2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by CianistAndPomposer
...The people tested were (all IQ scores are -10% of the data already given above in my previous post):

[b]1 singer...

And you know a singer with an IQ of 60 then? So, are they? :
Educable, can learn to care for oneself, employable in routinized jobs but require supervision. Might live alone but do best in supervised settings. Immature but with adequate social adjustment, usually no obvious physical anomalies.

63.5, to be exact.

So, a notch above the described level, but not far off.

9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
...The people tested were (all IQ scores are -10% of the data already given above in my previous post):

[b]1 singer...
And you know a singer with an IQ of 60 then? So, are they? :
Educable, can learn to care for oneself, employable in routinized jobs but require supervision. Might live alone but do best in supervised settings. Immature but with adequate social adjustment, usually no obvious physical anomalies.
63.5, to be exact.

So, a notch above the described level, but not far off.

🤣🤣🤣

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm with ye all on the skepticism about IQ tests. Generally I find that this stuff is all very good until one tries to generalise it. It's very very hard to standardise things like intelligence and musical aptitude - and especially things like a positive mindset. And then when I try to say something that's definitely true, I end up sounding so vague it's pointless.

So I shall go back to being silent (and feel intelligent while I practice wink )

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
One of my piano teachers has said that of all the instruments, the piano requires the highest level of intelligence to progress and get to a high level. Several voices that need to be balanced with each other, plus the pedal work.

And I submit that playing the organ (at a virtuoso level) requires as much - if not more - intelligence and physical coordination since you are dealing with multiple keyboards, three staves of music requiring complicated finger and footwork and constantly changing registrations. Talk about multi-tasking !!

I put together a recommended IQ level needed to reach a high international standard in several instruments and disciplines, and also voice:

[b]Voice: IQ of 70
Choral conducting: 85
Composing (avant-garde, pure modernism): 88

Oh, come on. These skills require more than average intelligence to be performed at a high international standard.

You short change singers. What about professional opera singers who must memorize and perform hours of music in different languages, live with orchestra, interacting with other singers, remembering their stage directions, etc. while still controlling their natural physical instruments. That ain't for the faint hearted, and definitely not for the dumb.

Also - choral conductors usually conduct both choral and instrumental ensembles (Robert Shaw, Roger Wagner or Margaret Hillis for example) so why the significant intelligence gap between them and orchestral conductors?

Blown instruments: 123
Percussion: 128
Violin/viola: 130
Cello/double bass: 133

Cello, yes. Double bass, not so much. ha

Piano: 140
Conducting: 150
Composing (good music): 155

Whatever...….. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm sure string players might argue that they need a highly developed ear, while pianists/typists don't. grin grin grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Surprise, surprise, surprise!!!

Look at the people who compete in the amateur piano competitions. Most of the winners have very high education (Ph.D, MD, Lawyers, etc). These people can easily be concert pianists, but they do not follow their emotions. They follow their brains. Their education levels have a strong correlation with their success in the amateur competition arena.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I was shocked one day, walking past a large classroom while a "pre-piano" class was going on for 3 and 4 year olds, to hear my college piano teacher's voice over the rambunctious noises of children. I hadn't known that he taught such a class.

At my next lesson, I asked him about, what it was like. He said some kids were smart and bright and really understood what you were trying to teach them (clapping and moving in rhythm, singing, recognizing melodic patterns and tunes, etc.), and that others didn't catch on at all, were bad at everything, and never seemed to improve no matter what you did. So, fundamentally, intelligence and musical aptitude need to be in place, what we used to call "talent."

The question is do kids without aptitude ever have enough desire to overcome the lack of it, or do they give up, even with encouragement or "growth mindset"? In other words, does desire go hand in hand with the aptitude? (And this is aptitude for doing, making music, for playing, not listening and liking others doing music.)

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Kids give it a shot, lessons work out or not, and teachers probably can't afford to be too choosy. I always hate the old saw, "Would you rather have a more talented kid who doesn't practice or a less talented one who works harder?" Doesn't matter, most studios need both!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Online Content
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
I was shocked one day, walking past a large classroom while a "pre-piano" class was going on for 3 and 4 year olds, to hear my college piano teacher's voice over the rambunctious noises of children. I hadn't known that he taught such a class.

At my next lesson, I asked him about, what it was like. He said some kids were smart and bright and really understood what you were trying to teach them (clapping and moving in rhythm, singing, recognizing melodic patterns and tunes, etc.), and that others didn't catch on at all, were bad at everything, and never seemed to improve no matter what you did. So, fundamentally, intelligence and musical aptitude need to be in place, what we used to call "talent."
I think there could be many others reasons why a three or four year old wasn't doing well in such a class besides lack of intelligence or musical aptitude.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think there could be many others reasons why a three or four year old wasn't doing well in such a class besides lack of intelligence or musical aptitude.

😁 True!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

Look at the people who compete in the amateur piano competitions. Most of the winners have very high education (Ph.D, MD, Lawyers, etc). These people can easily be concert pianists, but they didn't study the piano seriously and with a teacher from an early age, and even later in lives, focused more on studying law and science to get their their Ph.D-s and MD-s, than they did on practicing.

I adjusted your post a little.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Look at the people who compete in the amateur piano competitions. Most of the winners have very high education (Ph.D, MD, Lawyers, etc). These people can easily be concert pianists, but they do not follow their emotions. They follow their brains. Their education levels have a strong correlation with their success in the amateur competition arena.

How do you know they don't follow their emotions any less than professional pianists?

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by johnstaf

How do you know they don't follow their emotions any less than professional pianists?

Maybe no one should speak for the emotions, training, experience and decisions of the participants other than the participants themselves.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Playing with or without emotions...

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
Playing with or without emotions...

He can be a hoot sometimes.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Look at the people who compete in the amateur piano competitions. Most of the winners have very high education (Ph.D, MD, Lawyers, etc). These people can easily be concert pianists, but they didn't study the piano seriously and with a teacher from an early age, and even later in lives, focused more on studying law and science to get their their Ph.D-s and MD-s, than they did on practicing.

I adjusted your post a little.

Actually, you are not correct. These people actually spent a lot of time studying with very good teacher when they were young (before college). Just they decided that piano won't bring enough money. They followed their brain not their emotion to study something that bring money to their families. Some, however, followed their emotion and getting doctored in piano performance. Most of those people do not make enough money. But who cares, as long as they are happy teaching piano or becoming a piano professor.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf

What I mean was following their hearts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission