Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
36 registered members (Craig Richards, akc42, EssBrace, grd-dan, GIJack, CyberGene, earlofmar, Ganddalf, GalicianLeo, 3 invisible), 3,632 guests, and 430 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? #2922423 12/13/19 12:02 AM
V
Velidae Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Both pianos are in great shape. Beautiful and well maintained, kept in climate controlled environments.
The Baldwin is my family's piano and the Boston is one I am considering purchasing.

The Boston is $4000 from a woman who took good care of it but doesnt play much anymore.
The Baldwin would be shipped from my family's home in the west coast to my home in the east coast, about $700-1600 depending on moving season.

I'm really not sure which piano I prefer. To be honest I dont know a lot about pianos, so I'm looking to get some opinions to help me decide. Please let me know what you think and why!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: Velidae] #2922527 12/13/19 11:39 AM
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello, Velidae, and welcome to Piano World!

I have no direct experience with the Boston upright, but I have had direct experience with the Baldwin 243 studio upright piano. In my view, it seems to me that the age of the two pianos is not that far apart, with the Boston being about 5 years newer than the Baldwin. Since your family already owns the Baldwin, and only the shipping cost is the expense you will incur, aside from tuning and service if you decide to go that route, that would be your lowest cost option.

On the other hand, if you are ready for something different and you like the Boston upright, that might be a consideration. The price of the Boston seems a little high to me based on the age, but I know it is associated with Steinway. That association is likely why the price is higher. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Boston would have been made by Kawai, but I'm not 100% sure, since it is 27 years old now. Not sure how long that relationship between Steinway and Kawai on the Boston piano has been in place.

In terms of quality, and I'm quite sure some would disagree with me, I'd think the two pianos are pretty much on par with each other. But that is just my opinion. I am a fan of the Baldwin US made pianos. I'm also a fan of the Kawai made pianos.

Since you say you do not have a preference one way or the other, or which piano you like best, it is pretty much a tosup/stalemate. The Baldwin 243 could have some sentimental value, but the Boston would offer something new and different, which might reboot your motivation level to play it and progress further in you piano playing skills. The Baldwin is clearly the lowest cost option. But if you can afford it, the Boston might be a good option as well.

Not sure this has helped, but I hope it has!

All the best, and Merry Christmas! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: Velidae] #2922537 12/13/19 12:04 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Since you are also considering a piano from a private seller, please do not accept their opinion that the piano is in good shape: hire an independent piano tech for an assessment at around $100; well worth the money
If you need some names of techs in your area, you can search at ptg.org

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: Rickster] #2922554 12/13/19 12:47 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I was googling the model of the Boston and 1992 was the first year of Boston pianos. The particular model and year of Boston upright means it could have either been built by Kawai Japan or the Kawai plant in Indonesia. The serial number index should show where it was made. My first upright was a Baldwin and it was lovely.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: j&j] #2922570 12/13/19 01:23 PM
V
Velidae Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by j&j
I was googling the model of the Boston and 1992 was the first year of Boston pianos. The particular model and year of Boston upright means it could have either been built by Kawai Japan or the Kawai plant in Indonesia. The serial number index should show where it was made. My first upright was a Baldwin and it was lovely.

The serial number for the Boston is 104145. When I looked it up it placed it around 1992-1993 so I admit I had kind of estimated. If you have more information I would love to know.

To the other responses:

Thank you for your replies, I've played on the Baldwin and am comfortable with it and like the sound and feel of it so I'm leaning towards that right now. But it would be nice to try something different, and the Boston is in a glossy white finish which stands out and does look lovely, though I also like the walnut finish of the Baldwin. It's such a hard decision.

The Boston is $4000 CAD, I should have mentioned. I'm not sure if that makes the price more reasonable, but I felt it was pretty fair. The seller is an older woman who is clearly attached to the piano and has taken very good care of it, but doesn't play as much anymore and is in a smaller space now.

I really wish I could play both pianos side by side but obviously that's not possible. I'm not sure how to get a good comparison of the sounds to pick one I prefer.

Last edited by Velidae; 12/13/19 01:25 PM.
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: Velidae] #2922610 12/13/19 02:52 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here’s what I found on the Boston:

Manufactured: between 1992 - 1993
Made in: Japan
Founded: Japan, Hamamatsu 1991

I used the online Piano Atlas.
Online Piano Atlas

BTW I know it’s unfair but white pianos are significantly harder to sell. Harder to find if you love white pianos but definitely harder to sell.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: Velidae] #2922639 12/13/19 04:01 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Velidae
[...]
The Boston is $4000 CAD, I should have mentioned. I'm not sure if that makes the price more reasonable, but I felt it was pretty fair. The seller is an older woman who is clearly attached to the piano and has taken very good care of it, but doesn't play as much anymore and is in a smaller space now.

I really wish I could play both pianos side by side but obviously that's not possible. I'm not sure how to get a good comparison of the sounds to pick one I prefer.

You haven't yet stated that you have actually played the Boston. Have you?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: Velidae] #2922648 12/13/19 04:18 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I hate to say this, but don't buy that Boston unless you think it will be the last piano you ever buy. Or unless the seller comes down on the price substantially.

The reason being, it will be very hard to sell it or get a good price as a trade in because of its color. I know that's unfair, but white pianos do not sell, and an almost-30 y/o white upright will definitely be hard to sell if you eventually want to upgrade.

I say this based on my experience of piano shopping this past summer and talking with a lot of dealers and private sellers. Still it's just my take on the matter, so feel free to ignore it! :P

Oh, one other plug for the Baldwin -- that model is a real workhorse, in general it should be a very reliable instrument. So given that you just have to pay the moving expense and then tuning, that seems like a very reasonable purchase.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: Velidae] #2922662 12/13/19 04:41 PM
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A more reasonable price for the 27 year old Boston from a private seller would be around $2,500. And the white finish would definitely impact your ability to resell it in the future. Definitely have the Boston checked out by a tech - and have the Baldwin checked out as well before you invest in the cost of shipping it across country.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: BruceD] #2922703 12/13/19 07:27 PM
V
Velidae Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]

Regards,

I have played the Boston in person, and to be honest it didn't really move me. The sound felt a bit... muted? I'm not sure, I haven't been playing much for years so my ear might be off.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will stick with the Baldwin after all.

Re: 1987 Baldwin Hamilton 243 HPO or 1992 Boston UP118C? [Re: Velidae] #2922808 12/14/19 10:02 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]

Regards,

I have played the Boston in person, and to be honest it didn't really move me. The sound felt a bit... muted? I'm not sure, I haven't been playing much for years so my ear might be off.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will stick with the Baldwin after all.

Congratulations on your decision to keep the Baldwin.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha L140 stand
by Carajillo - 01/22/20 04:18 AM
Anyone have J.D. Grandt bass string recordings?
by TurboMatt - 01/21/20 10:59 PM
No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts?
by Normangh - 01/21/20 09:55 PM
Using visual guides to help with chords?
by RiffWraith - 01/21/20 08:19 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,445
Posts2,915,544
Members95,690
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission