Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
40 registered members (CyberGene, dannylux, barbaram, Colin Miles, Bachopin, Catlady, Carajillo, ChrisGoesPiano, 7 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 420 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? #2927829 12/29/19 09:56 AM
I
interstellar Offline OP
OP Offline
I

I want to record some basic Piano tutorials and I was wondering what are some differnt ways to do it that you recommend?
I like the the Synthesia style overhead digitalized piano like in This Video

I have a digital piano with MIDI port and a USB port to record Music directly from piano into USB,
What else is needed in order to record and put it all into a video?

Here is another example of a really nice way the video is made (not tutorial, also amazing composition!)
The Last Samurai - Main Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQp1BYDGcRo

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2927833 12/29/19 10:02 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Readers of this subforum might wonder why there is no musical score in your two examples of a tutorial.

I assume by "piano tutorial", you mean the special and specific form of video on Youtube where one records how their fingers move so that viewers that do not read music can imitate those finger movements, yes?

And by "piano lesson", in this context, you are referring to teaching people who don't want to learn to read music how to play specific songs?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2927897 12/29/19 01:12 PM
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by interstellar
I want to record some basic Piano tutorials and I was wondering what are some differnt ways to do it that you recommend?

I am not a piano teacher, but as a piano student learning predominantly from videos, I would recommend making videos in which you show your hands, including the wrists, from three angles: from above, from the left and from the right.
Seeing the notes of the music on the video would not be as important to me.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2927898 12/29/19 01:13 PM
Serge88 Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I don't like the Synthesia style. I like to see the teacher, here's what I like,

https://youtu.be/85afYTtUydc?t=5

or this one, she included the sheet music which is great and have a vertical view.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.”
– Maria Cristina

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: Serge88] #2927980 12/29/19 05:54 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88
I don't like the Synthesia style. I like to see the teacher, here's what I like,

https://youtu.be/85afYTtUydc?t=5

or this one, she included the sheet music which is great and have a vertical view.

I enjoyed the Bohemian Rhapsody tutorial.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2928037 12/29/19 08:18 PM
AssociateX Offline
I personally like to see the keyboard with the score either right above or below so I can follow along with the music.

Last edited by AssociateX; 12/29/19 08:20 PM.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2928039 12/29/19 08:21 PM
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Are we talking about a tutorial in the sense of teaching, by someone who has a lot of knowledge and knows how to teach? Or one of those things where somebody plays the music so that students can watch and copy the fingers? If this is in the teacher forum, one hopes the former.

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: keystring] #2928110 12/30/19 01:37 AM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Are we talking about a tutorial in the sense of teaching, by someone who has a lot of knowledge and knows how to teach? Or one of those things where somebody plays the music so that students can watch and copy the fingers? If this is in the teacher forum, one hopes the former.

Well, I sort of know where these people are coming from. I have a couple of cello and violin pieces that I would love to learn one of these days, but I also don't feel like spending 738 hours practicing technique and etudes and learning 35 other pieces before I get to play what I want to play.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: AZNpiano] #2928116 12/30/19 02:00 AM
keystring Offline
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Well, I sort of know where these people are coming from. I have a couple of cello and violin pieces that I would love to learn one of these days, but I also don't feel like spending 738 hours practicing technique and etudes and learning 35 other pieces before I get to play what I want to play.

I'm not sure that we're talking about the same thing. wink

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2928370 12/30/19 05:17 PM
keystring Offline
I think you were talking about people learning to play the piano ("these people"), who only want to instantly play some piece of music rather than following a program (technique, etudes, 35 other pieces). I was talking about the OP's project, where he wants to do "tutorials". That is not as a student (in this case). I have seen tutorials - real ones - which I think may also be followed by students who have done the "35 other pieces" etc. but are looking for insights into a given piece. ** If ** a tutorial is given, then it should actually be done properly. Otherwise don't call it a tutorial. Unfortunately too much of that kind of thing is there.

I looked at the first "tutorial" in the opening post. The fellow seems to know how to play the piano but it did not look like teaching, or thought out. He starts by waving his hands about - so what he is doing with his hands hasn't been thought about at all. He names a chord: I think it was a C chord, it's played in an inversion - he has just finished saying where to find middle C, so that's quite a stretch. He plays the inversion with 4 on the top note ... probably because he's used to playing 7 chords, and then sort of corrects himself, shows that 5 can be used "or 4" (that's being taught?) - the whole thing looks rambly.

I don't see it for being in the teacher forum. That should be about teaching. (imho)

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2928389 12/30/19 05:55 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
I don't think the OP is asking about content but rather camera angle and equipment

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: dogperson] #2928391 12/30/19 05:56 PM
keystring Offline
Originally Posted by dogperson
I don't think the OP is asking about content but rather camera angle and equipment

Yes, I'm fully aware of that.

I had a reason for asking the OP what I did.

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2928392 12/30/19 05:59 PM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You get what you paid for.

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: AZNpiano] #2928416 12/30/19 06:43 PM
keystring Offline

I have seen excellent lessons and tutorials done by experienced professionals, some that were gratis. I have also seen and heard of expensive lessons that in a worst case were destructive.

You are still not getting my point. My question was to the person planning to do these "tutorials" concerning those who want to teach or do something resembling teaching .... not those who might take advantage of such things (the ones "paying for" etc.). If the response is to me, then you are looking at the wrong end of the stick. wink

At the upper end, think of Dr. Mortensen and Graham Fitch. Do you "get what you paid for" when learning from those videos?

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: keystring] #2928429 12/30/19 07:23 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
I have seen excellent lessons and tutorials done by experienced professionals, some that were gratis. I have also seen and heard of expensive lessons that in a worst case were destructive.

You are still not getting my point. My question was to the person planning to do these "tutorials" concerning those who want to teach or do something resembling teaching .... not those who might take advantage of such things (the ones "paying for" etc.). If the response is to me, then you are looking at the wrong end of the stick. wink

At the upper end, think of Dr. Mortensen and Graham Fitch. Do you "get what you paid for" when learning from those videos?

I really believe the OP is looking to make Synthesia type tutorials, but with the pianists hands. I've seen others non-piano teachers call this sort of thing "tutorials" and I've seen other non-music readers ask for this sort of thing as tutorials.

I think a great example of these sorts of tutorials, except with scores instead of Synthesia are the videos on YouTube that are posted by retired college math professor, Jane Grossman. Example:

That said, on Youtube, what seems even more common than the above, especially for tutorials for younger people, are the ones that don't presuppose any knowledge of musical notation, such as this one:

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: AZNpiano] #2928437 12/30/19 07:51 PM
keystring Offline

yep

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: interstellar] #2928502 12/30/19 11:24 PM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I am well aware of the perils of Youtube. There are some excellent content, but 95% of it is just utter trash.

If lazy students want to learn from trash, that's not my problem.

Re: How to record Piano lessons for online viewing? [Re: AZNpiano] #2928830 12/31/19 08:20 PM
keystring Offline

If .... students want .....

In this TEACHER forum, someone wants to teach. If the forum is meant teacher-to-teacher, then it makes sense for that to be addressed. I tried to address it with my question to the OP, which for some reason got "answered" (deflected) by a teacher, talking about students - when it was about a concept of teaching.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Woo-hoo! I'm average!
by TheophilusCarter - 01/22/20 09:09 PM
Still hate my DP
by Mils - 01/22/20 08:11 PM
Advice Needed: 20Y Baby Grand vs. New Upright
by jywsdd - 01/22/20 07:37 PM
New Kawai GX-2 disappointment
by Katieji - 01/22/20 07:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,457
Posts2,916,008
Members95,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission