2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (cygnusdei, Calavera, Anglagard44, Charles Cohen, dima5222, David B, Animisha, deadlymajesty, 12 invisible), 982 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
^ That’s an interesting discovery. It means only the resonances can be used separately as we discussed in another thread, say use the samples from a sample-based VST and the resonances from Pianoteq. But they need to expose such a functionality I guess.
If you mean to overlap sympathetic resonances from Pianoteq with normal notes played by another VST, yes, probably you could use them if there were an option to only play them... But unfortunately AFAIK there isn't such an option.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont
One thing I have been doing as of late is in mainstage. I layered Pianoteq Steinway D with the Grand Piano sample from Logic/Mainstage. I tweaked a few of the Pianoteq settings and they are at a slightly lower level than the Apple sample. It sounds great it really does sound more real than either plugin alone. I think that is what I'm hearing more of the sample but the resonances from Pianoteq are somehow definately helping here.

If I understood well, your idea is to tweak Pianoteq to sound very very resonant and distant. Then you overlap the Pianoteq sound at a low volume, with another VST piano at normal volume and now you have a good realistic piano sound with many resonances from Pianoteq. That's right?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
^ That’s an interesting discovery. It means only the resonances can be used separately as we discussed in another thread, say use the samples from a sample-based VST and the resonances from Pianoteq. But they need to expose such a functionality I guess.
If you mean to overlap sympathetic resonances from Pianoteq with normal notes played by another VST, yes, probably you could use them if there were an option to only play them... But unfortunately AFAIK there isn't such an option.

Yes, that's what I mean by "they [the developers of Pianoteq] need to to expose such a functionality". It's supposedly what Yamaha VRM (virtual resonance modeling) is and what Kawai use in their digital pianos (virtual technician? not sure if they have specific term related to the modeled resonances only but James has confirmed Kawai digital pianos use modeled resonances). Wondering why the sample based libraries don't implement modeled resonances as well. Doesn't seem like rocket science at all to me. Imagine VSL libs and Garritan CFX with modeled resonances. It would basically kill anything else.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
keff #2921982 12/11/19 02:23 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Garritan piano VSTs don't have sympathetic resonances? That would be strange... I have the Ivory II American Concert D, and its engine has a good (but a little heavy on the CPU) sympathetic resonance model with many options to change its behavior.

keff #2921987 12/11/19 02:33 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It has damper pedal samples. They are great BTW but a proper modeling would be better. I think it also has string resonance (really don’t remember) but it isn’t something really great or I would have remembered it.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
It has damper pedal samples. They are great BTW but a proper modeling would be better. I think it also has string resonance (really don’t remember) but it isn’t something really great or I would have remembered it.

Yes, you remember correctly. Garritan does have string resonance, but it's not particularly advanced/prominent. This is the one thing I really like more on the SK-EX Rendering engine, the sustains are beautiful and complex, even on single note strikes.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
keff #2922153 12/12/19 06:40 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So, in Garritan, if you keep a key pressed and then press other keys, there are no sympathetic resonances from the first pressed key?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So, in Garritan, if you keep a key pressed and then press other keys, there are no sympathetic resonances from the first pressed key?

You can enable it but it’s nothing special, so I used to keep it turned off and it is by default.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Kbeaumont
One thing I have been doing as of late is in mainstage. I layered Pianoteq Steinway D with the Grand Piano sample from Logic/Mainstage. I tweaked a few of the Pianoteq settings and they are at a slightly lower level than the Apple sample. It sounds great it really does sound more real than either plugin alone. I think that is what I'm hearing more of the sample but the resonances from Pianoteq are somehow definately helping here.

If I understood well, your idea is to tweak Pianoteq to sound very very resonant and distant. Then you overlap the Pianoteq sound at a low volume, with another VST piano at normal volume and now you have a good realistic piano sound with many resonances from Pianoteq. That's right?

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm doing. It was just an experiment and I was quite surprised it turned out well. I played it for my son-in-law who is a guitarist. He agreed it was the most real sounding piano he has heard me play. We compared it to various other plugins, including Addictive Keys Studio Grand, and the sounds from my FA-08 and an Kurzweil SP6 in the my studio. What I made it for was big ballad solo piano and singer songs from artists such as Adelle, Nora Jones etc, where a solo piano is the only instrument. I wanted to hear what I hear when I play the Grand Piano at the college. It isn't perfect but it the closest I've ever got. And I'm not going to go out and get Ivory and a more powerful computer just accompany my grand-daughter.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
keff #2922228 12/12/19 11:59 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's good, maybe you can post your Pianoteq settings so that CyberGene can try to overlap it with Garritan CFX.

keff #2922254 12/12/19 01:00 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think I'm not interested too much in overlapping two piano sounds. I'm interested in being able to completely switch off the Pianoteq sound and keep the resonance only (currently not supported and only Pianoteq themselves can enable it it future) then overlap with Garritan CFX or other libraries where damper-down samples and string resonance scripts/effects are all switched down. On the Garritan side I guess it might also not be easy to disable damper-down samples. Some hack may be needed such as editing the configuration file and pointing all damper-pedal sample references to the corresponding no-damper-pedal samples so that it will always play the pure one and the resonances to be coming from Pianoteq.

All that is too much a hassle for me since I already love my N1X which is the reason to even stop using Garritan CFX anymore. But I'm giving some heads-up to people who are more adventurous and have time and the nerves to experiment smile

keff #2922284 12/12/19 02:45 PM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I’ve done something similar with Pianoteq blended with the CFX on my P-515; only I favor Pianoteq, in terms of volume, over the CFX. As indicated above, the result is great.
Granted, we’re not isolating ‘the resonances’ from Pianoteq, but it still works very well; and personally, I don’t think this is only due to the resonances from Pianoteq (the CFX also uses modeled resonances); there’s something about two different sources running parallel to one another, and that’s what happens in between. It’s as if an alternate dimension opens up between these two parallels, and magic, magic then occurs.
In a less poetic manner, the sound seems to expand outwards, sideways, obliquely, and even mysteriously in a way that it convinces the listener of the existence of a perspective that is more than the sum of its parts.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Thin\hollow sound - improvement possible?
by TBell - 11/28/21 01:26 AM
Es920
by Jitin - 11/27/21 10:11 PM
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Fishy scientific experiment - needs candidates.
by ZeroZero - 11/27/21 04:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,282
Posts3,149,257
Members103,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission