2,927,366
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission