2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
What I get from reading is that Krebs in Germany was making 5-ft pianos in the 1880's, but nothing that small in a grand was made in America until the 1910's. So an "1897" baby is spurious and you won't find any with cabriole legs. Am I right?
In looking this up on the Internet, I find that Steinway made the first baby grand with their Model A and whittled it down to the Model O and Model S. I don't think so. That was posted by a Dr. of Musicology, though.

D
D
Originally Posted by edferris
What I get from reading is that Krebs in Germany was making 5-ft pianos in the 1880's, but nothing that small in a grand was made in America until the 1910's. So an "1897" baby is spurious and you won't find any with cabriole legs. Am I right?
In looking this up on the Internet, I find that Steinway made the first baby grand with their Model A and whittled it down to the Model O and Model S. I don't think so. That was posted by a Dr. of Musicology, though.

I am mildly offended by your inclusion of Steinway A as baby grands smile

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What I get from reading is that Krebs in Germany was making 5-ft pianos in the 1880's, but nothing that small in a grand was made in America until the 1910's.

Actually, Sohmer built the first 5 ft. grand in America. It was a symmetrical cabinet and I believe it was first made in 1884, but I am going by memory on that fact. I had thought it was the first 5 ft. in the world, but since you have quoted the Krebs company, I cannot say with certainty.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Davdoc

Steinway officially referred to the Parlor Scale Model AII short scale made between 1905 and 1913 as a Baby Grand. Later the O, M, L and S were all called Miniature Grands. The term baby came to mean all grands smaller than about 6 feet in length. There is no real definition and because "smaller" meant "baby" it became really confusing when the pianos under 5'1" came into existence

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
There is no real definition and because "smaller" meant "baby" it became really confusing when the pianos under 5'1" came into existence

Thanks for those comments Sally! I always wondered about this because some people say my piano (at 5'8") is a baby grand while others say it isn't. In the context of grand pianos less that 5' long, it makes sense to say 5'8" is a mid-sized grand, while in the context of 9' long concert grands, it makes sense to say a 5'8" piano is a baby grand. crazy

Given the above, it might be time to retire the term "baby grand" for modern pianos... But! The OP was not asking about modern pianos, so apologies for the thread drift!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Tall 130 sized uprights used to be called "upright grands" but I do not think so anymore.
Perhaps as more people now own grands or baby grands.
A 7' grand is a semi concert .To me however a grand 6' or over is a grand.(not baby grand )
Mid size grand also useful for those just bigger than a "baby"

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Well, my wife’s uncle referred to my 7’6” piano as a baby grand. I just smiled.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John305
Well, my wife’s uncle referred to my 7’6” piano as a baby grand. I just smiled.

Size does matter! ha

Very interesting conversation, by the way, I never even knew that baby grands weren't a thing before the 1880s.

Last edited by Sibylle; 12/19/19 05:59 AM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
It’s really kinda tough keeping piano sizes straight without additional confusion around descriptions like baby, parlor, full, and concert. I’ve always had to use my metric to feet and inches conversion calculator. And that’s just grand’s. Then there’s uprights. I’ll call it out here and maybe get banned but I guess I could use a bit additional drama around the holidays grin. Why are we so quick to rush to judgement over a piano’s size or lack thereof? The importance of any piano, small spinet or concert grand is to give members of the household a chance to express ourselves musically, relax, have fun, learn, and enjoy. I myself in a different thread mentioned that when I had the rare chance to play a big grand > 7 ff. it made me feel like a concert pianist or a millionaire with a mansion. I’m neither of those things and truthfully I’m quite happy and feel especially blessed to have what I have. Two hands with 10 working fingers, two eyes that can see where my fingers are playing and with readers see the music, two ears with decent hearing for my age, and a brain still capable of learning new repertoire, which by doing so makes me a bit sharper in other areas. I think we need to be cautious because not everyone here has the room, or the money, or even the desire to have a 9 foot grand sitting in their huge entertainment space. And to play along with the double entrendre, it’s not the size that matters, but how you use it.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by S. Phillips
Originally Posted by Davdoc

Steinway officially referred to the Parlor Scale Model AII short scale made between 1905 and 1913 as a Baby Grand. Later the O, M, L and S were all called Miniature Grands. The term baby came to mean all grands smaller than about 6 feet in length. There is no real definition and because "smaller" meant "baby" it became really confusing when the pianos under 5'1" came into existence

Thank you, Ms. Phillips. I always learn new things from reading your posts.

I wonder whether the OP would need to clarify the question, such as "which maker(s) first called their models 'baby grand'?" or "which maker(s) started first to make pianos of 'baby' size?" But given Steinway A-2 were called baby grands, then anything grand pianos at or shorter than 6'2" could be considered "baby grands". I suspect this will push the year much earlier smile

Also now by considering our A as a baby grand, I have one excuse to think about upgrading from purely the perspectives of size smile

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
E
OP Offline
E
My question was really when did American makers start producing pianos around 5-ft. in size. 5'8" is a small parlor grand. The Steinway A was a parlor grand; I was just commenting on the bad information you can get on the Internet, for free.
I think there was a 5'4" Chickering Quarter Grand, which is on the edge of being considered a "baby". Made from 1904 (at least) into the 1920's.
The report of a piano-tuners' convention in 1917 does not use the term "baby grand", but refers to the 5-ft. piano as a recently introduced product. The industry reps at the convention spent a lot of effort in asserting that the small soundboard really didn't matter.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My question was really when did American makers start producing pianos around 5-ft. in size. 5'8" is a small parlor grand. The Steinway A was a parlor grand; I was just commenting on the bad information you can get on the Internet, for free.
I think there was a 5'4" Chickering Quarter Grand, which is on the edge of being considered a "baby". Made from 1904 (at least) into the 1920's.
The report of a piano-tuners' convention in 1917 does not use the term "baby grand", but refers to the 5-ft. piano as a recently introduced product. The industry reps at the convention spent a lot of effort in asserting that the small soundboard really didn't matter.

That is fascinating. How did those industry reps respond when the 5 foot pianos they were introducing were played in front of piano technicians? I think their claims would pretty much prove rather silly.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
E
OP Offline
E
Here's a link to the 1917 report:
https://archive.org/details/pianotonebuildin12pian/page/n6

I don't think they actually played the instruments, they just talked about them.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission