2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
paid $80 monthly for 1/4 a house in LaJolla!!(it should have been in Carlsbad) in 1980 right off of 101. I'm sure it's gone now. I was a bike mechanic then laugh applying to grad schools and deciding i was not the scholastic or lawyer type as i combed the beaches and swam.

btw Operatenor - you are delightfully witty

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah yes, "Sandy Eggo", CA! Loved my stint in that area as well!

Lived about 45 minutes north (in Murrieta/Temecula area) and sure do miss it! Dated a gal in Oceanside and moved to Irvine in 2000.

My favorite person in the industry is my good friend, Mike Greene! He is the Yamaha/Steinway/Boston dealer (Greene Music) in San Diego. I am sure many of your have visited his classy store.

I was sorry to leave So Cal but was relocated back to New England by Yamaha at that time. But worked out well as my Mom was in her waning years back here and I got to be with her until she passed.

But, SD is probably my favorite place on this earth!

Retired Industry Professional
Alberto's had the best carne asada burritos and rolled tacos. Roberto's was another big chain. Of course, there was El Indio.

T
T
Just passed my 10th year living in SD. As close to paradise as any place in the US. Yes, Roberto's is justly famous; there's one not too far from where I work (near the Torrey Pines golf course). Go there only once a month. Otherwise, I'd probably have to double my statin intake!

I still marvel at the sunny, warm days of January and February. I grew up in Cincinnati, so winter dreariness was a constant.

Tavner
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Brad:
Alberto's had the best carne asada burritos and rolled tacos. Roberto's was another big chain. Of course, there was El Indio.
Oh yes - I take it back. I DO miss the Mexican food. Alberto's was/is great! There was a lot of great Chinese food too, and I miss the good fish supply. Not too much good fish in the Inland Northwest. My hubbie still has family there, but we are pretty tied down with animals here. I wouldn't mind going for a visit - with a detour to Vegas of course!

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
You guys are slipping. This thread has almost left the front page. With Mik's desire to keep it to the top by talking about the charm's of San Diego, might I also add that I to lived in San Diego for 6 month back in the early 80's. A truly beautiful city although the circumstances of my stay there did not allow me to enjoy the fine cuisine and beautiful sandy beaches. I did have a great view of the airport though, as my home was right next door to it. Naval Training Center, San Diego. Boot camp! Ooorah!

San Diego did have the best strip clubs too!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ohhh, is THAT the truth that needs to be told about you?

shocked

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
yawn

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rockitman: San Diego did have the best strip clubs too!

You mean along Rosecrans? Never been to any but have friends in the Point Loma area. We seem to end up at Old Town most of the time.

Interesting how this thread has been derailed!

RickG
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Rick,

I used to work right next door to one on Rosecrans.. seems like I used to have to go over for change quite a bit!!! laugh (Add on note: I just remembered the name.. it was Pacers, and the girls were pretty spectacular)

The derailing is fine. The original thread has run its course anyway. The charms of San Diego is a much more pleasant topic.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I agree Michael - but by the time we left it had lost a lot of its charm for us. I can appreciate its beauty, but I don't miss the sound of constant sirens, car-jackings and gangs claiming MY neighborhood as their territory, even though they didn't live there. My massage therapist and her daughter were murdered by the Clairmont Stabber and that sure put a scare in me. You couldn't park ANYWHERE near the beach and my hubbie would no longer take me down surf-fishing off Scripps Pier at night because he didn't want to have shoot someone to keep them from raping me. Other than that, it was a fine place to live. laugh Having said all that, I do miss Pollo Loco and Albertos and many other good Mexican restaurants and it was nice to be able to ride bikes year round.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Teachum, it also sounds like the town is overrun with pianists frequenting strip clubs!

Nice... :rolleyes:

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Teachum,

I am very saddened to hear that. It was a much nicer town in 1980. Good reason to head for the hills.

Michael

====

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Apple - Bike mechanic as in bicycle? There is a guy here in Coeur D'Alene who owns a bicycle shop who is from La Jolla. He did bikes down there too. He had the Nishiki franchise. Now he does Treks. I bought mine from him. My hubbie also knows him from surfing days - or rather they know mutual people on the beach.

Michael - I moved there in 78 and we left in 92. It changed a lot in that time. My sister went down last fall to go to The Eagles concert and took her grown daughter. They had a blast. Stayed on Hotel Circle and did the beach scene too.

BTW - I never went to any strip clubs in SD. Not even the male ones. Darn! My dad used to frequent Dirty Dans on occasion with customers he claimed!

Originally posted by teachum:
Apple - Bike mechanic as in bicycle? There is a guy here in Coeur D'Alene who owns a bicycle shop who is from La Jolla. He did bikes down there too.
he's probably the guy who fired me... (cause my bike broke down on the way to work) (actually i couldn't fix bikes very well.. I kind of lied about my experience.

The Cioppino i tasted above the beaches was the best food i ever had in my life.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Was his name, Steve?

two words:

Les Girls

Rosecrans blvd.

Drove there on a bike one night and got a flat.

Some guy was there with a patch and a pump and I was home free. He offered me a bowl of Cioppino for having to wait but I couldn't in all honesty take it for free so I declined as I couldn't pay him for it either. I had already donated my Naval wages to the cause.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What a story!

Happy birthday, Rockitman!

[Linked Image]

Thanks whip. They say 43 is the new 30.

I do know though that my hangover on Friday will be much bigger than the hangover I had on my 30th.

(hey dude, i finally got that Rach C sharp minor prelude down. I remember your advice from WTF, and it motivated me. For some reason, people really love hearing this piece, I play at a hotel every week, it must be the contrast of the chords to the agitato chromatics and back. I'm kind of bored with the piece already but dammit, I can finally play a Rachmaninoff when somebody requests it. smile
What's a good second Rach to get started with now?
Please don't say Rach 2. I don't think my orchestra could keep up with me. smile

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Just so you know some things never change, Les Girls is still that loud audacious pink on the outside.

Roberto's, Alberto's Royberto's Aliberto's, Jilberto's, and, purportedly, Hongberto's. There might be more, can't remember. They're all at least reasonably good.

Sandy Eggo is indeed a nice place to be, if a bit crowded these days.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission