2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (CyberGene, BachToTheFuture, Carey, Anglagard44, bobrunyan, Amy H, 21 invisible), 368 guests, and 500 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 #2925095 12/20/19 01:10 PM
S
steve_tampa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is my first post to this forum. I am a guitar and upright bass player looking to place a nice instrument in my condo apartment upgrading from a Weber/Young Chang 150. I would be getting this for friends to play on as well as to learn on for myself. I am looking at three used instruments that are in my ~ 10K price range:
1) Schimmel 1985 from dealer
2) Kawai RX2 1998 from local private seller. (also 2005 RX 2 for 3K more money)
3) Yamaha C3 1985.
The Yamaha is really pushing regarding size for the space I have.
All are said to be in great shape. The Schimmel is said to have very little use.
I am leaning towards the Schimmel based on what I perceive to be reputation and discussion with my current Piano tech. Any thoughts? Thanks! Steve

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: steve_tampa] #2925101 12/20/19 01:37 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Your piano technician is the best one to advise you, because the ultimate worth and serviceability of a used piano depends upon its condition. The Schimmel and the Yamaha are almost 35 years old, so a comparison will only be valid based on the condition of each. "...said to be in great shape..." may be a valid comment, but it depends upon the source of the comment.

I would rely upon a technician's assessment.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: steve_tampa] #2925144 12/20/19 03:17 PM
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by steve_tampa
====SNIP=====
I am looking at three used instruments that are in my ~ 10K price range:
1) Schimmel 1985 from dealer
2) Kawai RX2 1998 from local private seller. (also 2005 RX 2 for 3K more money)
3) Yamaha C3 1985.
The Yamaha is really pushing regarding size for the space I have.
All are said to be in great shape. The Schimmel is said to have very little use.
I am leaning towards the Schimmel based on what I perceive to be reputation and discussion with my current Piano tech. Any thoughts? Thanks! Steve

Have you played all three?
Which one do you like the best?
Hire an independent technician to evaluate the condition before purchasing.
A C2 would be comparable to an RX2. The C and RX series are "conservatory" models, usually seen as a step up from a "living room" model.
The Schimmel is... a bit different. You might research the brand to see where the 5'10" model is placed, i.e., "living room", "good teaching piano", etc.
You might also look at this thread:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1982026/Thoughts%20on%20a%205%2710%22%20Schim.html

Boiled down, depending on actual condition, the three candidates seem **roughly** commensurate in quality. Given that, the only thing that matters is which one you like assuming a clean "bill of health" from a qualified independent technician.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: steve_tampa] #2925162 12/20/19 04:40 PM
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Since these are middle-aged used pianos, your personal preference and current condition matter an awful lot more than reputation. These specific pianos will all feel and sound markedly different.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: terminaldegree] #2925331 12/21/19 08:53 AM
S
steve_tampa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you all!. Update. The Schimmel is a 5' 7" so I think one of their 169 pianos. So a bit smaller than the RX2. Given that the RX2 is in my general area and newer, I am leaning towards that one, but my piano tech, although not having seen the Schimmel is very into it as he really likes Renner actions, which the Schimmel is supposed to have. The Schimmel and RX2 fit better in the space I have. I have read that the Schimmels, being European, are voiced brighter than American pianos. Would this make the Schimmel closer to the Yamaha in voicing? Thanks again!

Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: steve_tampa] #2925337 12/21/19 09:15 AM
j&j Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by steve_tampa
Thank you all!. Update. The Schimmel is a 5' 7" so I think one of their 169 pianos. So a bit smaller than the RX2. Given that the RX2 is in my general area and newer, I am leaning towards that one, but my piano tech, although not having seen the Schimmel is very into it as he really likes Renner actions, which the Schimmel is supposed to have. The Schimmel and RX2 fit better in the space I have. I have read that the Schimmels, being European, are voiced brighter than American pianos. Would this make the Schimmel closer to the Yamaha in voicing? Thanks again!

I played a new Schimmel 169 when I was piano shopping. Having had Yamahas, it wasn’t bright at all. IMHO it kicked the Yamaha C2X’s butt both in tonal quality and action but it was more expensive. Both the Yamaha C series and the Kawai RX series are rated by Larry Fine as consumer pianos while the Schimmels are ranked as performance pianos, which might be why your tech likes Schimmel. I love Schimmel’s. The treble is perfectly clear and bell-like, no “scratchiness” or tinny sound in the high octaves.
But as was mentioned before these three pianos are used and 24 and 34 years old so it all depends on what usage they’ve received and maintenance they were given. Condition is everything.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: steve_tampa] #2925340 12/21/19 09:35 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Steve
It is still not clear that you have played these pianos. Since each brand, and within that brand are individualistic, it is highly recommended. What might make me very happy might make you snarl. That does not mean that either one of us are wrong. Once you have found a piano that you love to play, have it inspected

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: steve_tampa] #2925354 12/21/19 10:51 AM
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The mid 1980s Schimmel grand models are mostly not the same designs as the current ones. My first acquaintances with them were the 5’10” and 6’10” grands from the late 1980s. They seemed well made, with a tone that was on the bright/clear side and not particularly complex. It’s the sort of sound that you’re likely to have a strong opinion about, the first time you hear it.

Shopping used grand pianos from a distance is not advisable, unless you’re going to travel to try them in person and have an independent tech (working on YOUR behalf) doing an inspection, prior to making a purchase.

A mid 1980s Yamaha C3 and a mid 1980s Schimmel will probably both be bright (*in their original form, who knows what’s happened to them since then), but they sound nothing like each other.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: dogperson] #2925551 12/21/19 07:09 PM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Steve
It is still not clear that you have played these pianos. Since each brand, and within that brand are individualistic, it is highly recommended. What might make me very happy might make you snarl. That does not mean that either one of us are wrong. Once you have found a piano that you love to play, have it inspected
This. (1) Play it yourself and (2)have it inspected. Your tech's preference for certain brands or actions is interesting info, but it is the pianos themselves that count.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: terminaldegree] #2925558 12/21/19 07:24 PM
P
PianogrlNW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
The mid 1980s Schimmel grand models are mostly not the same designs as the current ones. My first acquaintances with them were the 5’10” and 6’10” grands from the late 1980s. They seemed well made, with a tone that was on the bright/clear side and not particularly complex. It’s the sort of sound that you’re likely to have a strong opinion about, the first time you hear it.

Au contraire. My late 80’s Schimmel is the opposite of your description. It has a rich, mellow tone, singing treble notes and complex undertones. I think that many of the German pianos that are not mass produced have some individual characteristics. It also depends on the skills of the technician who originally voiced it and how well it has been maintained over the years. I agree with the other commenters that it is a personal choice and to get a professional opinion about their condition.

Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: PianogrlNW] #2929678 01/03/20 07:26 AM
S
steve_tampa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi all... to now add to the mix, I am considering also a 1995 Petrof IV as an alternative to the Schimmel. The Petrof is closer. Not sure if this one has Renner action. Price is similar to the Schimmel although 10 yrs younger piano. Thoughts? Worth considering?

Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: steve_tampa] #2929688 01/03/20 08:04 AM
Rich D. Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Play them and report back...

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: Rich D.] #2929713 01/03/20 09:40 AM
j&j Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich D.
Play them and report back...

Rich

Exactly. I’ve only played one Petrof in my life. It was at a friends house and the piano looked to be at least 7 feet so it’s really hard to guess what a piano from the same company sounds like that’s at least a foot shorter. I really enjoyed the big Petrof but your results may vary. I’m not sure why but Petrof piano has many fans and many critics on Piano World? Go and try them, take good notes and report back.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Schimmel 5'10" vs. Kawai Rx2 vs. Yamaha C3 1985 [Re: steve_tampa] #2929740 01/03/20 11:01 AM
S
Steve Chandler Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
We're waiting to hear what your thoughts are on these pianos. Being primarily a guitar player you may not feel qualified to make the judgment, but the fact is you'll be the one playing it, so yours is the only judgment that matters.

I've played a Petrof IV from roughly that time period, the action was nice but the bass was a tad anemic. Other than that it sounded fine, but not inspiring (to me). YMMV.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rate my staccato techniques please
by Nicolas J. - 02/20/20 12:42 PM
Self taught but not only
by BachToTheFuture - 02/20/20 09:06 AM
Questions about becoming a technician
by Mohrpiano - 02/20/20 07:51 AM
Is this a genuine Steinway & Sons?
by Man - 02/20/20 03:28 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,081
Posts2,927,963
Members96,050
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission