2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So you're turned off by a turned on appliance? smile

T
Tenor1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by Tenor1

At the last Chopin competition in 2015 a very good friend of mine gave a lecture saying in the future contestants may be playing on DP’s as well as acoustics. He got a LOT of boo’s, but he may not be far off. But saying it in the Chopin concert hall may not have been the best place to say it.

While I have no doubt that many of the contestants already play on DPs regularly (for convenience/necessity), I would wonder why a premier competition would ever need to use DPs. The Chopin is one of those competitions that can have its choice of any concert grand model in the world, so they only reason they would "need" a digital would be if there was some partnership that required it. I highly doubt it would be because anyone actually preferred it to a proper concert grand.

It's true that the contestants would chose an acoustic piano. His point was the advancement in technology. His doctorate is in electronic music. The same would happen if he said that about electric violins at abig violin competition.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I tend to agree ... in principle.
There are only a few things that more quickly get me out of the headspace of wanting to play music than booting up a computer.
But the problem doesn't exist here. The computer is on nearly all the time, so there is no boot.

One of those few things that would be the exception and lead me even faster out of the headspace of being inspired to play music would be having the computer in my studio already powered on and booted when I went in to play.

I assume you are joking because otherwise, what would be the difference between that and the acoustic that is standing ready-to-play?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I’m not joking. There is a massive difference between a computer and an acoustic piano. I think you and Mac are in the weeds of my posting. The point was that fiddling with a computer (or a keyboard user interface that requires substantial menu diving, or an analog or virtual analog synthesizer) is a great way to drain enough creative juices or inspiration to cause me to lose interest in playing music at that time.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
A related topic to the subject of the posting, why are digital pianos other than those with mechanical actions of an acoustic piano and/or hybrid silent acoustic/digital pianos and/or those with soundboard speakers sold in big furniture cases? Why would I want something digital that will be replaced with the latest and greatest version in 5 years mounted in a big piece of heavy furniture that just increases cost and increases the hassle of moving it? Isn’t one point of digital technology not needing that? And the sound system should be separate from the piano so that either can be repaired or upgraded independently.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
A related topic to the subject of the posting, why are digital pianos other than those with mechanical actions of an acoustic piano and/or hybrid silent acoustic/digital pianos and/or those with soundboard speakers sold in big furniture cases? Why would I want something digital that will be replaced with the latest and greatest version in 5 years mounted in a big piece of heavy furniture that just increases cost and increases the hassle of moving it? Isn’t one point of digital technology not needing that? And the sound system should be separate from the piano so that either can be repaired or upgraded independently.

I guess people prefer aesthetically the cabinet piano.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Or ... simply because it looks like a piano. I could not have a slab in my living room.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Or ... simply because it looks like a piano. I could not have a slab in my living room.

Know what you mean...I guess when it's finished, this slab piano might suit your mansion MacMacMac wink .....

[Linked Image]

Or maybe just the Nord Grand - could live with that myself

[Linked Image]

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Is it me or does the Nord Grand look like something built by Ikea?

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont

Well, it is after all a Swedish design:)

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont

Compared with most stage and portable pianos, up close it looks stunning.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Doug M.

I guess people prefer aesthetically the cabinet piano.

Some may. Others prefer the small package. If the piano vendors offered the same instruments in both formats for instruments where this is possible, we might learn what the real preferences are.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Here is the explanation:

Historically, when digital instruments were developed, they were very expensive. They needed tuning and they were very heavy, thus came with especial cases, stands, and of course: furnished. The tradition didn't stop and some people still prefer furnished style keyboards. You don't put and expensive luxury analog synth on a cheap stand.

That being said, professional musicians do like to have the closest experience to the actual instruments they're playing. Some musicians even prefer to wear specific outfits and accessories. For example, many musicians prefer to wear loose outfit (if you're wondering why some still wear 80's-90's outfits in 2020) and some master violin players even don't wear watches or rings while playing instruments... Thus having a very close experience is important. They pay for it.

There is a car reviewer on youtube, he's name is Doug and he reviews luxury cars. He once reviewed Bugatti Chiron (3M $ car) in crocs flip-flops, a T-Shirt, and a baggy short wearing socks.

Anyone can review a 3M car in a dollar store-bought outfit sure, but they will look cheesy and cheap.

I purchased my instrument for live performance. Otherwise, I would have bought a furnished Kawai.

Last edited by Abdol; 12/19/19 05:54 PM.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
And just to complete my post you can google Piano Shell! These shells are usually used to hide slab DPs laugh

Regarding the OP's question, I used to use VSTs but I needed a performance instrument and bought an MP7SE. Since then, it sounds so good that I haven't touched VSTs. Too much time consuming and not that much benefit.

T
Tenor1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T

+1 these are excellent points.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

The tradition didn't stop and some people still prefer furnished style keyboards.

Some people do, fine. I didn’t say not to offer digital pianos in furniture cases, but that should be an upgrade option, not a minimum configuration. Lots of people don’t need a digital piano that looks like an acoustic upright, and don’t want to pay for it, monetarily or in terms of inconvenience. There is substantial demand for having the best piano engine in a smaller package without amp or speakers— in studios or in homes that also have an acoustic piano and don’t need another piece of furniture.

I don't see the point ...

They sell console digital pianos.
They sell mini-grand cabinet digital pianos.
They sell slab digital pianos.

There's something for everyone. Buy whatever you like.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I can’t buy what I would like because it is not offered for sale for purely artificial reasons.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O

For WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor. It makes it look nice in the home. Much more acceptable for home decor than a slab on a stand.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
My comment was not that there should be no digital pianos in furniture-grade acoustic piano-style cabinets. I understand why some people want that. My point was that the DP vendors don’t offer their best piano engines in a smaller format slab for purely artificial, strategic marketing reasons. For me this raises the bar— I’m not going to own two pianos that are big pieces of furniture, so as long as an acoustic piano is superior, the DP vendor is losing a higher end sale to me. I’m sure they don’t want slab sales cutting into furniture sales, which would happen if the same piano engine was offered in both formats, but they also would sell a lot more slabs, which have lower manufacturing cost. If this happened, we would learn just how many people really want big, heavy, furniture-grade cases for their DP.

I think the correct design would be the furniture shell with sound system to which an independent, standard format slab can be installed and replaced/upgraded. Then buyers decide which format they want, and the furniture cabinet does not depreciate with the technology, but is re-used.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission