2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (drumour, ejlamas, dorfmouse, Alex.G, CyberGene, David B, chrisbell, GoFlying, barbaram, aphexdisklavier, 6 invisible), 471 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
I
Congrats. The P515 is excellent!

Last edited by Inrai; 12/21/19 11:32 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by Boboulus

I also guess the inbuilt USB Audio Interface is really nice to have since you are going to run VST. Or maybe that doesn’t matter if you are using BT Midi?

That didn't work with my old Vista laptop . . . . .didn't really expect it to.

It should work, try downloading the latest usb device audio drivers for your vista computer.

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I also guess the inbuilt USB Audio Interface is really nice to have since you are going to run VST. Or maybe that doesn’t matter if you are using BT Midi?

That didn't work with my old Vista laptop . . . . .didn't really expect it to.

It should work, try downloading the latest usb device audio drivers for your vista computer.

I guess I could but the old UM-1 Roland device (don't know what it is, but it works using the 2 MIDI sockets and a usb plug into the computer) suffices as it did with my FP50.
Only problem I have now, is the audio input is linked to the piano volume control, and that is unfortunately, fixed in stone!

But the rest is nearly good to go. Pianoteq needs no extra speakers, the piano native voices also need no externals. I'm using "local control - off" to separate the two at present. And I've got Bright Piano and Bosendorfer both sounding great.

Last edited by peterws; 12/21/19 02:26 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
B
Cool, if it works for you smile

There is also a firmware on yamahas site for the audio device that you might want to test? smile

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-515/downloads.html

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member

There is also a firmware on yamahas site for the audio device that you might want to test? smile

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-515/downloads.html

I'll keep out of the complex stuff. What I would like to do is de-tune it a tad. It's too perfect, and all the pianos are tuned identically. That is not good . . . but I suppose then all the pianos would be de-tuned identically too.
That would do my head in . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What do you mean you would like to de-tune the piano? The CFX sound?

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano

Well, yes. It's too perfect. No piano (I'm ever likely to play on) is that perfect . . . . .but I got an even better solution. I run Pianoteq alongside, and the difference in tuning between that and the Yamaha creates a similar effect. Variable depending on how much I feed in.

NOW my piano's good!

"[Linked Image]"
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano

Well, yes. It's too perfect. No piano (I'm ever likely to play on) is that perfect . . . . .but I got an even better solution. I run Pianoteq alongside, and the difference in tuning between that and the Yamaha creates a similar effect. Variable depending on how much I feed in.

NOW my piano's good!

Pianoteq also allows detuning. You can select the random detuning of a few cents if you just would prefer a slightly more honky tonk piano.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
But ... a piano cannot be tuned perfectly, right?

Anyway ... the CFX VST is a sampler ... so it cannot be detuned. But why would you want to?
A detuned piano is either (a) a reminder from your acoustic piano to call up your piano tuner for a visit or (b) a candidate for a saloon piano in Hollywood western movie.

Detuning spoils the sound. It's not something I'd wish for!

You say you play Pianoteq alongside the CFX? Well, if spoiled sound is what you want then that's the perfect solution.
There's nothing quite like Pianoteq to spoil the sound. smile

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
But ... a piano cannot be tuned perfectly, right?

Anyway ... the CFX VST is a sampler ... so it cannot be detuned. But why would you want to?
A detuned piano is either (a) a reminder from your acoustic piano to call up your piano tuner for a visit or (b) a candidate for a saloon piano in Hollywood western movie.

Detuning spoils the sound. It's not something I'd wish for!

You say you play Pianoteq alongside the CFX? Well, if spoiled sound is what you want then that's the perfect solution.
There's nothing quite like Pianoteq to spoil the sound. smile

You want to hear it, Mac. A little bit of Bluthner livens up Bosendorfer nicely. Through it's own speakers, too. Yes, the CFX is good, certainly good enough. But one suspects a certain amount of jiggery-pokery going on here.

The samples used for the CFX and Bosendorfer are likely to be different. The first sounds very acceptable (without actually having heard one live) but the Bosie? It's got to sound much better than that in real life. Nobody'd want one if it didn't.
ALL the pianos, be they jazz, bright, mellow. etc are all are so perfectly tuned, you cannot detect the double or triple strings . . . .
That being the case, does 88 note tuning actually count for anything anymore? Have Yamaha introduced modelling onto their samples? The metallic sound is evident after a certain force is applied, and seems little different to that on the Roland I had.

Having said all this, overall I'm happy with it. It has shiny embellishments on the stand and piano, the pedal unit looks classy and the music stand will hold four A4s. Not bad for £1350 all in.

"[Linked Image]"
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

I'll keep out of the complex stuff. What I would like to do is de-tune it a tad. It's too perfect, and all the pianos are tuned identically. That is not good . . . but I suppose then all the pianos would be de-tuned identically too.
That would do my head in . . . .

When I was researching the P515 almost won me over. I liked it more than the ES8, the Roland FP-90 and even the Roland LX-705.

One of the detractors was how perfect the sound was. It felt clinical to me, I can understand 💯 why you feel the way you do and I am pleased you found a fix that works for you.

I felt the connection between the key action and the sound was really good. Interestingly my impression is the action is the best of the Yamaha actions below the hybrids.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Interesting that you liked the P-515 more than the LX-705. I owned an LX-17 prior to my current P-515, and I prefer the P-515, too.

Regarding the ‘sound’, I was not too crazy about it initially; however, I decided to blend/mix it with Pianoteq, and the result is just awesome. Truly this is one of the best boards Yamaha has released in years; especially considering its price and how it holds up -and sometimes even beats- much more expensive pianos.

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Interesting that you liked the P-515 more than the LX-705. I owned an LX-17 prior to my current P-515, and I prefer the P-515, too.

Regarding the ‘sound’, I was not too crazy about it initially; however, I decided to blend/mix it with Pianoteq, and the result is just awesome. Truly this is one of the best boards Yamaha has released in years; especially considering its price and how it holds up -and sometimes even beats- much more expensive pianos.

Do you have a suitable blend for the Bosendorfer?. . .I find that nice dark, soft sound that needs more tweaking than it should . . .

"[Linked Image]"
It seems theré’s a subwoofer that was supposedly developed for the P515, the Yamaha KS-SW100. Any truth in that and does it come recommended ?

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai MP11SE, Kawai CA58
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Pete14

Do you have a suitable blend for the Bosendorfer?. . .I find that nice dark, soft sound that needs more tweaking than it should . . .

I’ve not tinkered with the BallsandDorfer yet, but at some point I will. I’m currently mixing the Steingraeber with the CFX.
I’ve noticed that using and editing/balancing the reverb from both sources works very well. It’s as if the two reverbs complement each other.

B
B
Originally Posted by ChrisGoesPiano
It seems theré’s a subwoofer that was supposedly developed for the P515, the Yamaha KS-SW100. Any truth in that and does it come recommended ?

It seems to be the exact same subwoofer as the home theatre version called NS-SW050 but you get cables suitable for a musical instrument rather then surround sound receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-100W-Powered-Subwoofer-NS-SW050BL/dp/B06XRK5ZJN

I’m also very interested if this will actually add anything to the sound and if it’s with it smile

peterws Offline OP
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I think I got onto the Dark Side of the 515. It is under "systems", and I managed to expertly disable the right pedal. And couldn't get it back on again. I still can't remember what I did to reverse that, But deeper in I went, and managed it.
You can also vary the touch by up to 127, which will hold good for individual instruments.
So I crank up the Bosie, to make it usefully lively, and calm down the metallic in CFX.
Settings such as "Soft 1" which I use across the board to take out the tinnyness (no choice; all pianos affected) still stand.

No. I don't really understand either. But it works!

"[Linked Image]"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Soft pedal rod falling off on Kawai K500
by ADIRL - 04/18/21 11:05 PM
re-felting hammers
by tjazz - 04/18/21 09:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,390
Posts3,083,993
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission