2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
41 registered members (EssBrace, AYS, frankb, Frédéric L, claburo, Beowulf, florhof, ChrisGoesPiano, beeboss, Animisha, 10 invisible), 241 guests, and 492 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yamaha Smart Key #41632 07/15/03 05:29 PM
J
justme Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
J
I've been hearing all kinds of differing views on this product. Has anyone tried it out? or bought it? How do you like it?
Thank you,
justme

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Yamaha Smart Key #41633 07/15/03 05:47 PM
Luke's Dad Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another gimick. Think about it, what's one of the first thing you learn in lessons? Never look at your hands! The Smart Key (tm) trains you to disobey your teacher and look for that very next key on the keyboard.

What else does your teacher have to say about making a mistake? Keep going! Don't stop! What does the Smart Key teach you? If you play the wrong note, you better go back!

From an educational standpoint, it's not very beneficial and can be detrimental. From the standpoint of a guy who loves all things gadgity, it may be a gimick, but it's a really neat one!

Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: justme] #2925405 12/21/19 12:29 PM
L
LarryK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I know this is an old thread, but I’m looking for information about the SmartKey system.

It’s funny, my teacher does not tell to never look at my hands, she tells me to not fixate on my hands, or fixate on the music, but to calmly look back and forth, and not make a big deal out of it.

Does SmartKeys waggle chords?

Do you have to use CueTime software to enable SmartKey in your own pieces?

Information on CueTime:

https://hub.yamaha.com/cuetime-the-software-that-follows-you/

Last edited by LarryK; 12/21/19 12:30 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: LarryK] #2925703 12/22/19 09:20 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I’m just not sure about any of it. You’re probably gonna hate my answer but here goes: the best way for me to learn hand placement and what gives me the ability to play multiple measures without looking at my hands is to practice two handed scales in all major and minor keys and then all the chord cadences major and minor keys. Recently I just warm up with the scales and chord cadences for each piece in my practice repertoire. I only have to quickly look down quickly for big jumps these days. Plus my adjustable music desk is kept such that a quick glance down is easy and natural. Because I have a grand, the adjustable music desk is standard. Memorizing two handed scale fingering and chord cadences also help train my ears. I also have music with the chords printed on top of the score and when I’m playing a new piece I’m learning the chord changes. It is old fashioned but guess what, it’s in my head and I take it to whichever piano I’m playing. Plus, I can spend all my money budgeted for piano for the best acoustic piano to my ears and fingers and not spend it on electronic enhancements that are outmoded far quicker than acoustic piano technology. I’m probably not alone in my thinking but in the acoustic piano world, for me, old school rules. I don’t want to be dependent on electronic enhancements to play my acoustic piano. That’s my 2 cents worth. Best wishes on your piano hunt.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: LarryK] #2925704 12/22/19 09:23 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
I know this is an old thread, but I’m looking for information about the SmartKey system.

It’s funny, my teacher does not tell to never look at my hands, she tells me to not fixate on my hands, or fixate on the music, but to calmly look back and forth, and not make a big deal out of it.

Does SmartKeys waggle chords?

Do you have to use CueTime software to enable SmartKey in your own pieces?

Information on CueTime:

https://hub.yamaha.com/cuetime-the-software-that-follows-you/

Although this thread is labelled Smart Key and you are asking about the Smart Key, I predict that 80+% of the answers will not be about the Smart Key wink ... including my post here! grin

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: justme] #2925708 12/22/19 09:34 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Here is an explanation of Smart Key: the key waggles, telling you where to move your hands and waits for you to depress the keys
https://www.total-piano-care.com/Yamaha-Disklavier-SmartKey.html

This is a crutch application for those who are not interested in REALLY learning to play, but want to fake it to impress. Please, don’t go here!!!! It is a shortcut that will slow down really learning to play. Repeat after me: there are no gimmicks and no shortcuts 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: justme] #2925719 12/22/19 10:04 AM
D
dhull100 Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
I just don’t see how this could possibly determine ones “success” with an instrument. Perhaps it would help some. For anything of much substance there will be several simultaneously wiggling or slightly depressed keys. Seems like a torture to deal with and something to go wrong mechanically. I can’t see how it would help the important mental process of understanding things musically. On the other hand, if it puts more pianos in homes, good!

Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: justme] #2925720 12/22/19 10:05 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
dogperson, can you tell me how SmartKey is worse than for example, learning like this- You learn a piece and you miss an accidental. Your teacher hears you play and says, "you didn't read the note correctly, that should be an A# and not an Ab." You make the correction and continue.

SmartKey will just do this before your teacher has a chance to correct, and before you've practiced 50 times with the wrong note.

SmartKey is only a tool. If LarryK uses it as a Synthesia substitute, then he gets what he deserves. But if he uses it as a piano teacher between lessons just to correct his music reading, what is wrong with that? In the modern world, we see how therapeutic drugs are misused. I don't think it is fair to already plan for misuse of the SmartKey feature. Certainly LarryK will not be using it as a substitute for reading... not with a Russian piano teacher as he has.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: justme] #2925724 12/22/19 10:21 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
How is it anything but a substitute to musical reading? It tells you what to play before you play the note; it doesn’t beep afterwards to let you know that a wrong one had been played. When you are learning, you don’t want to put anything in the middle of quickly seeing the note, playing the note, and letting your ears assess if you have made an error. Being sble to hear your own errors also needs development. With this program, your hands move to the waggling keys not to where your brain directs you

It is only a shortcut to this process and indeed does work like synthesia except it doesn’t move on until you have hit the right key. I cannot see how this is just a tool( it is a substitute

Last edited by dogperson; 12/22/19 10:30 AM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2925728 12/22/19 10:36 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
dogperson, can you tell me how SmartKey is worse than for example, learning like this- You learn a piece and you miss an accidental. Your teacher hears you play and says, "you didn't read the note correctly, that should be an A# and not an Ab." You make the correction and continue.

SmartKey will just do this before your teacher has a chance to correct, and before you've practiced 50 times with the wrong note.

SmartKey is only a tool. If LarryK uses it as a Synthesia substitute, then he gets what he deserves. But if he uses it as a piano teacher between lessons just to correct his music reading, what is wrong with that? In the modern world, we see how therapeutic drugs are misused. I don't think it is fair to already plan for misuse of the SmartKey feature. Certainly LarryK will not be using it as a substitute for reading... not with a Russian piano teacher as he has.

I’m not assuming LarryK will misuse the SmartKey feature. All my post suggested is that it is an electronic help like training wheels. IMHO it’s better to train my hands and fingers and ears the old fashioned way. If I miss an accidental my own ears tell me I hit the wrong note in the moment so I don’t practice it wrong 50 times before my teacher corrects it. Plus practicing scales and chord cadences trains our own ears so we don’t need key waggling to point out the correct key. They do make 3 wheeled bicycles for adults that never learned to ride a two wheeled bike, but the adult that knows how to balance riding a two wheeled bicycle has far more choice and options if they don’t need a third wheel or training wheels.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: dogperson] #2925732 12/22/19 10:48 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
How is it anything but a substitute to musical reading? It tells you what to play before you play the note; it doesn’t beep afterwards to let you know that a wrong one had been played. When you are learning, you don’t want to put anything in the middle of quickly seeing the note, playing the note, and letting your ears assess if you have made an error. Being sble to hear your own errors also needs development. With this program, your hands move to the waggling keys not to where your brain directs you

It is only a shortcut to this process and indeed does work like synthesia except it doesn’t move on until you have hit the right key. I cannot see how this is just a tool( it is a substitute

This is of course assuming LarryK always uses SmartKeys. But based one what I know of it (just reading this thread and the marketing sheet), if I had it, I would not use it all the time. I would probably use it once after I learn a section, and probably only if it had lots of accidentals. I'd use it just to make sure I had the notes right. I certainly wouldn't leave it on all the time. As has been said, I think all the wiggling would become annoying very quickly.

[Linked Image]

Re: Yamaha Smart Key [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2925737 12/22/19 11:09 AM
L
LarryK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by dogperson

This is of course assuming LarryK always uses SmartKeys. But based one what I know of it (just reading this thread and the marketing sheet), if I had it, I would not use it all the time. I would probably use it once after I learn a section, and probably only if it had lots of accidentals. I'd use it just to make sure I had the notes right. I certainly wouldn't leave it on all the time. As has been said, I think all the wiggling would become annoying very quickly.

I wasn’t planning on using it all the time, just once in a while to see if it would help me identify wrong notes. If it is just a physical Synthesia that always waits for me to play the right notes then I’m not sure it is useful. Will it wait for all of the notes of a chord to be placed? Hugh Sung demonstrated it with one finger picking out a single note melody. That’s not what I want at all.

Even if this is not useful, I still want a Disklavier so that I can review my playing and see where I went wrong, and, yeah, I want to see the keys and the pedal move. I certainly don’t always remember if I got the pedaling right and I suppose wrong notes can creep in in difficult passages.

I’m not looking for a shortcut, just something that could help once in a while. I will always be reading the music.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,055
Posts2,927,347
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission