2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (dobro, AZNpiano, David B, DrPaul09, Charles Cohen, 7 invisible), 421 guests, and 461 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow #2929401 01/02/20 12:43 PM
L
lovelovemale Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hey guys,

I have been reading this Forum now for DAYS, up to the point that my wife said give yourself a break haha.
I am super excited since my new Kawai CA98 is being delivered tomorrow and I hope it will come in good condition without any defects (I read about people complaining that they had some issues even brand new out of the box)

I am a big fan of the GF2 action, I know it's all subjective, but every time I had the chance of playing one I really liked it compared to all others I tested.
Now I had a VPC1 and a CA58 (in Germany). I am also very much spoiled with GERMAN prices since I moved to the U.S. and the prices for DPs are so much higher here, but in Germany there is no negotiation really in stores like just music or Thomann - they might throw in a bench or headphone but you cannot negotiate 20-30% down really.

Anyways I am super excited and it was time to get a nicer looking piano for our room instead stands for the VPC, for monitors, cables etc and I wanted the upgraded action. I played the CA78 and CA98 next to each other. I felt the CA98 is a little "brighter" and not so warm and the CA78 had more bass. I kind of liked both and felt there is enough adjustment possible in the settings to get als the 98 a little "warmer" in the virtual technician.

I have enough space to leave some space between the wall and the piano, about 20cm or 8 inch. I hope it's enough for the soundboard.
Do you guys know if the soundboard on the CA 98 and the NV5 is the same by any chance?

I literally couldn't sleep the last two nights waiting for the CA98 to arrive in perfect condition (crossing fingers).
Kind of just wanted to say thank you for all the great forum posts, it helped me not to feel too lonely in the process of buying this DP.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929424 01/02/20 02:10 PM
M
McBuster Offline
M
Bringing a new piano to your home doesn't happen very often.

Enjoy the Moment ...

Have fun ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929425 01/02/20 02:16 PM
M
mydp Offline
M
Thank you and congratulations!

P-515
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: mydp] #2929430 01/02/20 02:34 PM
P
Pianofortissimo Offline
P
Why your new piano should not arrive in perfect conditions at your home? If this will happen, do not accept it and contact your dealer IMMEDIATELY! I suppose you just paid it (and it is not so cheap....), so a good delivery is a must for your dealer, isn't it? So, sleep well during this coming night, because from the next night probably you will not sleep anymore due to a very good instrument that you will not be tired to play! Congratulations, let us know your experience with your new piano.

Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929494 01/02/20 05:15 PM
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello lovelovemale, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new piano!

To answer your query:

Originally Posted by lovelovemale
Do you guys know if the soundboard on the CA 98 and the NV5 is the same by any chance?

Yes, the CA98 and NV5 both use the same TwinDrive soundboard speaker. Indeed, the amplifier and speaker systems are the same for both models.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929510 01/02/20 05:43 PM
L
lovelovemale Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So cool!
Thank you James.

I hope I can sleep tonight :P

Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929518 01/02/20 05:54 PM
3am_stargazing Offline
That's exciting. Kawai is my favourite piano brand. I've never tried their digital pianos though - I hope they're as good as their acoustic pianos.

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm getting one of the cheapest Casio keyboards tomorrow though. Well, around $500 was still quite a lot for me.

Originally Posted by lovelovemale
So cool!
Thank you James.

I hope I can sleep tonight :P

Lol you are worse than me though. I could sleep even before Christmas when I was a kid.

M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929778 01/03/20 12:49 PM
T
Tenor1 Offline
T
Congratulations and enjoy your new piano.

Carlos Marques
Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929783 01/03/20 12:59 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
Congrats!

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115 for two years (good starter piano) and now a Kawai MP11SE (Fantastic piano!).
[Linked Image]
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929798 01/03/20 01:34 PM
L
lovelovemale Offline OP
OP Offline
L
It just arrived. I would post a picture but somehow I don't know how, the editor just lets me post a picture via an URL.

I played a little, super cool, my wife is off today so I can't really play too much laugh laugh

However I noticed some of the higher notes are a little bit shrill or sharp. I tried to adjust with Virtual Technical to press the key and then hold user voicing and go to -4 or -5 but it doesn't seem to actually change anything - hmm

Any advice from the pros here ?

it's just a few notes that sound shrill - other than that it's amazing. I put it around 10 inch away from the wall because of the soundboard!

Thanks everybody!

Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929808 01/03/20 02:01 PM
T
Tyr Offline
T
You can use https://imgur.com to post an image and link it here.

Kawai Novus NV5
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929831 01/03/20 03:45 PM
L
lovelovemale Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Here are my pics! 3hearts
Thanks everybody for this great forum! If there are any questions or tests anybody is interested for the CA 98 I will be happy to help!

Greets and have a nice weekend!

[img]https://imgur.com/bGD673E[/img]

[img]https://imgur.com/FFvbVwL[/img]

Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929841 01/03/20 04:15 PM
S
sleutelbos Offline
S
Just in case you didn't know, you can toggle the 'near wall' setting in the EQ if you'd prefer it a bit closer to the wall. Enjoy either way!

Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929846 01/03/20 04:35 PM
A
ADWyatt Offline
A
It looks to me as if you have the perfect playing environment, with a hardwood floor, good spacing from the wall and a really open environment. One could hardly hope for more. I noticed that you're very satisfied with the GFII action of the CA98, and perhaps you may wish to comment with somewhat more detail on why you enjoy Kawai's digital touch more than that of other companies.

I'm bringing up the subject because, while the Novus NV5 sounds great on paper, and may well be a very good mid-range hybrid unit, here in America we won't actually know its price until perhaps sometime this spring. Nor will anyone know how much discounting any individual dealer may allow. If the NV5 costs no less than $7,000 with all discounts applied, I think the CA98/78 will get a lot more attention from those people on a limited budget. Perhaps the lack of an acoustic action may not be that terribly important.

Congratulations on your new CA98. I have a strong feeling you're really going to like it.

Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929857 01/03/20 05:13 PM
J
johanibraaten Offline
J
Congratulations to your new piano, it looks like it has got the perfect spot!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929877 01/03/20 05:40 PM
peterws Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Looks a tidy piece of kit; goes well with the d├ęcor.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: lovelovemale] #2929887 01/03/20 06:04 PM
3am_stargazing Offline
It looks beautiful. How does it play?

I just got my first digital piano today as well (although a much much cheaper one!)

M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: ADWyatt] #2929935 01/03/20 07:58 PM
T
Tyr Offline
T
Originally Posted by ADWyatt
I'm bringing up the subject because, while the Novus NV5 sounds great on paper, and may well be a very good mid-range hybrid unit, here in America we won't actually know its price until perhaps sometime this spring. Nor will anyone know how much discounting any individual dealer may allow. If the NV5 costs no less than $7,000 with all discounts applied, I think the CA98/78 will get a lot more attention from those people on a limited budget. Perhaps the lack of an acoustic action may not be that terribly important.

The CA98 is a great instrument and you don't do anything wrong buying one. It's perfectly fine.

Kawai Novus NV5
Re: My new Kawai CA 98 is being delivered tomorrow [Re: ADWyatt] #2929950 01/03/20 10:03 PM
L
lovelovemale Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by ADWyatt
I noticed that you're very satisfied with the GFII action of the CA98, and perhaps you may wish to comment with somewhat more detail on why you enjoy Kawai's digital touch more than that of other companies.

I actually love it so far. The only "complaint" I have is that I feel 3-4 tones feel very sharp on the right loudspeaker, I am trying to adjust it to my needs in the virtual technician. Man this thing can rumble if you hit the action hard it vibrates and you are right with the wood hard floor my wife could even feel it, so cool!
I'm sure the NV5 is pretty cool, however since James mentioned it also, it uses exactly the same speakers and soundboard as the CA 98. Maybe it will sound a little different due to the cabinet size.

I have tried different actions and somehow the Kawai GF / GFII feels the most "playable" to me up to a point that I forget I'm playing digital. I'm not a pro however for me personally some of the Yamaha actions including the NU1x or CLP 635 or Roland LX 708 (those are the ones I recently played) felt "cheaper" and definitely louder. But these things are personal preference.

Also I gotta say, when putting on Headphones (I use Audio Technica ATH M50x) - WOW it sounds really really good! the SK concert grand sings and you hear the resonances and strings, awesome. I am used to good piano sound because before the CA 98 I was playing the VPC1 with Ravenscroft 275, Pianoteq and American Concert D. Those do sound very good on headphones as well, combined with a good action they are nice.

I did run the Ravenscroft275 through the CA 98 speakers and at first it was okayish. Then I applied to ready to go EQs (Bass Boost & Not Flat). And now the CA 98 rumbles even with the Ravenscroft 275 and sound beautiful, too. I hope the speakers survive all this bass and rumble.
I kind of feel though that the Kawai sound itself is aligned best to the speakers and sounds still better on that my VST pianos. On headphones however, Pianoteq and Ravenscroft275 also sound really good, combined with the GF II action pretty amazing smile

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawaik500 price
by Morgrob - 02/21/20 10:30 PM
When to practice with pedal?
by baudelairepianist - 02/21/20 09:12 PM
Pure 12th aural tuning sequence
by TimM_980 - 02/21/20 08:41 PM
YUYS5 TA2 vs GC1 TA2
by SNkeys - 02/21/20 07:33 PM
Kawai piano 35 yo
by Love4Music - 02/21/20 06:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,111
Posts2,928,469
Members96,066
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission