2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
35 members (bilb, ColonelBogey, 36251, Animisha, Consul50, Chris888, brennbaer, Beansparrow, ColoRodney, 9 invisible), 454 guests, and 412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2926247 12/23/19 10:19 PM
L
LS35A Offline OP
OP Offline
L
It's only a couple of hundred bucks different. Why would someone pick one or the other?

Does the CA48 have better keys?

I've looked at the Kawai website, didn't see any info on the differences between these two.

All comments welcome.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
It looks like the CN29 has the RHIII action, while the CA48 has the arguable better GFC action. (I'm goint strictly by what I've read here; I've never played either.))

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
If between those to models I would go for the CA48. I liked the GFC action when I played a CA58. YMMV smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
I
I
The CN29 has plastic action, the CA48 has wooden action which is supposed to feel better. The CA48 came out in 2017 and the CN29 came out this year. They both have the same sound engine and same Polyphony.

P
P
CA48 for sure. I played all of Kawai's current DPs back to back for several hours and the only one I felt the action was limited by was the CN29 and the only one I wouldn't purchase. The CA48 will take you farther in development with its GFC action and can be had for a very reasonable price.

S
S
I'd definitely concur with the above replies. The CN29/39 are okay and a step up from real entry-level instruments, but the GFC action of the CA48 & 58 is a real step up again. It's the only action I'd consider at sub £2000 (unless I could get into a GF2 instrument!).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LS35A
It's only a couple of hundred bucks different. Why would someone pick one or the other?

Does the CA48 have better keys?

I've looked at the Kawai website, didn't see any info on the differences between these two.

All comments welcome.

heck LS35A, please refer to the following spec comparison:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product_comparison/detail.php?n=2512,3325&ct=36

As noted above, the CA48 features a wooden key keyboard action, however it also offers a 4-speaker speaker system and a larger cabinet. Note that the CN29 is newer than the CA48 and therefore offers some improvements to the interface and amplification system.

My recommendation would be to play-test both models and chosen the instrument you enjoy playing the most.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
kjw Offline
K
Hi everyone

I've been looking into these models extensively.
Here's a helpful comparison chart
https://www.kawai.co.uk/products/digitalpianos/comparison/ca58,ca48,cn29/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianoguy723
CA48 for sure. I played all of Kawai's current DPs back to back for several hours and the only one I felt the action was limited by was the CN29 and the only one I wouldn't purchase. The CA48 will take you farther in development with its GFC action and can be had for a very reasonable price.

When you say you felt the CN29 action "limited", exactly what you mean? You feel you have less dynamic control in your playing or you feel it's more difficult to play close to the fallboard? Or something else?

_
_
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Originally Posted by Pianoguy723

When you say you felt the CN29 action "limited", exactly what you mean? You feel you have less dynamic control in your playing or you feel it's more difficult to play close to the fallboard? Or something else?

Yes I'm curious too. To me the CN29/39 keys seemed a bit better side-by-side than those of the ES8 (both RH3). The wooden action of the CAx8 seemed different, good, but also odd in some ways so I couldn't say that it was better (the way it is advertised). But I'm no so skilled, fast etc.
I didn't spot the difference in the sound engine which I wasn't aware of in advance (some PHI, some HI-XL - different sample lengths).
Differences in built-in speakers and amp power were quite notable, for instance the CN39 sounded better than the CN29 at moderate volumes, and the higher CA models could produce more volume.

G
G
Both models are on the same range, CA48 is better mostrly because the action and better speaker system. So it depends on how much you can pay, the CA58 offer more features like usb record and line out if you are interested. If you cant go that hight, the CA39 is a more complete version of the CA29 (considering you want those extra features)

At least for me the 2 factors in the different action is the lenght key, wich makes it easier to play at the top of the keys, and the overall feel, you feel a better response or weight on the keys, with the folded keys even when they try to simulate it you get some difference from playing a hollow plastic key than a solid wood one.

Last edited by GNkyrios; 02/13/20 09:57 AM.

My piano history in about 15 months: Artesia PA88w -> Yamaha P45 -> Kawai CN 24 -> Kawai CN 37 -> Kawai CA 78
Done with: Clair de Lune - Debussy, Waltz Op. 64 no. 2 - Chopin. Looking for a new piece, kind of learning The Mandalorian theme, and practicing with Etude Op.10 no.1 - Chopin.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Soft pedal rod falling off on Kawai K500
by ADIRL - 04/18/21 11:05 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,390
Posts3,084,002
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission