2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (Bellicapelli, brdwyguy, bobrunyan, Abdol, b4xter, BravoRomeo, 22 invisible), 690 guests, and 455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Hi all,

I needed recommendation for a heavy duty but portable 88 keyboard stand that is:

* Will keep 100% still even when pounding heavily and fast at it when playing.
* Will not make any kind of sound even when pounding heavily and fast at it.
* Preferably a table one or extremely spacious for the legs since i am a very tall player (1.92m) so my legs don't hit the stand.
* Can take up to , say, 35kg 88 keyboard (My keyboard is Nord stage 2 HA88 but it would be nice if it can take heavier keyboards as well).
* Portable.
* Preferably one that can be adjusted for both sitting and standing (for standing it would have to get quite high to reach my arms level).

A music sheet stand that is:
* Portable.
* Will keep still.
* Preferably one that can be adjusted for both sitting and standing (for standing it would have to get quite high to reach my arms level).
* Would be nice if it somehow has an extension arm for easier reading for nearsighted players, if such thing exists.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Progman123; 12/17/19 12:23 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You want one that's portable and can take a pounding without shaking?
Good luck! I think they all shake.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Z-Stand doesn't shake as long as its on a flat surface. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd--on-stage-stands-ks7350-pro-heavy-duty-z-stand
I have one but personally because many of my gigs are often fake stone floors, I use a platform stand. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...fw-utility-tbl-heavy-duty-keyboard-table
Its easier to fold and if the legs are positioned right, quite stable. I have had an X stand collapse in the middle of a set. Luckily the Kurzweil SP4-7 I was using at the time was steel and built like a tank!

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
O
O
The slight wobbling of the metal keeps the stand from breaking under the strain of weight and stiffness of metal needed to counter the wobble ☝🏻

Progman123, I recommend taking a look at the K&M table stands, specifically the 18950 and 18953 - these are very well made, and extremely solid stands.

I do not have a recommendation for music rests, however I expect K&M may also produce an music rest accessory that can attach to the 18950/18953.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Those X stands suck for me when sitting... I bang my knees into them. I need space under there.

The sturdiest designs use cross bracing.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Those X stands suck for me when sitting... I bang my knees into them. I need space under there.

Agreed, X-stands are dreadful.

D
D
I've tried just about everything, and the one I have two of, is the K&M Omega 18810. They are relatively expensive, but absolutely worth it. I have an MP11SE on one, and it doesn't move, creak, or wobble...rock solid!

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyb...e-style-keyboard-stand-omega-black?c=171

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Definitely stick to K&M and On Stage brands. K&M are more finely finished and are excellent, sturdy products. On Stage stands are also quite sturdy, and are more friendly to your bank account. On Stage has music stands also.

P
OP Offline
P
Checked the links you guys recommended.
I am the most impressed with K&M Omega from what you guys mentioned and i noticed there is a new "Pro" model: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyb...yle-keyboard-stand-omega-pro-black?c=171
So i asked K&M via mail what is the difference between it and the Pro one and they replied that the only difference is that the Pro one is foldable and comes and a carrying strip. The only downside is that it would not allow me to play in standing position. I would have to get their "Spider Pro" solely for playing in standing position because it would not allow the legs actually sit comfortably on the floor, i'm almost sure it would be much less stable than the omega/omega pro since it is a column type and not a platform and it is much more expensive. I currently have ultimate support column stand and it sways like there's no tomorrow even though my NS2 88 is pretty lightweight for a 88 keyboard. Anyway, playing in sitting position is basic so i am most likely going to order the Omega Pro next week and for playing when standing i'll use my ultimate support stand.
Still searching for a sheet music stand. Another thing i would like to add, it would be nice if it also has a high height adjustment for when playing in standing position closer to head position.

Last edited by Progman123; 12/21/19 08:54 AM.
D
D
I was going to suggest having 2 separate stands instead of trying to find one that can do everything well. I have 3 column stands, they're great for stacking 2 or 3 synths on top of each other but the worst for hard piano playing. Even a good X stand would be a much better choice for standing position. I looked at the K&M for home use for my MP11se but they're not wide enough (for me) so I ended up buying a Yamaha wooden stand for that.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by djvu10
I was going to suggest having 2 separate stands instead of trying to find one that can do everything well. I have 3 column stands, they're great for stacking 2 or 3 synths on top of each other but the worst for hard piano playing. Even a good X stand would be a much better choice for standing position. I looked at the K&M for home use for my MP11se but they're not wide enough (for me) so I ended up buying a Yamaha wooden stand for that.

Well, that is my conclusion as well. Tall people need two stands. smile

If you are willing to invest good money in a stand for standing i would go for spider pro but ultimate support column stands might be also an option, maybe their newer models are more stable than what i got. Mine is about 15 years old. There is also standtastic stands. From my search on the net these three would be my top 3 for standing for high height adjustment if i would order one for that purpose.

Last edited by Progman123; 12/21/19 11:50 AM.
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Progman123

Forget about it.
I've bought K&M 18950 which seems to be the top recommendation for Kawai MP11 (33 kg), but after heavy chords it still wobbles side-to-side.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

Forget about it.
I've bought K&M 18950 which seems to be the top recommendation for Kawai MP11 (33 kg), but after heavy chords it still wobbles side-to-side.

That sucks, but who would recommend 18950 for mp11? Strange.
Did you try 18953 (the piano stand version of 18950) https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyb...able-style-stage-piano-stand-black?c=171 and omega before you bought it?
Anyway, which would stay more still in your opinion, 18953 or omega? A bit debating between these two.

Last edited by Progman123; 12/21/19 03:06 PM.
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I

Forget about it.

That sucks, but who would recommend 18950 for mp11? Strange.
Did you try 18953 (the piano stand version of 18950) https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyb...able-style-stage-piano-stand-black?c=171 and omega before you bought it?
Anyway, which would stay more still in your opinion, 18953 or omega? A bit debating between these two.

18953 is just 26 cm in depth, it doesn't seem enough for MP11 which is 45 cm in depth. But it's probably enough for your Nord stage 2 HA88 which is 34 cm in depth.

For gigging, when you can't be sure in evenness of the floor, there seems to be no alternative to table stands like 18950/18953.
If you're going to place your instrument on even floors only, I'd suggest you buy omega stand, constructionally it seems to be less prone to side-to-side movement. But, you know, in a review of omega stand on Amazon one guy said, 'omega moves side-to-side... I wish I bought 18950 stand'. smile There seems to be no perfection, sorry.

Would you be willing to share a video of this happening, please?

I also have a K&M 18950, which I have used to support and MP8 (a distant relative of the MP11), and cannot recall any wobbling or instability. It is the best stand I have ever used - if it was ever stolen, I would buy another one the very next day.

We actually used that stand (my K&M 18950) in this video for the MP11 a few years ago. Watching the video again, the instrument seems very solid to me - even during the close-ups (which typically emphasise any stand movements).

Kind regards,
James
x

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
My goodness, that's a good recording, James!

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Would you be willing to share a video of this happening, please?

No, sorry, you'll have to trust my words.

I think a good close-up is required to register wobbling.

No, sorry, you'll have to trust my words.

Okay, however it's not something I have experienced with my 18950.

I think a good close-up is required to register wobbling.

Agreed. What do you think of the example video I posted above? Is the wobble noticeable?

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A
I have a K&M 18950 for my VPC1. It stands like a tank. Ok the VPC is a little lighter in weight an not so deep so it fits perfectly with the measurements of the stand. But I can not imagine that the MP11 is wobbling....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,145
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission