2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2925467 12/21/19 03:55 PM
OP Offline
I have a be a Yamaha S400B. I love it! I live in Minneapolis where humidity fluctuates from 10%-90% over the year. I try to maintain my piano at 42% humidity. I’ve been able to do this pretty well using a dehumidifier and air conditioning in the summer and then the furnace humidifier and a room humidifier in the winter. However, I seem to spend more time trying to regulate the humidity and keep it consistent than I do playing! :-). I know dampp chaser’s can be pretty good in upright pianos but do they really work well on a 6 1/2 foot grand piano?

Thanks,
Mike

Technique is a means to an end, but if you don't have any, it's the end!
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
They don't work AS WELL in a grand, however with the addition of an undercover as well as possibly a full top cover, they can be an excellent augmentation to your room control.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Peter might do a double take on this one smile
If you do not wish to be bothered about the room climate control-- then yes, I would say a Damp-Chaser system (the double bucket system) would work to keep it in order.

I installed one at the local high school years back on a 7' grand there...The instrument was continually fluctuating wildly sharp and then flat, because they could not control the stage and auditorium... The Damp-Chaser has kept it within 3 cents each time I've been out since. Been about 6 years now. Just tuned it the other week-- was slightly more out because they hadn't tuned it the last round.

So, the system does definitely keep the instrument stable for tunings. What I've always questioned was the long-term possibilities of problems they might result in for the instrument (soundboard and pinblock in particular). No testing has ever been done from this standpoint. Ahhh, but this has all been argued many a time, so I'll stick with a, 'go-for-it', if you cannot be bothered to keep the room controled. Always best to keep the room controlled so that the piano has 1 climate to dwell in.

Now, does somebody want to help Peter up off the floor?

Last edited by Rick_Parks; 12/21/19 08:56 PM.

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I live in similar climate and found that using this programmable controller for the humidifier and dehumidifier simplified things for me. It will choose which device to send power to based on the room humidity so at least you don't have to fiddle with that part. So when my central furnace humidifier can't provide enough humidity, the standalone humidifier will be turned on to help. When the central air conditioning can't remove enough moisture, the dehumidifier will be turned on to help. I also like the controller because the humidity sensor is on a cable which I hung under my soundboard.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
MarkL, if only there were more people like you out there! smile The world would be a much better place to work in!

Last edited by Rick_Parks; 12/21/19 09:22 PM.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Mike,

I live where RH fluctuations are even worse than where you are. For sure a DC system will help protect your piano and keep the tunings more stable, even without your room control. One thing to follow with discipline though with a grand is to always close the lid after playing. I personally use a custom electronic controller with my DC system as here the optimal setting for RH is not the same (see my sig if needed - still works perfectly after 7 years).

F
F
Here in Detroit humidity and temperature fluctuate wildly. My house is a sieve.

On my 7 foot grand the dampp chaser keeps me inside 5 cents but more typically 3. I do spot tunings every few months and a full tune twice a year. There is a lot of guess work that goes into deciding how much to "stretch" my piano's tuning but once I decide it pretty much stays there.

Just do it. -- Nike
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I’m considering the purchase of a Yamaha DYUS1, a YUS1 with Disklavier and I don’t think it is recommended to install a DamppChaser inside with the electronics, is it?

I see there was an external system that went between the back posts:

BSV8PS-SB

but I can’t find it on the Dampp Chaser website. Is it still manufactured?

We live in New York City and our humidity does fluctuate between 20-70%+, I guess.

What are the risks of not installing one?

S
S

MarkL (quote)
I live in similar climate and found that using this programmable controller for the humidifier and dehumidifier simplified things for me.

I have for 2 years used this same controller by InkBird to regulate 2 DC dehumidifier rods on my grand. I don't need a humidifier in San Francisco, The unit is marketed to small commercial greenhouses and works flawlessly. It has a corded very accurate remote sensor that goes under the soundboard, while the unit itself with an LED readout mounts on the wall next to the piano. This allows me to easily keep an eye on the relative humidity of the soundboard.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
LarryK,

You simply discuss the matter with your tech/installer. He/she will order it. It is VERY effective.

Rick,

With effort I have picked my self up off the floor, a little bruised and confused, but nonetheless happy. 😁

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by P W Grey
LarryK,

You simply discuss the matter with your tech/installer. He/she will order it. It is VERY effective.

Rick,

With effort I have picked my self up off the floor, a little bruised and confused, but nonetheless happy. 😁

Pwg

Thanks. When the time comes, I will order it. So, it is effective even though it is mounted on the back side? Is the back covered?

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
It is even better! It is a pain in the neck to install, plus you have to move the piano out from the wall to replace humidifier wicks, but it does in fact work better than the "normal" system.

Pwg

Last edited by P W Grey; 12/22/19 02:29 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Rick_Parks
MarkL, if only there were more people like you out there! smile The world would be a much better place to work in!

Actually the last time my tuner was here he told me I was putting him out of business. It had been a year since the previous tuning and he said there was nothing to do. I took him out to lunch so he wouldn't go hungry.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
I cannot speak with absolute certainty as to precisely why it seems to work better, but it does seem to. I'm sure it has something to do with the back cover keeping things enclosed. One could possibly argue that a back cover would help the normal internal system as well and I would agree with that argument.

Some have suggested that the addition and subtraction of moisture from the crowned side of the sound board (internal) is detrimental to the SB in and of itself, whereas placing it on the opposite side (the back) would enhance the construction method in the SB. This may have merit but I have no accurate data to prove it one way or another. All I can say is that the one back side system I have installed took an insanely crazy unstable piano and turned it into a rock solid instrument that barely needs touch up once a year. (But what a project installing the thing!...😩😂😲😣😢😞😂😩😲). Had no choice though because there was absolutely no place to put it internally.

Oh, I almost forgot. The humidistat is located INSIDE the piano, whereas the humidifier/dehumidifier is located outside. This may also have something to do with it...maybe .

Pwg

Last edited by P W Grey; 12/22/19 07:11 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by P W Grey
I cannot speak with absolute certainty as to precisely why it seems to work better, but it does seem to. I'm sure it has something to do with the back cover keeping things enclosed. One could possibly argue that a back cover would help the normal internal system as well and I would agree with that argument.
N
Some have suggested that the addition and subtraction of moisture from the crowned side of the sound board (internal) is detrimental to the SB in and of itself, whereas placing it on the opposite side (the back) would enhance the construction method in the SB. This may have merit but I have no accurate data to prove it one way or another. All I can say is that the one back side system I have installed took an insanely crazy unstable piano and turned it into a rock solid instrument that barely needs touch up once a year. (But what a project installing the thing!...😩😂😲😣😢😞😂😩😲). Had no choice though because there was absolutely no place to put it internally.

Oh, I almost forgot. The humidistat is located INSIDE the piano, whereas the humidifier/dehumidifier is located outside. This may also have something to do with it...maybe .

Pwg

Interesting. Thanks for that information. Does the back cover change the sound?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Brilliant!

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
No change in sound. It's basically high quality speaker cloth.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Will make one more point about the Damp-Chasers. If you are going to order the system, make a commitment now that you WILL do the upkeep that is needed:

- Water must be added EACH time the light comes on for it (you cannot just ignore it)-- else your humidifier pads will dry up and basically, in the end, destroy the sensors they rest on.

- The Pads for the humidifier are required to be changed 2 times a year (normally by the tech- but you could do it if he/she showed you how)--- or else, you'll end up with a crusty mess in the humidifier buckets!

- AND, make sure the water does not stand in the hose to the buckets--- clear the hose out each time completely (this is the biggest challenge for the customers, in my opinion). A slime will build up, turn black, and mildew will set-in in the hoses and spread throughout.

- OH, and NEVER EVER unplug the system and forget to plug it back in------- that's probably 2nd place on the list of things that happen.

Just, let me be clear-- these systems can quickly become a REAL MESS if they are not paid attention to properly. I would say that it only really takes 1 year of neglect (from what I've seen), and you'll be paying extra to clean it all up.

I'm sure your tech will inform you on all this at the time--- but just wanted to give you a heads up that all is not hands off and let it do the work.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Rick_Parks
Will make one more point about the Damp-Chasers. If you are going to order the system, make a commitment now that you WILL do the upkeep that is needed:

- Water must be added EACH time the light comes on for it (you cannot just ignore it)-- else your humidifier pads will dry up and basically, in the end, destroy the sensors they rest on.

- The Pads for the humidifier are required to be changed 2 times a year (normally by the tech- but you could do it if he/she showed you how)--- or else, you'll end up with a crusty mess in the humidifier buckets!

- AND, make sure the water does not stand in the hose to the buckets--- clear the hose out each time completely (this is the biggest challenge for the customers, in my opinion). A slime will build up, turn black, and mildew will set-in in the hoses and spread throughout.

- OH, and NEVER EVER unplug the system and forget to plug it back in------- that's probably 2nd place on the list of things that happen.

Just, let me be clear-- these systems can quickly become a REAL MESS if they are not paid attention to properly. I would say that it only really takes 1 year of neglect (from what I've seen), and you'll be paying extra to clean it all up.

I'm sure your tech will inform you on all this at the time--- but just wanted to give you a heads up that all is not hands off and let it do the work.

Wise words, thanks for posting these warnings.

I would program events in my iPhone to make sure I did the necessary maintenance.

Do you use distilled water or regular tap water?

Last edited by LarryK; 12/23/19 08:56 PM.
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
These issues are minimized with the use of distilled water. Of course use of the DC pad treatment is mandatory.

As with cars...neglect leads to problems and poor performance.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission