Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
33 registered members (ChatNoir, Charades, Akaitsuki, Carey, carlos88, Chernobieff Piano, Burkie, Beowulf, 7 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,066 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? #2922787 12/14/19 08:42 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
I'm wondering if there are devices that can do both.

I'm not talking about a lifesaver system that get's built into the piano, i'm talking about a device for the room itself.

After some searching on the web, I can only find seperate Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers. Anyone know if there are devices that can do both? Like a piano lifesaver system, but for the room.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2922799 12/14/19 09:42 AM
D
dhull100 Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
I haven't seen any. Even whole house systems that offer both functionalities require separate units.

Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2922811 12/14/19 10:07 AM
L
Lady Bird Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
We recently had a new furnace inatalled .For an extra $800.CAD we could have got a humidifier installed as part of it. We seldom use a humidifier here ,but sometimes if the humidity drops
In the winter we use a small ultrasonic humidifier and a separate dehumidfier.Actually use the
dehumidifier far more.
I do not think they come in one device.

Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2922913 12/14/19 03:43 PM
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you use a programmable controller, you can plug a humidifier into one outlet and a dehumidifier into the other outlet and the controller will choose the one to turn on. That doesn't solve the problem by combining the two, but it solves the problem of controlling them without you needing to do anything. This is the one I use.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: MarkL] #2922933 12/14/19 05:42 PM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by MarkL
If you use a programmable controller, you can plug a humidifier into one outlet and a dehumidifier into the other outlet and the controller will choose the one to turn on. That doesn't solve the problem by combining the two, but it solves the problem of controlling them without you needing to do anything. This is the one I use.

Thanks! i had only found these with only one socket so far, so that would mean buying two of them.

There are also humidifiers and dehumidifiers that got their own controller built in. That might be even better/simpler, but probably also more expensive.

Strange that there's no company that combines these 2 devices to one humidity controller, like a piano lifesaver.

Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2922936 12/14/19 06:04 PM
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes it would be nice to have it in one package. One problem I've found with the controls that come with these devices is that they aren't very accurate, and the sensor is usually tethered to the power cord so it sits on the floor next to the device. That isn't the most useful place to be sensing humidity. The programmable controller has the sensor on a cable, so I hung mine right below the soundboard. The controller also allows entering a correction factor, so when you calibrate the sensor you can get the readout to be correct without having to do the correction in your head.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: MarkL] #2922942 12/14/19 06:19 PM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Yes it would be nice to have it in one package. One problem I've found with the controls that come with these devices is that they aren't very accurate, and the sensor is usually tethered to the power cord so it sits on the floor next to the device. That isn't the most useful place to be sensing humidity. The programmable controller has the sensor on a cable, so I hung mine right below the soundboard. The controller also allows entering a correction factor, so when you calibrate the sensor you can get the readout to be correct without having to do the correction in your head.

Very interesting.

It does seem like a nice device, and putting that sensor near the soundboard can't hurt.

I think it's a good idea, this controller isn't expensive, and I can use any humidifier and dehumidifier with it.

So, you are happy with this controller overall?

Having the system in 3 separate devices (controller, humidifier, dehumidifier) does have an advantage too. If one of them goes bad, you just need to fix or replace that one. If it was an all in one system it would be worse if it stopped working.

Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2922945 12/14/19 06:26 PM
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by U3piano

So, you are happy with this controller overall?

Yes, I also have a temperature controller from the same company that I use on a refrigerator in the garage. So I have two positive experiences with their products.

Having the system in 3 separate devices (controller, humidifier, dehumidifier) does have an advantage too. If one of them goes bad, you just need to fix or replace that one. If it was an all in one system it would be worse if it stopped working.

That's true, it's also nice to be able to clean them out individually at the end of the season. If you leave moisture in a dehumidifier all winter, it can be pretty moldy by the spring. Ditto for the humidifier in the summer. So I rinse mine out and let them dry when I stop using them.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2922950 12/14/19 06:40 PM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
Sounds good, thanks for the tip!

Now i just need to think about where i would put these devices without it looking bad. Would you think it would work if I put it all (except for the sensor) in a closet of which the door stays open just a little?

Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2922978 12/14/19 08:53 PM
L
Learux Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L
To combine the two in one machine would be an engineering nightmare.

Keep in mind both of these machines are noisy and require routine attention.

Closet probably not going to work very well.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2922987 12/14/19 09:16 PM
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by U3piano

Now i just need to think about where i would put these devices without it looking bad. Would you think it would work if I put it all (except for the sensor) in a closet of which the door stays open just a little?

The dehumidifier might work in the closet, but closets tend to be cool, especially if they are on an outside wall. So the moisture from the humidifier might condense on the closet wall or doors. Also it helps to circulate the air to keep the humidity uniform in the room, so even with the door open you might not get much circulation.

I think a better approach if you have the space would be to use some kind of small privacy screen to hide them, or if you're handy make something out of wood to hide them. There are units that are designed to be attractive in a room, if you go on amazon and search for "attractive humidifier" you'll see some nice looking units, but many of them are ultrasonic, which produce the white dust. If you hunt you might find a nice looking evaporative humidifier.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: MarkL] #2923036 12/15/19 05:14 AM
U
U3piano Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
U
I've got a closet under the stairs, it's not cool, because it's not on an outside wall (townhouse), so that might just work. It's also directly where my piano is. It's door is always a little open, because in the back of the closet space i made a cat flap with access to the hall and stairs, this way my cats can go where they want with the living room door kept closed. smirk

or if you're handy make something out of wood to hide them.

Yes, i thought of that too, and think that would be best. I'm thinking of something like a housing for a radiator.

Once again, thank you for all the good tips! cool

Re: Automatic room Humidifier and Dehumidifier? [Re: U3piano] #2923758 12/16/19 11:29 PM
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I have this humidifier AirCare Humidifier for the drier months and this dehumidifier Soleus Dehumidifier. These units are rated large enough to control the humidity in my entire house. It works for me. We have an open floor plan and the 1st floor with a 2-story foyer open to the upstairs, so simply controlling the environment where the piano is located is not an option for me.

In the drier months, I do have to add water to the humidifier a couple of times a day, and I have to change the wick a couple of times in the winter. The fan is a little loud. But it's manageable for me. I like this set up over the "whole house" humidifier connected to the HVAC system, because those units usually only run when the furnace is running. With a separate unit like this, it runs whenever the humidistat reads low humidity whether or not the furnace is running. So temperature and humidity are controlled separately.

Then in the months with high humidity, I do have to empty the humidifier a couple of times a day. However, this model has an internal pump and a gravity fed drainage connection as well. When we leave home for days at a time, I run a line to a floor drain near the water heater or sink and engage the internal pump. There are a couple of months in our region where I have to have both of them close by. I watch the weather forecast and turn on the one that fits the bill. In our area (central Indiana), I am able to keep humidity around 40% in the Winter when it's dry, and 50% in the summer when it's moist. I wait for the seasonal change over to have my piano tuned. It works well for me.

Another added benefit is our health and the comfort level in our home. The environment is more comfortable and our utility bills are more consistent as a result. We also have fewer colds and sinus infections in the drier months. When one of us has one, we recover much sooner.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just bought a new Kawai K. 300 vertical
by shirlkirsten - 01/29/20 12:36 AM
Kobe Bryant the Piano Builder
by TimM_980 - 01/29/20 12:07 AM
Arturia Keylab 88, any opinions??
by Pianero - 01/28/20 11:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,588
Posts2,918,577
Members95,768
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission