2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
24 registered members (dima5222, Jay, Greta99, Kougeru, kpembrook, hzxasdf, 6 invisible), 268 guests, and 361 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Inrai] #2927788 12/29/19 06:36 AM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The action on the MP11SE is the most realistic Kawai DP action by far. Not everyone likes the feel of the Kawai's, and I happen to prefer Roland, but apart from the hybrids, it's one of the best.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Inrai] #2927868 12/29/19 12:26 PM
S
Seb Clement Offline
S
Having played a fair bit with the MP11SE recently, I'm wondering how 'realistic' the action actually is. It feels great in isolation, but back to back with a Kawai GL or GX series grand, it's very light. However, I DO really enjoy playing the Kawai's on their own.

Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Seb Clement] #2927888 12/29/19 01:31 PM
P
PianoMan51 Offline
P
I have the older MP11. I set the Touch setting to Heavy+ for the keyboard feel most like the Schimmel 230K that sits next to it. This makes an enormous difference.

Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: PianoMan51] #2927892 12/29/19 01:55 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
I have the older MP11. I set the Touch setting to Heavy+ for the keyboard feel most like the Schimmel 230K that sits next to it. This makes an enormous difference.

Of course, you know that setting the Touch setting to Heavy + makes absolutely no difference in how easy or difficult it is to press down the keys.

All it does is reduce the loudness of the sound you produce with the same amount of keypressing velocity.

In other words, now you have to press the keys much harder to get a loud sound.

So, basically what that setting is for is to allow you to play very, very softly much easier.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Inrai] #2927911 12/29/19 02:57 PM
A
Abdol Offline
A
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by PianoMan51

Of course, you know that setting the Touch setting to Heavy + makes absolutely no difference in how easy or difficult it is to press down the keys.

All it does is reduce the loudness of the sound you produce with the same amount of keypressing velocity.

In other words, now you have to press the keys much harder to get a loud sound.

So, basically what that setting is for is to allow you to play very, very softly much easier.

I found normal touch very realistic, playing mellow on a real grand doesn't require much effort. Lots of respect to this gentleman:

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Inrai] #2927916 12/29/19 03:10 PM
A
Abdol Offline
A
Another example:

And it seems to be Bosendorfer

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Seb Clement] #2927975 12/29/19 06:46 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Seb Clement
Having played a fair bit with the MP11SE recently, I'm wondering how 'realistic' the action actually is. It feels great in isolation, but back to back with a Kawai GL or GX series grand, it's very light. However, I DO really enjoy playing the Kawai's on their own.

As I mentioned previously I was actually a bit surprised when I happened to play one and do an A B comparison between a VPC-1 and MPSE11 that were available for audition at Kawai/Shigeru dealer. The MP11SE action felt surprisingly light and cheap feeling to be honest. It felt barely weighted and mushy to me. Almost felt like a regular electronic keyboard to me. But I’m no digital piano connoisseur. The light action was a put off for me but those used to a light action might really like it.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Jethro] #2928247 12/30/19 01:05 PM
AnthonyPaulO Offline
I was told by my piano teacher that the heavier action is better for training you finger muscles when starting off but the light action is what you should be aspiring to in order to have absolute control of the instrument; it's what the concert pianists use after all. I went from a Kawai MP6 heavy action to the MP11SE (as an absolute beginner) and the difference was night and day, feels smooth as butter and definitely does not feel cheap at all to me.

Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Inrai] #2928248 12/30/19 01:09 PM
AnthonyPaulO Offline
Originally Posted by Inrai
So I've been looking for a piano for a few weeks and have decided to increase my budget and are now looking at the Kawai MP11SE. I don't need the portability but the MP11SE is significantly cheaper than it's cabinet style equivalent (CA78?) and do not need built in speakers as I use headphones only. Is there any other pianos I should consider in this price range? I tried the Yamaha P515 and loved everything about it but the action was just too heavy. Help would be appreciated!

I purchased the MP11SE as an upgrade to my MP6 and the difference was night and day. The MP11SE action is soft and smooth as butter and the included sounds are amazing, my fingers and ears are in heaven every time I put in some practice; highly recommended!

Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Inrai] #2928497 12/30/19 11:56 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Sorry cheap is wrong word the MP11SE is obviously a high quality stage piano probably best in its class. In comparison to a real acoustic it felt more like a keyboard to me and less like a real piano if that makes any sense. I was comparing it to an acoustic action of a quality grand. I wouldn’t buy some of the hype about it feeling like a $100,000 concert grand which the manufacturer doesn’t claim but some online reviews might have. It’s an excellent stage piano for performers rock/jazz/pop IMO but maybe one of the Kawais with real action built in or possibly VPC1 for those attracted to classical IMO. But even the VPC1 is not on the level with a quality grands action.

Working on:

Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Inrai] #2929549 01/02/20 09:01 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
Well the MP11SE arrived and is all set up with the exception of the monitors which I'll set up over the weekend. Such an upgrade! I'm kind of a piano hack so not really the guy to ask about piano action but it sure feels wonderful to me. This instrument will suit my needs for a long time and I plan to play it every day just like I played my old P115.

Thank you to everyone that has offered expertise in all of the many digital threads over the last months. Information goldmine!

Last edited by Chili_Time; 01/02/20 09:03 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115 for two years (good starter piano) and now a Kawai MP11SE (Fantastic piano!).
[Linked Image]
Re: Thinking of buying the Kawai MP11SE! [Re: Chili_Time] #2929557 01/02/20 09:26 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Well the MP11SE arrived and is all set up with the exception of the monitors which I'll set up over the weekend. Such an upgrade! I'm kind of a piano hack so not really the guy to ask about piano action but it sure feels wonderful to me. This instrument will suit my needs for a long time and I plan to play it every day just like I played my old P115.

Thank you to everyone that has offered expertise in all of the many digital threads over the last months. Information goldmine!

Yes I think you have the best stage piano in the industry today. Have fun!

Working on:

Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Differences between C Bechstein C232 vs C234
by Michiyo-Fir - 04/02/20 07:34 PM
New buyer, need help deciding!
by Kebo - 04/02/20 04:27 PM
Kawai CA-58 Issues?
by darksecretagent - 04/02/20 03:27 PM
How to re-program notes assigned to keys?
by jhampton18873 - 04/02/20 02:33 PM
Help me re-structure my lessons
by Ido - 04/02/20 01:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,880
Posts2,941,489
Members96,459
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission