2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Moo :)
In UK any prescription drugs, these means anything that need to be prescribed by a doctor, none of these are allowed to be advertised in TV. You can advertise only on drugs can buy from a pharmacy. These are limited like paracetamol or ibuprofen. No mental health drugs can be advertised directly to the public. You can advertise in a medical journal. The pharmaceutical industry in UK has less influence. In UK drugs are prescribed by there drug name not the brand. Uk psych doctors do not know drugs or prescribe by brands. We have a very different health system. We are trained to keep people out the mental health system and not medicalise normality.

I sure wish it was like that here in the US. More and more, I find the practices of this country to be extremely aggravating, annoying, and downright disturbing. Everything is about money and making money. I hate it.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I did get a few requests for Xanax? I did not know what it was so had to google it. I think some of the kids hear about it somewhere. Possible there is ways to market over the internet. I think the internet can’t be policed. I have honestly never seen any adverts for drugs before on the internet so not sure where they heard about it. It is a Benzo called alprazolam. I’m not sure what for as benzos has a bad rep in UK due to dependency. Alprazolam is not available in UK as it was never licensed on nhs and so I can’t prescribe. Yet it is one of the commonest in USA.

Here are the top 200 drugs prescribed in the US:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6025009/

Oh, Americans are on a lot of drugs, a fate I hope to avoid.

Some retired people are on 10-20 different prescriptions. You see, no doctor will take a person off of a drug because they're afraid of being blamed if something bad happens, but they're always willing to prescribe a new prescription.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/16/...ence%20%20Technology&pgtype=Homepage

Last edited by LarryK; 12/17/19 10:17 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I just wanted to thank alot of the posters , reading these really helped me to sort out my issues. Even though this is a piano forum.
[and I'll make myself more aware when posting] the info was truly helpful.

H
H
My weakness is for collecting VSTs. I used to use Ableton Live but switched to Reaper because Live was taking too long to load the VSTs I had!

The worst addiction I have seen personally was someone that had more ukes than Elderly Instruments has on display. Easily over 100 ukes all kept in their opened boxes or cases in a room full of shelves like it was a library. Quite impressive. Reminded me of the Synth museum that Look Mum No Computer visited on his youtube channel.

currently on the 4A books on Piano Marvel
That video made my day. When I die I want to end up there.

[Linked Image]
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I can't throw things away easily, too. I use the following trick to make it easier.

Every year I place a big box or two in my closet and write the year number on it. When I feel I need to throw something away, I don't just throw it away, instead I put it into the box. At the end of the year I seal the box and I say to myself that I will store it for 3 more years, and if I don't need anything from the box during 3 years, I will throw the box away.

Surprisingly I've never ever opened any of these boxes. In 3 years I forget completely what is in the box and I throw it away serenely.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Terry Michael
That video made my day. When I die I want to end up there.

That place is absolutely amazing!

P
P
Originally Posted by piano_primo_1
I just wanted to thank alot of the posters , reading these really helped me to sort out my issues. Even though this is a piano forum.
[and I'll make myself more aware when posting] the info was truly helpful.

I have been through the therapist route for anxiety. It found it very good to have an impartial person to talk about the problem. However, I found the first therapist and I did not connect very well so I moved on to another one which worked out very good. Don't feel bad about switching.

What I learned through the process is about a human being's ego. It is this that primarily drives human behavior. There is a voice in your head driving you to do these things (hoarding, worry, etc.), and rationalizing that it is right and good behavior (it's the same voice in your head that tells you why your group is right and the other group is wrong). I don't think you can just turn this inner voice off, but you can come to recognize the moment a destructive thought enters your mind. With that, you can learn to observe the thought rather than follow the thought. And eventually it will go away if you don't act on it.

One of the useful tips I got from therapist's is when you physically feel the impulse to do the thing you are trying to fix, focus on the present activity - being present in the moment is a worthy pursuit. (I think this is one of the reasons learning piano is so good for you, you have to be in the moment when practicing). The ego wants to be in the future or the past - you want to be in the present. It's not easy. Like piano, we each have to find our own way....and it takes years.

All this is my experience - I am not trained in any of it.

I also think being in the present is where true happiness resides. Good Luck!

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For anyone feeling alone in their fight against OCD, there is always the book "Brain Lock", which shares a lot of stories about others dealing with OCD. It also has a programme for combatting it.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
I did get a few requests for Xanax? I did not know what it was so had to google it. I think some of the kids hear about it somewhere. Possible there is ways to market over the internet. I think the internet can’t be policed. I have honestly never seen any adverts for drugs before on the internet so not sure where they heard about it. It is a Benzo called alprazolam. I’m not sure what for as benzos has a bad rep in UK due to dependency. Alprazolam is not available in UK as it was never licensed on nhs and so I can’t prescribe. Yet it is one of the commonest in USA.

Here are the top 200 drugs prescribed in the US:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6025009/

Oh, Americans are on a lot of drugs, a fate I hope to avoid.

Some retired people are on 10-20 different prescriptions. You see, no doctor will take a person off of a drug because they're afraid of being blamed if something bad happens, but they're always willing to prescribe a new prescription.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/16/...ence%20%20Technology&pgtype=Homepage

LOL, I pretty much live by this: https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-03-23/want-be-healthier-try-seeing-your-doctor-less

I believe in lots of exercise, healthy food, and mind engagement (piano!!). I'll be 54 in January, my hubby is 63 and neither of us take any meds. I intend to keep it that way!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
For anyone feeling alone in their fight against OCD, there is always the book "Brain Lock", which shares a lot of stories about others dealing with OCD. It also has a programme for combatting it.

I just keep in mind what that great sage, Crocodile Mick Dundee said:
Sue: Dorothy's fine now but she used to be really uptight.
Mick: What happened?
Sue: She found a wonderful shrink. A psychiatrist.
Mick: Oh. I shouldn't have made that crack about the lunatic asylum. I didn't know she was nuts.
Sue: Of course she's not nuts. People go to a psychiatrist to talk about their problems. She just needed to unload them. You know, bring them out into the open.
Mick: Hasn't she got any mates?
Sue: You're right. Guess we could all use more mates. Suppose you don't have any shrinks in Walkabout Creek?
Mick: Nah. Back there, if you've got a problem, you tell Wally. And he tells everyone in town. Brings it out into the open. No more problem.

I share my struggle with everyone and now I don't feel alone any more! 😜

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I remember there was a great TV reality show on TLC channel called 'Hoarding: Buried Alive'.
There are some fragments on YouTube

I think just watching this has great curing effect.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
And another show on TLC that I've just remembered was called 'Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners'. In that show obsessive cleaners were invited to hoarders' houses to help hoarders with cleaning and throwing stuff away. Oh it was fun!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
And another show on TLC that I've just remembered was called 'Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners'. In that show obsessive cleaners were invited to hoarders' houses to help hoarders with cleaning and throwing stuff away. Oh it was fun!

I have a friend whose German wife has severe OCPD. The main difference between OCD and OCPD is that we with OCD shout it to the world how, "woe is me, with OCD" whereas those with OCPD completely deny there is anything wrong with them. His wife will spend 4 hours cleaning and disinfecting one bathroom and claim it is totally normal and natural to do this. She refuses to use cleaners or housekeepers as she has to clean everything herself. And she is in continuous cleaning mode as they have a large 15-room house with 3 floors and 4 bathrooms. So this is her full-time job, not taking care of her kids, but cleaning their home.

In fact, there is an inconsistency. Because her kids, being kids, drip food and other substances everywhere. One can't walk in bare feet in their house for fear of.... you know. But, the bathrooms you can eat from the floor and sink. What's wrong with this picture? 🤷‍♂️

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I have a friend whose German wife has severe OCPD. The main difference between OCD and OCPD is that we with OCD shout it to the world how, "woe is me, with OCD" whereas those with OCPD completely deny there is anything wrong with them. His wife will spend 4 hours cleaning and disinfecting one bathroom and claim it is totally normal and natural to do this. She refuses to use cleaners or housekeepers as she has to clean everything herself. And she is in continuous cleaning mode as they have a large 15-room house with 3 floors and 4 bathrooms. So this is her full-time job, not taking care of her kids, but cleaning their home.

In fact, there is an inconsistency. Because her kids, being kids, drip food and other substances everywhere. One can't walk in bare feet in their house for fear of.... you know. But, the bathrooms you can eat from the floor and sink. What's wrong with this picture? 🤷‍♂️

I lived in Germany for a while. It does not surprise me in the least that some people go overboard cleaning their houses given how obsessed the Germans are with order and cleanliness.

I get excited about big houses outside of the city for about ten minutes, and then I figure out that they’ll consume my life, and I close the browser window. A one bedroom apartment is enough work for me.

Last edited by LarryK; 12/19/19 04:08 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

I lived in Germany for a while. It does not surprise me in the least that some people go overboard cleaning their houses given how obsessed the Germans are with order and cleanliness.

Did you see my comment about their kids and the floor (outside bathrooms)? No, this is not a case of normal German orderliness/cleanliness. This is full-blown OCPD.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Did you see my comment about their kids and the floor (outside bathrooms)? No, this is not a case of normal German orderliness/cleanliness. This is full-blown OCPD.

The woman is probably exhausted from cleaning the bathrooms and doesn’t get to the floors in the rest of the house. I didn’t quite understand that the other floors were filthy by what you posted, so, she definitely has a problem. That is not like any German house I’ve ever been in.

They need to sell the house and get her some help, or vice versa.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The woman is probably exhausted from cleaning the bathrooms and doesn’t get to the floors in the rest of the house. I didn’t quite understand that the other floors were filthy by what you posted, so, she definitely has a problem. That is not like any German house I’ve ever been in.

Yeah, my friend would love to, but can't get her help. Consistent with OCPD, she is in complete denial that there is anything wrong with her. 100% full blown, shout at the husband, I'm schizophrenic but don't know it, sort of denial.

Glad I have OCD and not OCPD. At least I can admit it and get help. OCPD is a little like schizophrenia form of OCD, in my book.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Yeah, my friend would love to, but can't get her help. Consistent with OCPD, she is in complete denial that there is anything wrong with her. 100% full blown, shout at the husband, I'm schizophrenic but don't know it, sort of denial.

Glad I have OCD and not OCPD. At least I can admit it and get help. OCPD is a little like schizophrenia form of OCD, in my book.

Well, if she refuses help, then selling the house and buying a two or three bedroom apartment is a form of therapy, in my mind. It’s better than doing nothing, in my opinion.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Perfectionist traits (OCPD whatever) is not a mental disorder like schizophrenia. It is a group of personality traits. I've edited my comment as I think this is not the best or most appropriate forum for this discussion.

Last edited by Moo :); 12/19/19 06:09 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission