Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
38 registered members (boe2, aimar, Burkie, Beemer, Ankee, 36251, Animisha, barbaram, 5 invisible), 2,005 guests, and 280 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2927126 12/26/19 10:00 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Gifts of alcohol to a teetotaler, at least in my neighborhood, are in a special category since they allow the recipient to become a giver without making a purchase of alcohol.

Learner
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: mostlystrings] #2927406 12/27/19 07:19 PM
P
Peter K. Mose Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by mostlystrings
Receiving cash was a little weird for me at first because I didn't think of myself as being in a "holiday tipping" type of profession such as housekeeper, doorman, hair/salon, lawn services (also garbage collector, package deliverer). A teacher/student relationship is more personal in nature, unlike the typical interactions in the other professions.

So well put, mostlystrings. Money is an odd commodity. Shouldn't you be posting on this board more often? :-)

Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2927445 12/27/19 09:09 PM
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I dunno. The nature of my current profession is such that I deal with many cultures, nationalities and traditions. I am also a rather awkward and socially unaware person, so I might well be the one to give a teacher a gift of money just because I want to show my appreciation somehow, without thinking that it might "mean" something about status, relative wealth, and so on. Just enjoy the gift in the spirit in which it was probably intended. smile

Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: malkin] #2927657 12/28/19 04:02 PM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Does this mean that if someone gives soap that they have noticed some deficiency in your personal hygiene?

No, but somebody did feel compelled to explain that to me after giving me soap.

I also got cash for Christmas this year. It was placed inside a nicely decorated Christmas box with musical notation that makes no sense.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: AZNpiano] #2927713 12/28/19 07:55 PM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Does this mean that if someone gives soap that they have noticed some deficiency in your personal hygiene?

I also got cash for Christmas this year. It was placed inside a nicely decorated Christmas box with musical notation that makes no sense.

laugh

Learner
Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: AZNpiano] #2927730 12/28/19 08:50 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Most of those musical notation boxes/wrapping paper really do NOT make sense, lol...

[Linked Image]
Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2927766 12/29/19 02:26 AM
D
DFSRN Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I always appreciate my nail tech and hairdresser at Christmas, I consider them professional. I also give my piano teacher a sizable check for Christmas for his services. He works for a non-profit studio and has been teaching me about 4 years. He is a master's prepared professional pianist. I do not think of it as demeaning and a check he can buy or use it how he wants. I can't really guess what he likes or does not, cash is not wasted it will be used.

Generally, medical organizations, state, and Federal Government have policies on employees accepting gifts. I am a health care professional and would not accept a tip. However, families bring or send candy cookies, etc... for the staff which I think is a nice gesture. I think some people are very appreciative of services and can afford to be generous. If it does not violate any work policy, I would take it as gesture of gratitude for a job well done. It is certainly nice to have a family that truly appreciates your efforts. My thinking is, the family thought enough about you to show their appreciation for your services.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2927996 12/29/19 06:14 PM
M
mostlystrings Offline
M
Who wants to go over to the tuner/techs forum and ask how they experience holiday gifts?

Re: Christmas Gifts/Bonus - Your thoughts [Re: Peter K. Mose] #2929541 01/02/20 07:27 PM
FormerlyFlute Offline
I gave my Russian teacher a good seat to an upcoming symphony concert featuring a Russian pianist and Rach's 3rd concerto. She was thrilled. She had previously told me that she once couldn't attend Evgeny Kissin's concert because it was too expensive.

I gave my previous teacher a bottle of her favorite scotch and she was very grateful.

Both teachers gave me a big hug!

Welcome to the 21st century where we are more flexible, tolerant and accepting, and less judgemental.

Piano: Brodmann PE 187 Strauss
Flute: Sankyo CF-201 with RT2 headjoint
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Woo-hoo! I'm average!
by TheophilusCarter - 01/22/20 09:09 PM
Still hate my DP
by Mils - 01/22/20 08:11 PM
Advice Needed: 20Y Baby Grand vs. New Upright
by jywsdd - 01/22/20 07:37 PM
New Kawai GX-2 disappointment
by Katieji - 01/22/20 07:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,457
Posts2,915,996
Members95,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission