2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
37 registered members (ChrisGoesPiano, AYS, beeboss, claburo, Animisha, barbaram, 36251, EssBrace, BachToTheFuture, CyberGene, 6 invisible), 231 guests, and 457 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Upright action, sticks on slow release? #2927062 12/26/19 05:43 PM
Gary001 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a couple of keys on my piano that if released slowly will sometimes not fully release. By that, I mean the key remains partially depressed even though I'm no longer touching it. If you then attempt to play the key a second time it reacts the same as when you fail to fully release a key before repeating a note (jack jams?).

This is currently occuring whilst I'm playing a number of pieces on the A#2 and A#4 keys. It seems to occur when I'm playing softer/slower passages and have released the key slowly. I can see a visual difference in the "height" of the two keys when they're "stuck". They remain partially depressed without touching them.

I've been through a number of the other keys to release them as slow, however in all cases when I've nearly fully released the key I can hear the action free up ready for playing again. A#2 and A#4 on the other hand, will regularly stick as I slowly release them.

Any idea why these two keys may be jamming? I assume this is abnormal as the other keys I checked do not react in the same way?

Last edited by Gary001; 12/26/19 05:43 PM.

PW Recitals: LVI, XIX, XIV, XII, XI
Recent Recording: No. 9 - Nana de Mercedes (Javiere Navarette)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Gary001] #2927104 12/26/19 08:41 PM
R
Rick_Parks Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Be helpful to know if this is an upright or grand?
Either way, it sounds like your action needs to be regulated... When was the last time you had work done to it, other than tuning I mean?

If this is an upright (vertical)-- it probably needs a little lost-motion introduced.
You might try lifting the hammer-rail just slightly (just a hair off the resting point)- while you play those particular notes- see if the offenders repeat properly then... If so, you could place a few thin strips of felt under each of the hammer rail's resting points- between the bottom of the rail and the action bracket (there should already be some little block felts there- you want to just increase the amount of felt there about 1/32 to 1/16")--- thus raising the hammer rail slightly. This should be enough to solve jack hang-ups on those notes. The action will feel different though, since you introduce lost-motion between the keys and the hammers.

But, again, either way (grand or upright)- it appears you need a tech to do some work on it, get the piano back to proper playing spec's. It's called an "action regulation", or even just a partial regulation would help.

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Rick_Parks] #2927170 12/27/19 06:07 AM
Gary001 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rick_Parks
Be helpful to know if this is an upright or grand?
Either way, it sounds like your action needs to be regulated... When was the last time you had work done to it, other than tuning I mean?

It's a new upright (K300) so has yet to be tuned or have any work done other than the final setup that was done at the factory prior to shipping. I received it during November and it's due a first tuning. I'll mention it to the store and check if this could be looked into at the same time.

Last edited by Gary001; 12/27/19 06:16 AM.

Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Gary001] #2927172 12/27/19 06:26 AM
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
It may just be tight key bushings, as it's a new piano.

Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Gary001] #2927190 12/27/19 07:45 AM
P
P W Grey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Key bushings was my first thought as well. And/or excessively tight BR holes on those keys.

Pwg

Last edited by P W Grey; 12/27/19 07:47 AM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Gary001] #2927197 12/27/19 08:11 AM
R
Rick_Parks Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Agreed with others-- being a new piano--- key bushings are most likely

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Gary001] #2927254 12/27/19 11:43 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Note it and tell the technician when it is tuned. It should be covered under warranty.

Semipro Tech
Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Gary001] #2927263 12/27/19 12:26 PM
Gary001 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll ensure it's mentioned when the tuning is booked.

Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Gary001] #2931582 01/08/20 01:15 PM
Gary001 Offline OP
OP Offline
Had a tuning today and the keys were looked at. I thought at first that the issue was resolved but after further playing tonight the issue persists on one of the keys.

Before I phone the technician to ask if he can have another look at the key, could someone confirm that with an upright, if you release a key almost fully but not quite, then release it fully, the key should be playable and the jack not jam? When I release in that way, or release the key in one motion but quite slowly, the key doesn't repeat.

To be a little clearer about what I mean, in this image the part that's labelled "back check".

If you play a key, then release the key so that the back check is almost but not quite (perhaps a few mm short) of fully back to its resting position, pause then release the remainder of the way (the back check returns fully to its rest position). The key is not playable.

I'm not sure if it's how I'm releasing the key that's the issue, or if the key should still be repeatable regardless of how slowly I release it or whether I have a slight pause during release before fully releasing. None of the other keys appear to be doing this though.

tl;dr no matter how slowly I release a key, if I have completely let go of the key, should the action ensure it's always playable again?

Last edited by Gary001; 01/08/20 01:16 PM.

Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: Gary001] #2931588 01/08/20 01:43 PM
D
David Boyce Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
How you are releasing the key is NOT the issue. Could be sluggish jack flange. The action should be playable again no matter how slowly you release a key.

Re: Upright action, sticks on slow release? [Re: David Boyce] #2931832 01/09/20 05:24 AM
Gary001 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by David Boyce
How you are releasing the key is NOT the issue. Could be sluggish jack flange. The action should be playable again no matter how slowly you release a key.

Thanks for the reply. Technician has resolved the issue. I'm not sure exactly which part it was, but I think it was jack related and a little bit of extra friction compared to other keys causing it to stick when released slowly.

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,330
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission