2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (arlie, BMKE, ambrozy, Animisha, accordeur, anotherscott, 17 invisible), 685 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Well I did it.
I happened to be at the mall and went by the music store where they NEVER have real pianos, just digital ones of varying kinds but as I looked in it SEEMED like they had a couple of new grands so I went in and sure enough they had a K. Kawai and a Yamaha grand so I sat down to try them.

I don't know what the K. Kawai was but the Yamaha was a GB1K PE/LZ. Apparently a 5' grand.

I have a Weber upright that I love but in the back of my mind, I've often wondered if the experience of playing on a grand would be different enough to warrant the upgrade. We are moving to Florida to our final retirement home next year and so my plan was to trade up my current upright to a grand, but i've waffled on that idea, back and forth wondering if it was worth it.

Now I know.

From the first few notes I I was blown away. My wife when "whoa!" when she heard it. I couldn't believe how different it was in sound and feel. I can only say that it was awesome.

From that experience I've decided to trade up when the time comes for sure.

PS: I was pretty proud of myself that I didn't choke while playing in the store, normally I'd freeze but I've been getting better at just playing and not freezing in front of folks but after I played a kid sat down (looked like he was about 14 or 15 years old) and proceeded to play about 20 times better than I did! Lol.

Oh well...it's always gonna happen, there's always a young one that's better than you.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Of course a grand is great, but I think it can also be quite a difference playing in a large space, compared to a small space.

It might have been not only the grand that gave you this great experience, but yes, I would definitely also prefer a grand!

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob
Well I did it.
I happened to be at the mall and went by the music store where they NEVER have real pianos, just digital ones of varying kinds but as I looked in it SEEMED like they had a couple of new grands so I went in and sure enough they had a K. Kawai and a Yamaha grand so I sat down to try them.

I don't know what the K. Kawai was but the Yamaha was a GB1K PE/LZ. Apparently a 5' grand.

I have a Weber upright that I love but in the back of my mind, I've often wondered if the experience of playing on a grand would be different enough to warrant the upgrade. We are moving to Florida to our final retirement home next year and so my plan was to trade up my current upright to a grand, but i've waffled on that idea, back and forth wondering if it was worth it.

Now I know.

From the first few notes I I was blown away. My wife when "whoa!" when she heard it. I couldn't believe how different it was in sound and feel. I can only say that it was awesome.

PS: I was pretty proud of myself that I didn't choke while playing in the store, normally I'd freeze but I've been getting better at just playing and not freezing in front of folks but after I played a kid sat down (looked like he was about 14 or 15 years old) and proceeded to play about 20 times better than I did! Lol.

Oh well...it's always gonna happen, there's always a young one that's better than you.

Just wait until you play a grand that’s a bit bigger. Like a GC2 or a C2X or even a C3X or similar sized Kawai. It will blow your mind.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by j&j
Well I did it.

Now I know.

Just wait until you play a grand that’s a bit bigger. Like a GC2 or a C2X or even a C3X or similar sized Kawai. It will blow your mind.

OH boy...my wallet is trembling. smile

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
No, it should be jumping of joy smile

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
You definitely have the fever! IIRC, your first posts were about free and cheap used uprights, then you bought a brand new upright! Now you're aching for a grand! smile

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
You definitely have the fever! IIRC, your first posts were about free and cheap used uprights, then you bought a brand new upright! Now you're aching for a grand! smile

Haha...yeah, I remember. I didn't know how this would work out and now that I'm getting comfortable with it, I can see that I will play for a long time so the cost of upgrading is worth it.

Now to decide to take Graves up on their offer of "100% trade up value" or just shop at a Florida dealer and see if I can get them to buy my upright.

Graves deals in Seiler, Baldwin, Bechstein, Steinway, Boston, Essex, August Forster, and Knabe. (but not Yamaha or Kawai)

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Haha...yeah, I remember. I didn't know how this would work out and now that I'm getting comfortable with it, I can see that I will play for a long time so the cost of upgrading is worth it.

Now to decide to take Graves up on their offer of "100% trade up value" or just shop at a Florida dealer and see if I can get them to buy my upright.

Graves deals in Seiler, Baldwin, Bechstein, Steinway, Boston, Essex, August Forster, and Knabe. (but not Yamaha or Kawai)

Why not check out both? Most piano dealers do take trade in but of course you get the most trade in from the dealer where you purchased it. The best thing for your pocketbook is to sell your upright yourself and then you can freely shop wherever you want. OTOH 100% trade in option is more expensive in both the long run and short run but I detest people traipsing through my house to play the piano for sale, bring up everything wrong they find so they can insult me with a really low ball offer. And if they do decide to buy it and we agree on a price, we then have to figure how they’re gonna pay. There’s so much forgery around why would I put myself through that hassle. I have heard good things about PianoMart with their reliable escrow. I know I’m paying for the convenience but I always trade in.

J & J
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by j&j

Why not check out both? Most piano dealers do take trade in but of course you get the most trade in from the dealer where you purchased it. The best thing for your pocketbook is to sell your upright yourself and then you can freely shop wherever you want. OTOH 100% trade in option is more expensive in both the long run and short run but I detest people traipsing through my house to play the piano for sale, bring up everything wrong they find so they can insult me with a really low ball offer. And if they do decide to buy it and we agree on a price, we then have to figure how they’re gonna pay. There’s so much forgery around why would I put myself through that hassle. I have heard good things about PianoMart with their reliable escrow. I know I’m paying for the convenience but I always trade in.

I know. I'm selling some almost new weight lifting gear and getting all kinds of idiots offering peanuts. (and one guy offered peanuts and asked me if I'd drive to HIS place of out state to deliver it.)

I'll check piano mart, I hadn't thought of that. I was going to spend 1,200 to ship it to Florida so that means that I could take a bit less for sale and still come out ok.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Before deciding whether to do trade-in where you live now or buy after moving, how about first trying to get an idea of which piano/brand you like? Then maybe you could make your decision based on what's available?

If you like the G-series Yamaha and the Kawai, you really need to try a Yamaha C-series! (not that I'm biased or anything... whome

Also you should try to compare lengths. Kawai has several size options, as does Yamaha. The Yamaha C1 is 5'3", the C2 is 5'8", and then the C3 is just over 6' (I can't remember if it's 6'1" or 6'3")

If you really want to stay smaller, definitely try a Boston... i think it's the GP163 (5'4") that I played, I played a couple different Boston 163 models in different dealerships, and I played some of their longer models too. I loved every Boston I played and can't recommend them enough.

I also really liked the Seiler I played, but have never played a Bechstein. And of the Steinways I played, some were fantastic but I could never justify the expense.

The other thing to decide, if you haven't already, is whether you plan to buy used or new, and then that will influence your decisions as well.

But, either way, now you have another excuse to go piano shopping! laugh

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the insight Shirokuro!

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member
If you really want to upgrade in a serious way--just noting some of the premium names mentioned above--a strategic purchase could save you more than you might "lose" on your upright. For example, you could look at rebuilt pianos at Cunningham (Philly) or Pianocraft (metro Washington), which aren't terribly far from you. Pianoworks (Atlanta) would be closer to Florida, although I'm sure all three can ship to Florida. All three have active members here, and are well-respected for doing good work.

Another strategic option is to simply watch and wait for a deal on a nice second-hand grand piano. Buying that way is similar to selling that way in that it takes more time but you are more likely to maximize your end of the deal. Instead of being the guy who's receiving low-ball offers for something he can't otherwise sell, be the guy making a reasonable offer on a piano someone else can't sell.

In any case, take your time and make a good choice. Avoid impulse buying! thumb

How to Upload Pictures

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

The piano is addictive! smile
I'm glad you're enjoying it so much! thumb

How to Upload Pictures

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you really want to upgrade in a serious way--just noting some of the premium names mentioned above--a strategic purchase could save you more than you might "lose" on your upright. For example, you could look at rebuilt pianos at Cunningham (Philly) or Pianocraft (metro Washington), which aren't terribly far from you. Pianoworks (Atlanta) would be closer to Florida, although I'm sure all three can ship to Florida. All three have active members here, and are well-respected for doing good work.

Another strategic option is to simply watch and wait for a deal on a nice second-hand grand piano. Buying that way is similar to selling that way in that it takes more time but you are more likely to maximize your end of the deal. Instead of being the guy who's receiving low-ball offers for something he can't otherwise sell, be the guy making a reasonable offer on a piano someone else can't sell.

In any case, take your time and make a good choice. Avoid impulse buying! thumb

Excellent advice. If you do go to Cunningham pianos, do check out their Cunningham grands. I’ve heard good reviews about Cunningham pianos and yet they’re quite reasonably priced.

J & J
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, in general the difference between uprights and grands is remarkable, however there are some upright models that do a very nice job. I'd take a nice upright over a poorly build, poorly regulated, and poorly voiced grand any day.

Ditto on doing lots of shopping and research before taking the leap to purchase a piano. I think i'd make my purchase in Florida after you make the move, unless you come across your dream piano at an incredible deal. I haven't had to move a piano across the country, but i have read the stories here on PW. I'd try to avoid that if at all possible, IMHO.

Enjoy the quest!

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Boston and Kawai are my favorites! Some used Petrofs are wonderful.
Yamaha always great !

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by GC13
Yes, in general the difference between uprights and grands is remarkable, however there are some upright models that do a very nice job. I'd take a nice upright over a poorly build, poorly regulated, and poorly voiced grand any day.

Well yes that makes sense, it's like saying i'd take a nice well driving Toyota Starlett over a poorly maintained Renault Mégane Estate that goes left if you don't hang on to the steering wheel. smile

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks everyone! I'll wait until we get to Florida and then scout what's available at the local stores there and then decide.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone! I'll wait until we get to Florida and then scout what's available at the local stores there and then decide.

I don’t know what will be your location in Florida but I would recommend doing s little internet shopping to see what brands will be available. You may find the choices more limited.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
D
D
I know what you mean. I had a nice Baldwin Hamilton console for decades, was very happy with it. Then visited a friend who had a nice grand, and the effect was immediate. The timing was bad for me financially then, so I went out and got a very poor baby grand for under $4K, but it had a 100% trade-in upgrade deal. Even so I was happy with it - for a while. Now that I've had it over a year, I'm not so happy. Dampers keep getting stuck, and while it is under warranty and they fix for free, it happens a lot. Thus my other post about choosing another better used piano. I have to add that the difference in how it feels to play was not something I expected, or can communicate to people who only listen. They think it's all about the sound and tone.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions regarding Regulation
by rickshapiro - 05/23/22 11:17 AM
Laptop Holder Advice - Korg Grandstage
by skelly - 05/23/22 11:09 AM
A fairly rare digital sensor mechanism
by Gombessa - 05/22/22 10:59 PM
How To Become Best Sight Reader Ever?!
by joe3701 - 05/22/22 07:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,191
Posts3,193,851
Members105,344
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission