Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
80 registered members (Boboulus, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, bobrunyan, alexPixel, ando, 28 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 844 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: johnstaf] #2921177 12/09/19 06:52 AM
CyberGene Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Enjoy! I've just finished rebuilding my action with new parts.

Would love pics!

I've watched so many YouTube videos about piano repairs and regulation, the Reblitz book is my bible already laugh And I know how many things I can do to that poor old keyboard to make it good but the list is endless and if I follow it I may never finish it. Even now, more than a year after I started, I have no huge progress due to having not enough time and being lazy. So, I kind of look at that project as a prototype and Proof of Concept and need to put the limit somewhere already. But it would have been nice to replace front rail bushings, hammer knuckles, re-pin some hammers.

Last edited by CyberGene; 12/09/19 06:53 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2921188 12/09/19 07:54 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
So, I kind of look at that project as a prototype and Proof of Concept and need to put the limit somewhere already.

Words of genius. I completely agree with that philosophy. I've seen so many project fail from the desire to perfect. Systems which were already good but never released because the original developer wanted to tweak.

One piece of open-source software I know took 20 years to get out of "beta". 20 years for software is a lifetime. But this isn't even so unusual for some open-source software projects, unfortunately.

I knew of someone who worked on a kit-plane he bought the plan and parts for. It was never finished. (Over time I tracked his progress on a website he set up with pics, like the pics posted in your thread.) He tinkered on it every weekend for 25 years. He made engineering changes to reduce the cost, such as to the motor, which added years to the development time. Then he died of a heart attack a few years ago. Don't know what happened to the partially completed plane after that. Perhaps his wife tried to sell it or just scrap it. (I know I wouldn't buy someone else's partially completed kit plane on which the original builder have taken creative license!)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2921196 12/09/19 08:23 AM
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Would love pics!

I've watched so many YouTube videos about piano repairs and regulation, the Reblitz book is my bible already laugh And I know how many things I can do to that poor old keyboard to make it good but the list is endless and if I follow it I may never finish it. Even now, more than a year after I started, I have no huge progress due to having not enough time and being lazy. So, I kind of look at that project as a prototype and Proof of Concept and need to put the limit somewhere already. But it would have been nice to replace front rail bushings, hammer knuckles, re-pin some hammers.

I'm sure it will be fine. Pianos Inside Out by Mario Igrec is a must read, although it made me neurotic about things I needed to do. If you thought Reblitz was detailed...

Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2921197 12/09/19 08:29 AM
P
pold Offline
P

Would love pics!

Reblitz is a great tool, but youtube videos speak thousand words, so I am sure you are on your way wink

Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2921225 12/09/19 09:38 AM
N
newer player Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N
Awesome project CyberGene. So take lots of photos or videos if you like.

As this is a beta project and the keyboard needs a lot of rework and you have limited piano repair experience, I would look at rebuilding in two stages.

First, get the action clean and usable state. Button up the electronics and tweak. See how you like the project.

If you like the preliminary results, revisit the keyboard refurb in the future. I also think taking big refurb in two steps will improve the learning curve, making for a much better refurb.

If the results are great, you may be motivated to finalise the keyboard refub 2.0 very quickly. If the results are absolute rubbish, better to find out sooner than later.

Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2935641 01/18/20 09:17 AM
CyberGene Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I know you’re expecting updates and there will be but I had a funny story today I have to tell.

Around Christmas my sister was at home with her husband. He saw that our bedroom was turned into a workshop with a grand piano action and was quite interested in the project (or maybe because he’s a clinical psychiatrist 🤣). And I got a call from him today that there’s some old grand in his fathers house that they need to get rid of. It’s in his words in bad condition, so I can borrow some parts if needed. I asked for pictures and he sent me this one:
[Linked Image]

Well, I was disappointed to see it’s again a 85 key action 😒 Doesn’t seem well preserved either. So, I asked if he knew what brand it was and he said he didn’t know and was already preparing to leave and couldn’t see it.

Anyway, he apparently has found a moment to go and make a picture of the piano brand and sent a picture of it with the words “here’s a picture of the brand, whatever that name means and read.... have you heard it?”.

Wait for it, I’ll post it soon 😉

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/18/20 09:18 AM.

Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2935643 01/18/20 09:19 AM
CyberGene Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
And here’s the picture
[Linked Image]

Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2935655 01/18/20 10:01 AM
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hehe!

Wow!

I wonder if it's a Viennese action though.

Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: johnstaf] #2935656 01/18/20 10:05 AM
CyberGene Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hehe!

Wow!

I wonder if it's a Viennese action though.

Yep, I’m also afraid it might be Viennese in which case I’ll pass on it. But I’m dreaming that it may actually not be in so bad condition and with a double-escapement action and if that’s the case I might even try to restore it. Dream on 🎹

Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2935664 01/18/20 10:26 AM
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Yep, I’m also afraid it might be Viennese in which case I’ll pass on it. But I’m dreaming that it may actually not be in so bad condition and with a double-escapement action and if that’s the case I might even try to restore it. Dream on 🎹

You never know! Fingers crossed!

Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2935731 01/18/20 12:54 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Score! What a find. It'd be a shame if it were in completely ruined shape.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is the capo bar non-adjustable? I thought that was always a thing with Bosies.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2935769 01/18/20 02:21 PM
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Just get that fall board. i forget, is that what it’s called? You can retrofit it into your finished product. wow

[Linked Image]
Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: TomLC] #2935788 01/18/20 03:10 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC
Just get that fall board. i forget, is that what it’s called? You can retrofit it into your finished product. wow

I love this idea smile

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: DIY real grand action controller? [Re: CyberGene] #2935791 01/18/20 03:17 PM
R
Rhodes74 Offline
R
85 is a hint!

worst case, you might fit your own action in it for a start.

-Rhodes74

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Profonity Steinway D for Kontakt
by newer player - 01/20/20 11:18 AM
Baldwin Hamilton serial # lookup
by BobR1 - 01/20/20 09:05 AM
Frequent "Database Error"?
by CyberGene - 01/20/20 08:51 AM
CA97 vs CA78
by giu - 01/20/20 04:36 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,416
Posts2,914,836
Members95,670
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission