2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
34 members (CyberGene, Boboulus, Abdol, brancaleon, BeeZee4, Bigheaded, cmoody31, cmb13, 6 invisible), 255 guests, and 412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Like Forscore but for Mac suggestions please
#2920908 12/08/19 10:38 AM
D
dhts Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
Hi, I'm thinking about re-arranging my setup to make the computer more accessible as I keep twisting my back when I turn to access it. It would mean ditching Forscore and my iPad in favour of having a monitor for reading the music where the music stand would be.

My music collection is as pdf's, I use Midi page turns (triggered from the keyboard) an Apple Pencil to annotate sheets and the only other bit of Forscore I use is to associate and play an MP3 track with a particular piece.

Does such a thing exist that's Mac based ?

Re: Like Forscore but for Mac suggestions please
dhts #2920957 12/08/19 01:58 PM
A
A
Your setup is very similar to mine, including the back twisting to type on my Macbook's keyboard. I am running Logic + VSTs, Loopback, Discord and other software on my macbook while I play. In my case I'm OK with the setup so I'm not planning to change. I'm not aware of a program like forscore, the Henle library app or newzik for macOS. I use all three on my iPad, but mostly forscore while playing. I use the Henle library app mostly for score purchases.

In forscore on my iPad I use either screen touch or a pedal to advance pages and I wouldn't want to lose that feature because my macbook does not have a touch sensitive screen. It would be a pain to also lose all my setlists and annotations I've already created in forscore.

But I do have an idea you may want to consider. Would screen mirroring from your iPad to Mac work for you? You can download a free trial of Reflector 3 to your mac and try it out. I did it and it worked quite well. Of course, this means you will still need to keep your iPad in your setup, but now it could be by your side and your mac monitor in front of you. You'd have to use a pedal to advance pages 100% of the time, or your back twisting will increase!

I hope you find a solution that works for you. Sorry I don't have the direct answer you were looking for.

dhts #2921001 12/08/19 04:23 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
You can demo this software and see if it meets your needs.

https://musicreader.net/en/

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
dhts #2921005 12/08/19 04:40 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Just as a FYI I have used Musicreader version 3, 4, and now the new Musicreader software that just came out last month. I'm on Windows though not MAC. The latest version has been extremely stable for me. Version 4 was too about the bugs were ironed out. I like it for the way it handles two pages on computer screen.

There is also https://powermusicsoftware.com/ but it converts PDF's into its own format. I know someone who has it and likes it. I like that Musicreader uses native PDF's. If you choose Windows Computer there is Mobilesheets too.
https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

EPW #2921027 12/08/19 05:54 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by EPW
You can demo this software and see if it meets your needs.

https://musicreader.net/en/

Do you know if you have to buy one for each method you'd use, like one for you laptop, one for your ipad, one for your phone etc?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dhts #2921036 12/08/19 06:20 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
On the old one you had to buy the ipad version but Musicreader gave you credit back in voucher for it if you brought MR4 for Windows/Mac already. I never looked into it about the new version as I'm on Windows. The new version is nice for me as I have vision problems. I also got to try the beta software since late January and it has been very stable for me. I know Forscore seems to be the winner for the iPad but I think Musicreader new version for Windows is a winner IMHO.

AdagioLearner #2921045 12/08/19 06:48 PM
D
dhts Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
Originally Posted by AdagioLearner
But I do have an idea you may want to consider. Would screen mirroring from your iPad to Mac work for you? You can download a free trial of Reflector 3 to your mac and try it out. I did it and it worked quite well. Of course, this means you will still need to keep your iPad in your setup, but now it could be by your side and your mac monitor in front of you. You'd have to use a pedal to advance pages 100% of the time, or your back twisting will increase!

That's an interesting idea. Another similar option would be to connect the iPad to one of the monitors inputs via the lightening to hdmi adapter. I could still annotate on the iPad when needed, and it would be worth trying the mouse control feature added recently to ipads so I could keep the iPad out of the way when playing.

EPW #2921047 12/08/19 06:52 PM
D
dhts Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
Originally Posted by EPW
Just as a FYI I have used Musicreader version 3, 4, and now the new Musicreader software that just came out last month. I'm on Windows though not MAC. The latest version has been extremely stable for me. Version 4 was too about the bugs were ironed out. I like it for the way it handles two pages on computer screen.

There is also https://powermusicsoftware.com/ but it converts PDF's into its own format. I know someone who has it and likes it. I like that Musicreader uses native PDF's. If you choose Windows Computer there is Mobilesheets too.
https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

Thanks for the two suggestions, I'll take a closer look a them both. Good to see unlike my bad experiences with VST's recently these allow trial downloads.

dhts #2930124 01/04/20 01:46 PM
D
dhts Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
I thought I'd update the thread on where I got to on this, I tried the following:

1. Using a lightening to hdmi cable to connect the ipad to the monitor. This didn't work well. The different aspect ratios mean the music pages aren't displayed nicely and the resolution is limited to HD I believe so whereas when I use my ipad in portrait mode I'm getting something like 2700 horizontal lines of resolution when I was using it on my 1920x1080 monitor in landscape mode it displayed with a border at the bottom (due to the aspect ratio difference) so was probably using around 800 lines to display the music and looked very soft.I believe airplay has the same issue.

2. I tried Powermusicsoftware and Musicreader. From memory one didn't render my PDF's well (some are bitmap scans in a PDF rather than true vector PDFs) and one the display was quite unattractive when displaying the music - it extended the white border to fill the screen (rather than displaying black either side of the page) and whilst the page was centered when displaying one page at a time, when you chose 2 page view it decided to left justify, ie wasn't centered on the monitor screen. There might be options to address this so apologies if I've been unduly harsh.

Finally I thought I'd try the cheapest option - Acrobat (the free version).

Initially it wasn't great but I changed some of the rendering options which helped with the clarity of the page, and then set up the PDF's so that when they are opened they automatically go into two page full screen mode (with a nice blank border on the left and right hand side of the screen).

I came across a handy bit of software called Midistroke (also free), which allowed me to map the left and middle pedals of my piano to keystrokes so I can turn pages, and finally set up a key on the piano so that at the end of the piece I can press it to close the music (with a nice fade to black) and exits acrobat.

So to display a piece of music I just click on the filename - it opens full screen, I play the piece turning pages with the pedals, and end the piece pressing the lowest note on the keyboard. I don't see Acrobat at all, well maybe briefly when closing a piece of music.

I miss some of the Forescore functionality but hopefully it won't be too long before there's a Mac version of it. In the meantime I'm very pleased with the results. I was surprised how nice it is to see two pages are a time rather than just the single page on my iPad.

dhts #2930157 01/04/20 02:49 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Glad you found something that works for you. I settled with Musicreader as my primary PDF reader for music.
For my needs it works.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA-48 key action issue
by r1derous - 04/10/20 03:41 AM
Practicing triplets in rhythms
by zillybug - 04/09/20 10:06 PM
What keyboard is this
by Bruce In Philly - 04/09/20 07:00 PM
Biggest range of great sounds ?
by Edb123 - 04/09/20 04:40 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics198,026
Posts2,943,618
Members96,550
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission