2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (0day, clothearednincompo, Bett, AWilley, anotherscott, bwv543, CraiginNZ, AndrewJCW, 6 invisible), 712 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Can any one help me on this? I recently bought a 1983 made used Yamaha upright piano W102B in a great condition. A piano technician who helped me inspected it, did the key regulation, tunning, also took out the whole action part and brought to his workshop to blow the dust. However after all done, I noticed all the keys started to have a bouncing noise after press. After each press, the shank bounce on the rest rail and make a noticeable noise. And the techinican said it is like this, he can't do anything about it.

Please check the video below. You need to turn on the full volumn in order to hear the noise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KsyZxGxuaBWkuBLS9

ly
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
L
OP Offline
L
Can anyone advice if there is any way to fix the problem or reduce the above bouncing noise? Thanks a lot!

ly
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Lyrabbit,

The noise is probably a combination of hammer rail, capstan contact, and keybed cloth all together. It may get slightly better by regulating the capstans such that the hammershank stand barely proud ofvthe rest rail. This is the way it is done at the factory. Also, if the piano is once hard floor, it will tend to amplify ANY impact noises in the piano. You might try putting it on a thick cushy rig and see if that improves anything.

Nonetheless, there is a certain amount of action noise no matter what in all pianos. The front board usually reduces your perception of it.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lyrabbit
Can anyone advice if there is any way to fix the problem or reduce the above bouncing noise? Thanks a lot!

hi, lyrabbit
I clearly hear that this sound comes from a key returning to a static position. I advise you to try under one key to putting a thin felt piece 2-3 mm
good luck,

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you very much "Pwg" for your kind reply. I was desperate to get some suggestions from here.

The loud bouncing noise happened after the regulation, blow the action part and tunning were done. And it happened on all the keys. I know every piano has some action noise, but not as loud as my piano currently did. Though I didn't hear it when my son played a whole piece smoothly. It is very noticeable and annoying when playing the keys one by one.

I suspect the regulation made it happen. The technician screwed on the middle part of the action one by one. I didn't know exactly what he did. I also found the key touch felt looser vertically (up and down) after the work. Though he said he tightened all the keys from wobbling right and left.

The technician I used though the 1st time, has a great background and tunned the piano for a list of big-name pianists in the world for their concert. So it made me so puzzled and painful with the feeling that my piano was getting worse.

Last edited by lyrabbit; 12/19/19 02:01 AM.

ly
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Maximillyan

hi, lyrabbit
I clearly hear that this sound comes from a key returning to a static position. I advise you to try under one key to putting a thin felt piece 2-3 mm
good luck,

Thank you Maximilyan. May I know which felt do you refer to. Sorry, I am new to piano, I google the part name of piano actions. And there is hammer butt felt, backcheck felg, hammer rail cloth, etc. But the noise only happen after the regulation and tunning. It was not noticeable before. So I think it shouldn't be anything need to be replaced. But I'd still like to try, could you tell me more specifically which felt? Thank you very much!

ly
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan

hi, lyrabbit
good luck,

Thank you Maximilyan. May I know which felt do you refer to. Sorry, I am new to piano, I google the part name of piano actions. And there is hammer butt felt, backcheck felg, hammer rail cloth, etc. But the noise only happen after the regulation and tunning. It was not noticeable before. So I think it shouldn't be anything need to be replaced. But I'd still like to try, could you tell me more specifically which felt? Thank you very much!

this is the item of for piano that is located under all 88 keys. It is called "Back rail cloth " http://www.pianofortesupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/DSC00902.B.jpg
Usually on Soviet upright pianos, from a long operation, this strip of fabric (felt) turned into hard condition. I usually remove 88 keys the piano from out. I use a toothbrush there. Unnecessary additional sound leaves after this operation. If not, then I laying along the entire length of the new cloth over the old fabric cloth 1-2mm. I do not glue new fabric, only 2 screws fix the edges there.
If you have extra sounds coming from a few keys, then perhaps the culprit is moth.
try to put the fabric under the key and the sound will surely go away !, I'm sure. You can do this experiment by yourself I suppose. It won’t harm your piano, I guess.
good luck

P
P
Yamaha hammer rail cloth is originally very fluffy .
It does not become easily hard .
I guess the balance hole and bushing may be loose or lost motion is too much.   (^。^)

--------------------------------------
Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pro-TAC
Yamaha hammer rail cloth is originally very fluffy .
It does not become easily hard .

it's 33 years and it may be hard condition

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pro-TAC

I guess the balance hole and bushing may be loose or lost motion is too much.   (^。^)
I feel that so it's sound came from point position of a key Back rail cloth (video)

M
M
All I have to play at the moment is a Steinway upright with the panels on and lid down,
it makes about the same amount of "bounce" noise as yours.
To be honest I don't hear it normally . Push forward on the hammer rest rail slightly, then try again.
Different?

Working on being a retired piano tuner.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
That noise can be caused by the bridle strap suddenly snapping tight when the whippen falls. You can test this by temporarily unhooking the strap on a single note.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks everyone for your kind comment. I will update how it is going on soon. By the way, the video of the noise in on the top post, and I put it here again. If you use an earpiece, you will hear the noise very clearly.

Video of the bouncing noise (pls use a headset or earpiece to hear it): https://photos.app.goo.gl/KsyZxGxuaBWkuBLS9

Last edited by lyrabbit; 12/20/19 02:16 AM.

ly
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MilePost51
All I have to play at the moment is a Steinway upright with the panels on and lid down,
it makes about the same amount of "bounce" noise as yours.
To be honest I don't hear it normally . Push forward on the hammer rest rail slightly, then try again.
Different?

it's grand piano simple, so upright has the hammer rest rail too.

May be it's so. It was no regulation wooding plank (the hammer rest rail )here

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone for your kind comment. I will update how it is going on soon. By the way, the video of the noise in on the top post, and I put it here again. If you use an earpiece, you will hear the noise very clearly.

Video of the bouncing noise (pls use a headset or earpiece to hear it): https://photos.app.goo.gl/KsyZxGxuaBWkuBLS9

I hear in your video now and I'm thinks that WOOD noise has came from (wood frame of keys) downly point.
I would really advise you to try experimenting with the bottom plywood panel (frame of keys).
Try start to press it's of and release it while you pressing a key. Perhaps the reason is precisely in it's poor fixation of screws

P
P
Have technician replaced all hammers with new?
I guess these hammers are not original.
That may be my fault but I can also hear noise like poor adhesion.
Have technician replaced balance bushing, punching and back rail cloth?

Pro-TAC tuning and repair service.
pro-tac.jpn.org/

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
It is possible the "law of unintended consequences" has come into play here. As the OP stated, all components were tightened in the process of reconditioning. It is conceivable that the "bounce noise" was there before, but was being somewhat absorbed by slightly loose action parts. Now that everything is tight (as it should be) all the impact noise is being transferred to the specific spots where parts come to rest, therefore concentrating the velocity in those areas.

This is just an educated guess, but based on the fact that the noise was "perceived" only after the action was worked on. It is not humanly possible (imperfect as we are) to be able to predict accurately EVERYTHING (even though we do the right thing). Stuff happens. The key now would be to figure out a,way to mitigate it acceptably. Replacement of felts (as Pro-TAC suggested) may be what is needed. Remember, this instrument has almost 40 years of usage on it. Things compress and get denser over time and pressure. That's just life.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Needling the back rest felt could mitigate the noise. Also, the lost motion should be reduced.

Semipro Tech
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by BDB
Needling the back rest felt could mitigate the noise. Also, the lost motion should be reduced.

May I know what the lost motion mean? Pro-TAC also mentioned it, but I didn't get it. Thank you for explaining further.

ly
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you everyone for your contribution and trying to help here. I'd like to give you some update on the progress here. My technician came yesterday and tried to resolve the problem. I also showed him all of the comments here. He believed the noise is because of the compressed hammer rail cloth, as most of the sound came directly from the hammer shank bouncing on the rail cloth. He took out the rail, using a thin blade to life up the underneath of the cloth as the cloth was originally glued on the rail, also stick some hole to make it more fluffy. It solved most of the problems! The action sound from low end to middle part is much quiet now, within the normal range. But on the high end, from the 2nd A note from middle C onwards still have the noticeable noise. probably a bit better than before though. I feel the noise not only from the shank rest rail, some down part also contribute to it. But anyway, it was much improved and bearable now. We will change the rail cloth next time.

Thanks all again!

ly
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/08/22 10:22 PM
OT-ish: what kind of Yamaha is this?
by ShiroKuro - 08/08/22 06:53 PM
Crack on soundboard
by phucahwa - 08/08/22 05:43 PM
Cage:Sonatas and Interludes
by pianoloverus - 08/08/22 05:31 PM
Bluetooth Pedal - page turner
by danno858 - 08/08/22 04:00 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,303
Posts3,214,905
Members106,036
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission