Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
31 registered members (danielp11, Animisha, Anglagard44, David B, FrankCox, grd-dan, Burkie, AZNpiano, gentleartist, 5 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 667 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation #2922296 12/12/19 03:22 PM
F
finch42 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi everyone, I wanted to learn to play the piano since I know my mind. Instead I spent a few years behind the drums when I was a child but now I think it is time to follow my destiny smile. I like fancy gears I usually buy decent stuffs eventhough most of them are overkill at the beginning. Same applies to piano. Very likely I'll buy a good one eventhough probably beginners do not start with fancy toys. These are the ones I am comtemplating:

• Kawai MP11SE
  • Roland RD-2000
  • Yamaha CVP 701 - but this looks an pretty old model, maybe there are newer/better for the same money
  • or something else

I want to play the piano but sometimes probably just have fun so the last 2 might give me some boost during "that difficult time" every learner can face with (demotivation...). In terms of piano, action... could you recommend me which to buy?

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922309 12/12/19 04:38 PM
P
pianogabe Offline
P
In the something else category: Kawai CA-78. I have the CA-58, which is good, but if I had to do it again I would buy the CA-78. Very good action, good onboard sound, solid cabinet, and in Europe reasonably priced. It is a lot of money if you are not certain you are serious about learning to play. But if you are, I would invest in a DP with good action and sound from the beginning. I have been playing for 1.5-2 years now, so also a beginner. Started with a Yamaha P-115, which I already traded in for the CA-58 after half a year...

Kawai CA58
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922310 12/12/19 04:41 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
"Overkill at the beginning" indeed laugh The Kawai and Roland are somewhat similar in features and price. The Yamaha you list is more of an arranger, meaning it has a lot of non-piano functionality like drums, other instruments, multitrack recording and editing, etc. If you're just looking for a piano the Yamaha CP-88 would be the "closest" match to the other two you have listed, which are both stage pianos.

Personally, unless you really needed the features and portability (which I'm not sure is important given your listing the CVP 701) I'd look at the mid range console pianos if you want to spend in the 2500 USD range.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922312 12/12/19 04:56 PM
N
nicknameTaken Offline
N
Originally Posted by finch42
Hi everyone, I wanted to learn to play the piano since I know my mind. Instead I spent a few years behind the drums when I was a child but now I think it is time to follow my destiny smile. I like fancy gears I usually buy decent stuffs eventhough most of them are overkill at the beginning. Same applies to piano. Very likely I'll buy a good one eventhough probably beginners do not start with fancy toys. These are the ones I am comtemplating:

• Kawai MP11SE
  • Roland RD-2000
  • Yamaha CVP 701 - but this looks an pretty old model, maybe there are newer/better for the same money
  • or something else

I want to play the piano but sometimes probably just have fun so the last 2 might give me some boost during "that difficult time" every learner can face with (demotivation...). In terms of piano, action... could you recommend me which to buy?

Where in Germany are you living? Having a RD-2000 here. I seem to want a real grand instead, with retrofitting and a custom made keybed, that match my hand size.
When that happens, I may no longer have need for the RD-2000. Didn't own it for too long, maybe less than a year?
Can't tell an accurate date, as I have not yet found what I was searching for.

Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922323 12/12/19 05:31 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The CVP701 was released in 2015 ... so it's not **that** old. But it's a poor value. You pay a lot for the bells and whistles of an "ensemble" piano.
Take away those bells/whistles from the 701 and what's left is Yamaha's bottom-of-the-line Clavinova ... and a very high price.
A poor value. I'm not a fan of the CVP-series pianos.

The MP11SE and RD2000 are slab/stage pianos, not consoles. If that suits you these are very good choices. They get a lot of good mentions here.

But as a beginner ... a first question is: Will you have a teacher? If you don't then I would not choose any of these pianos. You stand a good chance of giving up the piano. You would not be the first!

So I'd choose a unit under $1000 ... knowing that my potential loss is the difference between the initial cost and the used-market selling price. That loss cannot exceed $1000, right, and will likely be much less.
Contrast that with the thousands you'd lose on a precipitously depreciating expensive piano.

But if you do stick to the piano (with a teacher I hope) then buy the best you can afford.
Hi everyone, I wanted to learn to play the piano since I know my mind. Instead I spent a few years behind the drums when I was a child but now I think it is time to follow my destiny smile. I like fancy gears I usually buy decent stuffs eventhough most of them are overkill at the beginning. Same applies to piano. Very likely I'll buy a good one even though probably beginners do not start with fancy toys. These are the ones I am comtemplating:

• Kawai MP11SE
  • Roland RD-2000
  • or something else

Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: MacMacMac] #2922324 12/12/19 05:34 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The CVP701 was released in 2015 ... so it's not **that** old. But it's a poor value. You pay a lot for the bells and whistles of an "ensemble" piano.
Take away those bells/whistles from the 701 and what's left is Yamaha's bottom-of-the-line Clavinova ... and a very high price.

The MP11SE and RD2000 are slab/stage pianos, not consoles. If that suits you these are very good choices. They get a lot of good mentions here.

But as a beginner ... a first question is: Will you have a teacher? If you don't then I would not choose any of these pianos. You stand a good chance of giving up the piano. You would not be the first!

So I'd choose a unit under $1000 ... knowing that my potential loss is the difference between the initial cost and the used-market selling price. That loss cannot exceed $1000, right, and will likely be much less.
Contrast that with the thousands you'd lose on a precipitously depreciating expensive piano.

But if you do stick to the piano (with a teacher I hope) then buy the best you can afford.

+1 on all points.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922331 12/12/19 06:06 PM
D
djvu10 Offline
D
A guy in the LA area was trying to sell his brand new CVP-701 not long ago. He started out asking $2900 for it and kept lowering... I think it sold for $2k so he lost $2k before even playing the thing. I was tempted by the "bargain" but ended up buying a MP11se because I hated the action on the CVPs.

Someone mentioned the CA78; I think that's a great choice if you just want to concentrate on learning how to play the piano and don't want to bother with buying a stand, speakers... the CA78 is a great choice!

Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922355 12/12/19 07:24 PM
B
Burkie Online Content
Online Content
B
+1 for the CA-78. It has amazing keys. I've played it about 6 times, and every time I get even more impressed with the key textures (especially on the ebonies).

Until the new flagship Roland FP model is released, the CA-78 is the clear benchmark in that area of the market.

Last edited by Burkie; 12/12/19 07:26 PM.
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922376 12/12/19 08:21 PM
F
finch42 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks everyone for the great help. Yes, I am in the search of a teacher although I want to progress alone too. CA-78 unfortunately in my country is out of budget. There was a good discount on the RD-2000 a few weeks ago but I was still thinking instead of actioning smile. I ruled out CVP-701 then. I read a lot of good reviews about the MP11SE in the past couple of months so that one seems to be a good candidate. Yamaha CP-88 could be an option too. About these 3 (MP11SE, Yamaha CP-88, RD-2000) speaking of learning to play to piano am I correct when I say more pianists like MP11SE then the others? RD-2000 could be good choice for pianist "minded" people too? Mobility is not a requirement but large cabinets like pianos may not be ideal regarding the space I have in my apartment smile.

Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922389 12/12/19 09:08 PM
Kawai James Offline
Hello finch42, welcome to the forum.

CA-78 unfortunately in my country is out of budget.

May I ask where you are based, please?

About these 3 (MP11SE, Yamaha CP-88, RD-2000) speaking of learning to play to piano am I correct when I say more pianists like MP11SE then the others? RD-2000 could be good choice for pianist "minded" people too?

The RD-2000 has far more sounds and features than the MP11SE, which in my opinion, is perhaps a more piano-focussed instrument. Many players believe Kawai's "Grand Feel" wooden-key keyboard actions are the most authentic, however Roland also has its plaudits. The CP88 is perhaps the least acoustic piano-oriented instrument of the three (even though it shares a similar interface to the MP11SE...), and arguably geared more to towards gigging players who would otherwise opt for a Nord.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922420 12/12/19 11:33 PM
D
djvu10 Offline
D
Finch,

If you're serious about learning how to play the piano, do yourself a huge favor and concentrate more on getting the best action and not worry much about having 999 other sounds or rhythms. You can always buy an arranger keyboard if you want to experiment with rhythms or other sounds. Yamaha has decent arranger keyboards starting at $250. I sold my Korg Kronos 88 and bought the MP11se mainly for its great action; for rhythms and thousands of other sounds, I have a Yamaha Tyros 5. You don't really want to play organ on a piano action anyway. Best of luck!

Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: MacMacMac] #2922432 12/13/19 01:16 AM
P
pianogabe Offline
P
But as a beginner ... a first question is: Will you have a teacher?

Important point indeed. I would not spend all my money on the fanciest piano, and then have nothing left for a teacher. Especially as a beginner, you will benefit a lot from a good teacher. I initially started with an online course, that was a mistake.

Kawai CA58
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922440 12/13/19 02:42 AM
A
Abdol Offline
A
Thanks everyone for the great help. Yes, I am in the search of a teacher although I want to progress alone too. CA-78 unfortunately in my country is out of budget. There was a good discount on the RD-2000 a few weeks ago but I was still thinking instead of actioning smile. I ruled out CVP-701 then. I read a lot of good reviews about the MP11SE in the past couple of months so that one seems to be a good candidate. Yamaha CP-88 could be an option too. About these 3 (MP11SE, Yamaha CP-88, RD-2000) speaking of learning to play to piano am I correct when I say more pianists like MP11SE then the others? RD-2000 could be good choice for pianist "minded" people too? Mobility is not a requirement but large cabinets like pianos may not be ideal regarding the space I have in my apartment smile.

RD-2000 and CP-88 are not in the same league as MP11SE.

-Among these 3, CP-88 has the worst action and MP11SE has the most realistic action. When I say realistic, it means MP11SE's action is close to a Kawai's grand piano action. It has the exact same mechanism as a grand piano action. Full length (a bit shorter) keys.

-Yamaha CP-88... has a degenerate, folding action. It's unclear whos idea was to demolish the original NWX action but, Yamaha is full of asshats so it's a no surprise. It's a fossil sampler with new samples shoved in it, and refaced control surface. The only good sounding thing about CP-88 is the new samples. The effects are 30 years old and Yamaha was reluctant in introducing anything new in this keyboard. Effect-wise sounds awful in general.

- RD-2000 also has a folding action, which is close to a non-existing piano action. It's cool though. Feels nice. But not real.

-Sound-wise, RD-2000 is a fossil but a level better than CP-88. Everything in it sounds like... Roland. The only things that sound good are Piano, Rhodes, Organs and classic/jazzy sounds like these. The rest are pile of samples from decades ago that don't even sound as good as a cheap PSR-S670. They are there for the sake of being there!

-MP11SE has a pretty good piano emulator. Boots up super quick and it is so good that "I will never use a VST again" (if you know where this phrase comes from). It has the best action. It looks damn good and the major sounds in it are far better than RD-2000 and without a doubt, it's miles above CP-88 in every single aspect of an instrument.

I see you're leaning towards MP11SE as well. It's the best among other choices you have in my opinion.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: finch42] #2922446 12/13/19 03:28 AM
Kawai James Offline
Abdol, with the greatest respect, I think you're being a little harsh on the Yamaha and Roland instruments...

I personally believe that the MP11SE is the most "acoustic piano-like" of the three stage pianos, however I still think that the RD-2000 and CP-88 are great instruments that players of every ability can and do enjoy!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: Kawai James] #2922448 12/13/19 03:36 AM
P
pianogabe Offline
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Abdol, with the greatest respect, I think you're being a little harsh on the Yamaha and Roland instruments...

It is his style. We'll have to get used to it. He is often right though, but not always wink

Kawai CA58
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: MacMacMac] #2922583 12/13/19 01:46 PM
T
Tenor1 Offline
T

Hi everyone, I wanted to learn to play the piano since I know my mind. Instead I spent a few years behind the drums when I was a child but now I think it is time to follow my destiny smile. I like fancy gears I usually buy decent stuffs eventhough most of them are overkill at the beginning. Same applies to piano. Very likely I'll buy a good one even though probably beginners do not start with fancy toys. These are the ones I am comtemplating:

• Kawai MP11SE
  • Roland RD-2000
  • or something else

+1. Very good advice to follow.

Carlos Marques
Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: pianogabe] #2922586 12/13/19 01:51 PM
MacMacMac Offline
Well ... even a stopped clock is right sometimes.
Originally Posted by pianogabe
I think you're being a little harsh on the Yamaha and Roland instruments...
He is often right though, but not always wink

Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: MacMacMac] #2922594 12/13/19 02:14 PM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well ... even a stopped clock is right sometimes.
I think you're being a little harsh on the Yamaha and Roland instruments...
He is often right though, but not always wink

Not just sometimes... Exactly two times a day. So, do you mean that he can be right just for 2 seconds a day and during the other 86398 seconds he is always wrong? whome

Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: magicpiano] #2922604 12/13/19 02:38 PM
P
pianogabe Offline
P
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Not just sometimes... Exactly two times a day. So, do you mean that he can be right just for 2 seconds a day and during the other 86398 seconds he is always wrong? whome

Look at it more positively. We're an international forum. A stopped clock is right in two time zones somewhere in the world every hour. confused

Kawai CA58
Re: Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation [Re: pianogabe] #2922620 12/13/19 03:08 PM
A
Abdol Offline
A
Originally Posted by magicpiano

Look at it more positively. We're an international forum. A stopped clock is right in two time zones somewhere in the world every hour. confused

I'm very offended by your offensive posts grin

Is the accuracy of your clocks less than 1ms?

Last edited by Abdol; 12/13/19 03:09 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone have J.D. Grandt bass string recordings?
by TurboMatt - 01/21/20 10:59 PM
No successor to VPC-1... What's your thoughts?
by Normangh - 01/21/20 09:55 PM
Using visual guides to help with chords?
by RiffWraith - 01/21/20 08:19 PM
Deciding on YOUR arrangement
by dmd - 01/21/20 06:38 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,444
Posts2,915,524
Members95,690
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission