2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C

F
F
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by Faiz
Originally Posted by KevinM
Originally Posted by Faiz
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

@Faiz Thanks for the photos, the first photo is easy to interpret, whereas I am having trouble understanding what is being measured in the second.
the second photo was intended to show the other end of the ruler.

That can't be right. The first photo shows the 5cm mark in the middle of the black keys, the second photo shows the same 5cm clearly way behind the black keys. It doesn't look as if the ruler in the first photo was in the same position as in the second, so the two photos together don't really show a useful measurement, as was probably intended. (It rather looks as if the first photo simply measures the visible length of the keys, with the end of the ruler at the fallboard, and not at the balance pins, as the second pic might suggest.)

Yes! you're right

I should be using this pict
(the tip of the ruler has extra 0.5-0.6mm)
[Linked Image]
Source
Gallery

Let's help each other... laugh
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The heavy resistance found at he back of the Casio PX S1000 keys, does it proportionally effect the play all along the key from the back to the middle to front of the key? Thus requiring more effort to play than say a Kawai ES110

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Kawai ES100 = 21cm ?
Kawai ES110 = 20 cm?

Found this on another forum ("keyboard corner")

[Linked Image]

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
P
P
Originally Posted by rintincop

Kawai ES100 = 21cm ?
Kawai ES110 = 20 cm?

I think something like that, ES110 maybe even few milimeters less, about 19,5 cm. They're different actions. Just google for the side view photos.
ES100 AHA-IV http://basement-store.pl/tomek/imgAHAIVFactionlabels-1473439537197.png
ES110 RH-C http://www.muzykuj.com/ufiles/image/Kawai/es110_1_1074.jpg

In ES100, pivot point is farther in back of the key.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
There are recent posts in that thread that indicate the pivot points were not directly measured; the guy used extrapolation instead (triangulation between key pressed and in rest, if I understood it right). So some values may not be accurate.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
The heavy resistance found at he back of the Casio PX S1000 keys, does it proportionally effect the play all along the key from the back to the middle to front of the key? Thus requiring more effort to play than say a Kawai ES110

No. The shorter the lever, the lower the leverage as you move in towards the fallboard. It's the difference in leverage across the playable area that's relevant.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by EVC2017
There are recent posts in that thread that indicate the pivot points were not directly measured; the guy used extrapolation instead (triangulation between key pressed and in rest, if I understood it right). So some values may not be accurate.

Yes, I pointed this out to the thread’s OP also (while still praising his efforts to collate objectively comparable data.

The fact that this test resulted in different key pivot lengths for the Kawai ES8 and MP7SE, despite both instruments using exactly the same RHIII keyboard action, suggestions the measuring method may not be 100% reliable.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
There's also a different measurement for the Roland FP90 and RD2000 even though they use the same action.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf

No. The shorter the lever, the lower the leverage as you move in towards the fallboard. It's the difference in leverage across the playable area that's relevant.

I should say that the difference is already apparent by mid-key on some actions. At the front of the key it doesn't matter.

I should say that the difference is already apparent by mid-key on some actions. At the front of the key it doesn't matter.

True. But even when the middle of the key is used, the lower leverage results in a corresponding increased audio response, so . . . .it doesn't matter!

Aren't y'all lucky to have someone with such indisputable logic? smile

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James

The fact that this test resulted in different key pivot lengths for the Kawai ES8 and MP7SE, despite both instruments using exactly the same RHIII keyboard action, suggestions the measuring method may not be 100% reliable.

Yeah. You are way too nice. I would disregard that chart all together.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Altogether, even the downweights and the up weights?

This is not only a digital piano thing. Quite a lot of acoustic pianos (including some at my college) are stiff to play near the fallboard.

So it's not bad practice to get used to pianos like this, rather than avoiding them.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 01/04/20 03:18 PM.

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by 3am_stargazing
This is not only a digital piano thing. Quite a lot of acoustic pianos (including some at my college) are stiff to play near the fallboard.

So it's not bad practice to get used to pianos like this, rather than avoiding them.

This can definitely be the case for uprights. Most grands I've seen have fairly long pivot lengths (in comparison to digital actions) so I imagine it's less of an issue (and more of a full key downweight/friction issue).

I agree it's good practice to get used to difficult actions, IF one of your goals is to have transferable skills. You'll find that some pianists here have no interest/intention of ever playing publicly or on a piano other than their own, so for them there's little incentive/value in acclimating to non-ideal conditions.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Originally Posted by Gombessa

This can definitely be the case for uprights. Most grands I've seen have fairly long pivot lengths (in comparison to digital actions) so I imagine it's less of an issue (and more of a full key downweight/friction issue).

I agree it's good practice to get used to difficult actions, IF one of your goals is to have transferable skills. You'll find that some pianists here have no interest/intention of ever playing publicly or on a piano other than their own, so for them there's little incentive/value in acclimating to non-ideal conditions.

That's true - people have different priorities and it's fine.

I don't agree when people are implying such pianos have a "flaw" (i.e. something experienced negatively in a universal way for all players).

I often play pianos (both acoustic and digital) with stiff keys near the fallboard. I just adapt to apply more weight when playing near the fallboard. Personally, I don't see this as a particularly bad thing and enjoy practicing on different actions.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 01/04/20 06:42 PM.

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
M
M

I don't agree when people are implying such pianos have a "flaw" (i.e. something experienced negatively in a universal way for all players).

I often play pianos (both acoustic and digital) with stiff keys near the fallboard. I just adapt to apply more weight when playing near the fallboard. Personally, I don't see this as a particularly bad thing and enjoy practicing on different actions.

In some digitals, playing black keys is very uncofortable, for instance try Chopin op 66 in a Kawai with RH action or in a low end Privia... specially in fast sections dynamics and control of playing becomes much harder than it should.

In my opinion it is a flaw since in any video or brochure by the manufacturers they say things like "the weight / feel matches the weight / feel of a grand piano".

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U

Personally i do see it as a bad thing, and just bad, cheap, or space saving production.

My yamaha cp33 really tends to mess up my playing when i need to play near the fallboard, where my yamaha u3 does not, it's action is miles ahead of the cp33 to me. (And i even modified the cp33, reduced the weight of the hammers, so originally the problem was even worse.)

Then again i thought myself how to play, never had a lesson.

K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
I find short pivots frustrating. I want to be able to hear the pieces I play played how I like to hear them.

For example in Schumann's Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen in the second measure even with a long pivot I still find a couple of notes hard to control how I would like. This is not exactly a difficult piece.

The right hand starts with the fifth finger on F#5 and this is held while playing F#4 and then shortly after E5 and then D5 are played. The E5 and D5 are inevitably played near the fallboard (between 2 and 3 cm away) and on my MP11SE I still find that getting these two notes to sound how I want is hard. The MP11SE has a pivot length of 24 cm compared to say many Casio models of 18cm or less. Playing with the desired regulation on the MP11SE is a lot easier than on the Casio's but it still requires a sensitivity of touch that I don't yet have.

Why make myself listen to harsh sounds or ghost notes unnecessarily when practising pieces that have patterns like this. Practising is a whole lot more pleasant when you can produce something close to the sound you want.

I suppose over many years with the necessary practise I will gain enough control that I could deal with this scenario more easily. But I'm impatient and I can't see learning on a keyboard with a longer pivot is going to harm my technique.

Last edited by KevinM; 01/05/20 07:43 AM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

I try not to but I end up playing near the fallboard regularly.

Whether or not you play close to the fall board should be determined by what music you are playing, not the piano you are playing. When you are playing primarily on the black keys, hands close to the fall board is proper technique.

Key pivot length is a major consideration, but not the only one that determines the responsiveness of the action for this. Acoustic uprights of reasonable quality have never been a problem for me in this regard.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission