2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
29 members (Eric399, johnstaf, DSC, Jo Martins, Chouca, akc42, Chrispy, CyberGene, Beemer, 7 invisible), 342 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner
That Guy #2882774 08/23/19 02:04 PM
I find the functions of changing the weight of the intervals and increasing-decreasing the stretching of the ends of the range intriguing. I consider these features necessary for customization. Thanks for the answer!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
That Guy #2929465 01/02/20 05:06 PM
These improvements in the new version are just WOWW!

That Guy #2929481 01/02/20 05:46 PM
T
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
T
I agree! thumb wow

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, NE
www.thattuningguy.com
That Guy #2929546 01/02/20 08:48 PM
Thank you. The new weight settings are still very much in beta testing. And the pre-loaded styles are experimental placeholders...there's a rationale behind their weights, but not much science yet. I'm interested to hear what people think after playing around with it a bit. I suspect most will just find it interesting to look at the intervals graphs, but if anybody creates a custom style they like on pianos I'd love to hear about it.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
AWilley #2929556 01/02/20 09:25 PM
P
P
Hi Anthony, I'm wondering how the weights are determined. Since they don't add up to 100, they're obviously not percentages. Do they represent some other ratio when doing a custom weighted tuning?

I figured out and liked the graphs. Looking forward to taking this new beta release out for a spin!

Best wishes for much success as you develop Pianometer!

Brent Musgrave

Brent Musgrave
Piano Tuner-Technician
That Guy #2929577 01/02/20 10:06 PM
Brent,
No, the weights don't add up to anything special. All that matters is their proportions to each other. If you reduced each weight by 50% of its original value the result would be the same.
The weights function is to tell the algorithm the relative importance of each interval in the tuning calculation. It might be helpful to think of the weights as the inverse of a target beat rate for an interval. That's what I did years ago when I was choosing the default weights. But it's changed a bit since then, and if you play with the numbers you'll be disappointed to find that they don't align exactly with theoretical target beat rates. But the general principle is there. Fourths beat faster than Fifths, which beat faster than Octaves, which beat faster than Twelfths. So the values of the weights increase in that order, inverse to the decreasing beat rates. Sorry, I'm probably not explaining that very well.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
That Guy #2929667 01/03/20 07:46 AM
It is possible that detailed guidance is now needed.

That Guy #2929702 01/03/20 10:01 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Using PianoMeter is for me a very enjoyable experience and these new functions add to the pleasure.
thanks Anthony
Happy New Year!
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
That Guy #2960201 03/25/20 05:50 AM
Lately, I have been playing fifths, fourths and thirds when tuning. I do this in the entire range (except for the highest octave). The tuner is in step mode switching notes. This way I get an amazing setting. I get the throttle beat change in thirds is very smooth. Amazing! There is no 5: 4 ratio chart in the settings for the weight of the intervals. Will it be added in the future?

Scherbakov Alex #2960267 03/25/20 11:48 AM
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scherbakov Alex
Lately, I have been playing fifths, fourths and thirds when tuning. I do this in the entire range (except for the highest octave). The tuner is in step mode switching notes. This way I get an amazing setting. I get the throttle beat change in thirds is very smooth. Amazing! There is no 5: 4 ratio chart in the settings for the weight of the intervals. Will it be added in the future?

I don't understand your method. Are you using PianoMeter as it was designed then as you progress altering the note tuning as if you were using pure aural tuning?
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Scherbakov Alex #2960457 03/25/20 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Scherbakov Alex

I don't quite understand your process. On the "5:4 ratio chart", are you asking about a special chart that would show the ratio of 5ths beatrates vs 4ths beatrates, or are you asking about an addition to the current chart showing the beat rates of Major 3rd intervals (5:4 partials)? If the latter, I used to have a small hidden constraint on Major (5:4) and Minor (6:5) third beat rates, but I got rid of it because it wasn't doing much and it wasn't very useful for controlling the tuning with the minimization algorithm I use.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
That Guy #2960561 03/26/20 07:02 AM
Wow! Today I received an update and the Russian language appeared in the names of the intervals! Pleasantly!
Yes, I meant the frequency of the beats. Maybe a 5:4 schedule could be useful just for information. And he may not have weight. Just to keep track of the smoothness of the beats in thirds. I don't know.
I try to configure as follows. The program listens for example note E3. I add A2, then B2 and then C3 .. In doing so, I adjust E3 (and so on up to chromatism). The tuner always has tuning mode tuning curve. Maybe this changes the weight of the overtones. Maybe this method allows you to specify the frequency of the overtones. But in this case, there are fewer notes in which the overtones disperse in different directions on the phase display. The graph of inharmoniousness (subjectively) is smoother. And the setting comes out beautiful. The instrument sounds very solid. Strangeness in entwined strings is minimized. I love to play such an instrument.

Last edited by Scherbakov Alex; 03/26/20 07:06 AM.
That Guy #2969960 04/22/20 02:30 AM
A
A
How precise does the overpull function work for you? So far I do this part by feeling. Now I have to decide wether to by the pro-version or not, because the price increases next month. ;-)

excuse my bad english, I'm not native. Corrections are always welcome!
That Guy #2969963 04/22/20 02:40 AM
A
A
Another point: I am beta-tester and got an update several weeks ago in terms of better recognizing the right oktave in auto-mode. But in my perception the tone isn't detected at all more often now...

Andymania #2969981 04/22/20 04:24 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Andymania
wether to by the pro-version or not
...to buy... ;-)

AWilley #2969991 04/22/20 05:41 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AWilley
A compromise I am considering is to allow the needle to disappear when the note is within +/- 10 cents of being in tune.

Presumably this would be an option? I find that as I progress towards the upper octave the phase display has difficulty in settling and jumps a bit between backwards and forwards rotation before settling (if it ever does settle before the note decays). This is I presume because there are fewer partials to use and more scatter between its sample readings, but whatever the cause the slower reacting needle is easier to read in these conditions i.e. I don't have to interpret the overall phase direction changes to guess what the average value has been.

And thanks for the great program. Love it :-)

Andymania #2970126 04/22/20 11:57 AM
I am beta-tester and got an update several weeks ago in terms of better recognizing the right oktave in auto-mode. But in my perception the tone isn't detected at all more often now...
Yes, that's the downside. The problem I was fixing was octave jumping...for example you are tuning C3 but during the sustain the partials decay in a way that makes the app detect and jump to C4. The way I fixed that was to restrict the note switching unless an "attack" was detected. That also made it more resilient against persistent noise, like the 60 Hz hum of appliances. But the drawback is that it now needs a clean attack to switch notes automatically. I've found that sometimes if you're having trouble with a note, plucking the string with a fingernail will do the trick. (This also works well for stubborn inharmonicity measurements.) Or play a nearby note and then walk down to the desired pitch chromatically, which uses a different process.

Originally Posted by gwing
A compromise I am considering is to allow the needle to disappear when the note is within +/- 10 cents of being in tune.
Presumably this would be an option?
Yes, if I ever implemented that it would be optional. I've resisted implementing it partially for the reason you mentioned (the phase isn't as helpful in the treble as the needle).

How precise does the overpull function work for you? So far I do this part by feeling.
I'd estimate that it gets you within about 5% of however big a pitch raise you're doing. So if you're doing a 100 cent pitch raise and the overshoot is 40 cents for a certain note, then when you finish the pitch raise and the note has settled it should be within about 5 cents of zero. Note this 5% is anecdotal based on my own tuning, not the result of a rigorous study. In terms of whether the pitch raise function is worth upgrading to Pro, I can't answer that for you. There's nothing wrong with estimating your own overpull targets...I spent years doing that with a different tuning platform. I think it would partially depend on how often you use it. If I were doing more than one pitch raise per week it would be worth it for me. If I were just maintaining my own piano I wouldn't bother.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
AWilley #2970149 04/22/20 01:30 PM
A
A
The way I fixed that was to restrict the note switching unless an "attack" was detected.

I suspected something like that. I would prefer the formerly sensitivity of this function. It was very reliable. In terms of usability here is a suggestion: in the bottom window, where the keyboard is shown, coul be areas for oktaves - more easy to hit than a single key. If a wrong oktave has been detected, correction should be easy and quick. Also all same tones could be a little bit highlightened. Example: A3 is played, A5 is detected. In the graphic all As are longer and colored to hit them easy.

I could make a graphic, if you like.

Last edited by Andymania; 04/22/20 01:37 PM.

Andymania #2970172 04/22/20 02:44 PM
here is a suggestion: in the bottom window, where the keyboard is shown, could be areas for oktaves - more easy to hit than a single key. If a wrong oktave has been detected, correction should be easy and quick.
Just double checking...it sounds like you're asking for a one-tap solution for jumping by octaves. Are you aware this already exists in the (normally invisible) blue +/-12 buttons?
[Linked Image]

Re: note switching, I'll keep this feedback in mind as I continue to think about ways to make the note switching work better. But consider these 3 types of errors:
1. The note doesn't switch when it should.
2. The note switches when it should not.
3. The note continues switching to the wrong note after you manually correct it.
In my mind error #2 is more serious than #1 because there's the potential of you not noticing an octave jump and actually tuning a note wrong. (When you're in the zone it's easy to to overlook the difference between the app saying C3 vs C4.) And I would think that error #3 is more frustrating than error #1...it's the type of thing that can make people want to throw the stupid phone at the wall. Granted I can think of other ways to fix error #3 like a timeout on auto note switching after a manual switch, but that's a bit more complicated than the current change which largely reduces errors #2 and #3 at the expense of increasing #1.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
AWilley #2970218 04/22/20 04:11 PM
A
A
Are you aware this already exists in the (normally invisible) blue +/-12 buttons?
[Linked Image]

Yes, but I use it seldom. Maybe, because I see the fault in another window. Corrections schould be done directly, where you see it's result - like handwriting with a pen. That's intuitive.

1. The note doesn't switch when it should.

In my perception the most annoying fault. It's, what the new function does.

2. The note switches when it should not.

I had it seldom.

Granted I can think of other ways to fix error #3 like a timeout on auto note switching after a manual switch

Maybe you could give this one note a higer rating after manual switch. So for this piano the Software does assign this special partial-template to a special note more than to other oktaves. This would fix all three problems.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammer Drilling Jig
by BDB - 07/10/20 12:15 AM
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-700 Series
by Almaviva - 07/09/20 09:57 PM
Chicago's "Colour My World"
by MacMorrighan - 07/09/20 09:53 PM
Re-envisioning the Piano Recital: An Audiovisual Alternative
by Tyrone Slothrop - 07/09/20 08:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,155
Posts2,978,938
Members97,722
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission