Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
27 registered members (Ankee, EVC2017, Coker, CosminX, johanibraaten, 12 invisible), 3,395 guests, and 634 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? #2921168 12/09/19 05:42 AM
S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
In the thread named looking for an upright for jazz they removed my commentary. The op, out of the blue wrote in his first message against trade unions calling european factories labor union spoiled and blaming trade unions for the problems of american car factories

I don't like to start political discussions here or anywhere else but i respond when workers are under attack here or anywhere.

So my commentary was removed. Fair enough for me. But the ops first message with its attack to trade unions is still there.

So my comment is removed because of political reasons because i stand for the labour rights, but the ops first message attacking labour rights is not political?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921169 12/09/19 05:42 AM
S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921170 12/09/19 05:45 AM
S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Quoting first comment of the ops:

"in fact sometimes I think that developing markets are so ambitious and motivated that build quality may be even better than in spoiled labour-unioned European factories - remember US motor industry and Toyota Motor Company history?) But then again, I have zero experience in this field it is just my guts feeling"

Is this political or not?

Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921182 12/09/19 07:27 AM
K
KevinM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Snail

"in fact sometimes I think that developing markets are so ambitious and motivated that build quality may be even better than in spoiled labour-unioned European factories - remember US motor industry and Toyota Motor Company history?) But then again, I have zero experience in this field it is just my guts feeling"

absolutely

Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921186 12/09/19 07:44 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
I've experienced this too when what seems to me to be obvious political commentary is responded to with arguments on the other side, and when the moderators respond, only the arguments of one side are deleted. This seems to show a bias. In many cases, the moderators maybe well meaning but because they themselves might be partisan, they may not even recognize that the arguments on one side are "political." Certainly we all know people who view one side as "truth" and the other side as "political." In fact, there might be such sensitivity to the other side that even references not to politics, but to certain people (including people who are not politicians), are deemed to be political on that side, whereas they might not be deemed to be such on the subjectively "truth-ier" side.

Just saying people are always flawed and even if there was a perfect moderation system and a perfectly fair set of rules, once people are put in charge of it, mistakes will get made, some of which are not even seen as mistakes possibly because of these flaws.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921191 12/09/19 08:08 AM
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Actually, I think it is not very political, since a) it was an almost insignificant part of the entire post, and it was put in paranteses, and b) the OP clearly stated this was a thought, rather than absolute truth, and c) the OP further mellowed the statement by acknowledging it to be a "gut feeling". Basically, it seems the OP was stating his/her opinion as a small side remark.

Since I have not seen your post in response to the OP, I have no idea whether there, from my point of view, would have been any reason to treat it differently from the OP. But if it was kept in the same style of the OP, there should have been no reason to remove it (as far as I am concerned).

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite, Production Voices Estate Grand
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921195 12/09/19 08:17 AM
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My impression is that moderators respond mainly to complaints/alerts by other posters.

Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921200 12/09/19 08:36 AM
S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I may agree that my comment was fairly removed because i admitt my head went hot when i saw that attack to trade unions and i wrote several things not to be proud of.

But still, blaming trade unions for the wrong things in society is a clear extreme right wing position, so at least that part could have been remooved.

Or they could have edited my comment to delete the nasty words and let remain the political response.

But as it is i don't think it is fair.

And i don't complain because of a personal issue regarding myself. I stand for the labour rights, here and everywhere.

Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921204 12/09/19 08:44 AM
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

But as it is i don't think it is fair.

Like many things, maybe even most things in life, it isn't fair.

On this forum, there is no rebuttal or discussion of such matters. The only recourse is the REPORT button.

Learner
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2921213 12/09/19 09:09 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Actually, I think it is not very political, since a) it was an almost insignificant part of the entire post, and it was put in paranteses, and b) the OP clearly stated this was a thought, rather than absolute truth, and c) the OP further mellowed the statement by acknowledging it to be a "gut feeling". Basically, it seems the OP was stating his/her opinion as a small side remark.

Since I have not seen your post in response to the OP, I have no idea whether there, from my point of view, would have been any reason to treat it differently from the OP. But if it was kept in the same style of the OP, there should have been no reason to remove it (as far as I am concerned).

I found the OP’s gut feeling post to be political and personally offensive. I am surprised that it was not edited by the mods.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: pianoloverus] #2921249 12/09/19 11:11 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My impression is that moderators respond mainly to complaints/alerts by other posters.

I think this is what's happening. The mods (being volunteers I presume so I understand) aren't scrubbing the whole thread. I think they're just reacting to "reports" of particular posts. They can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen other forums where moderators shut down the whole thread to scrub it clean of offending remarks rather thoroughly, then re-open the thread with a warning to not re-offend. I don't think that is what is done here on this forum. But this kind of scrubbing takes enormous time and effort, and from what I understand, sometimes more than one moderator!

Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921258 12/09/19 11:23 AM
L
Learux Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

I don't like to start political discussions here or anywhere else but i respond when workers are under attack here or anywhere.

Instead of ignoring, you went into it.

Silence is golden.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Learux] #2921263 12/09/19 11:47 AM
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux

Instead of ignoring, you went into it.

Silence is golden.

+1

I didn't see the OP's deleted comment, but trust the Mod's judgment that it was political, especially given the OP's concession to that effect.

I wouldn't characterize the quoted text as an "attack on workers," and other than the word "spoiled" it isn't even qualitative. Acknowledging certain counties' comparative advantages isn't political, it's just fact. Attributing it to unionization in this case may be an oversimplification, but it's true that Germany has higher costs woven into their economy. For example, if I'm not mistaken, their social security system goes back to the 19th century. Taxes and wages are relatively higher. Also, the phenomenon where nonunion factories sometimes produce higher quality is also fact.

It's an age-old quandary: everyone wants German quality for Chinese prices, but most would probably prefer to work in a German factory for German wages, healthcare and retirement. Then again, they'd rather pay Chinese taxes and rent...

And still I dream she'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921270 12/09/19 12:19 PM
Rickster Offline
In defense of the moderators here, I agree that they rarely take action in a thread unless there are moderator reports, i.e., someone sends the mod a PM stating they feel a particular thread needs moderator attention/intervention.

The moderators do not typically "patrol" or "monitor" the threads/posts/comments. They simply do not have the time to do this, and the moderators usually distance themselves from engaging and participating in the forum threads as regular members/participants. Hence, part of the sacrifice they make in order to carry out their duties as a moderator, which is the hardest job anyone here on PW has...

Also, this is not a democratic internet forum where the majority rules, or the mods decisions are up for appeal. Frank Baxter makes the rules, and the moderators try to use that as a basis for the decisions they make. Someone is always going to "not like" or disagree with any decision a moderator makes, especially the member whose comments get deleted, or gets rebuffed/scolded by a mod in the thread.

If a member gets really huffy, or the offense is egregious enough, or repeated, the offending member may get a week or two suspension from the forum. The members attitude has a lot to do with that. But the suspensions usually involve making personal attacks against other members repeatedly or committing the same offence repeatedly.

Yes, you can make your feelings and thoughts known to the moderators, as the OP in this thread has done. The mods will allow you to vent a little and state your displeasure. But it will not change their decision. The moderators may not always be right, particularly in the mind of some members here, but they are always the moderators, and their decisions stand. On a very rare occasion, a moderator may reverse their decision for various reasons, but very rarely.

Personally, I think the moderators here do an outstanding job, they do it for free, and they rarely receive the recognition they deserve.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2921275 12/09/19 12:42 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think this is what's happening. The mods (being volunteers I presume so I understand) aren't scrubbing the whole thread. I think they're just reacting to "reports" of particular posts. They can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen other forums where moderators shut down the whole thread to scrub it clean of offending remarks rather thoroughly, then re-open the thread with a warning to not re-offend. I don't think that is what is done here on this forum. But this kind of scrubbing takes enormous time and effort, and from what I understand, sometimes more than one moderator!

The mods have been known to scrub the entire thread. Only they could answer why it wad not done here.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921306 12/09/19 01:41 PM
Ken Knapp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In your post, you made some commentary about Greta. At least in the United States, that gets into politics whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

So the commentary gets deleted. Why? Because we do not need people getting upset, insulted, or fighting. That just causes problems. We suddenly have everyone reporting everyone else and it is a total mess to sort out. Sometimes it causes people to get banned. People who may never stirred up a bit of trouble except some sort of political statement pushed the right button in their head. It happens.

So even things about environmentalism, whether extreme or making light of it, can be political and inflame people. So do statements like "It is so much better in "INSERT YOUR FAVORITE COUNTRY HERE) than it is in (INSERT YOUR LEAST FAVORITE COUNTRY HERE). Or anything similar. To the poster it might seem perfectly innocent, but it will get arguments started.

Consider, these forums were started to discuss pianos and playing. Heaven knows that even these sort of topics get people's shorts in a knot as well. But they are the safest ones where we can discuss with a minimum of contention. There are MANY forums on the internet and I am certain that there is some forum out there to discuss what is off topic here.

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 12/09/19 01:41 PM.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921311 12/09/19 01:58 PM
S
Snail Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So standing for labour rights gets deleted. Atacking labour rights is ok. But you don't want people getting upset. So then treat people equally regardless of their ideology or recognize your bias towards right wing positions.

My goodness, and all this while in France trade unions are fighting in national strike in defense of social security retirement rights.

Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Ken Knapp] #2921316 12/09/19 02:19 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
In your post, you made some commentary about Greta. At least in the United States, that gets into politics whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

So the commentary gets deleted. Why? Because we do not need people getting upset, insulted, or fighting. That just causes problems. We suddenly have everyone reporting everyone else and it is a total mess to sort out. Sometimes it causes people to get banned. People who may never stirred up a bit of trouble except some sort of political statement pushed the right button in their head. It happens.

So even things about environmentalism, whether extreme or making light of it, can be political and inflame people. So do statements like "It is so much better in "INSERT YOUR FAVORITE COUNTRY HERE) than it is in (INSERT YOUR LEAST FAVORITE COUNTRY HERE). Or anything similar. To the poster it might seem perfectly innocent, but it will get arguments started.

Consider, these forums were started to discuss pianos and playing. Heaven knows that even these sort of topics get people's shorts in a knot as well. But they are the safest ones where we can discuss with a minimum of contention. There are MANY forums on the internet and I am certain that there is some forum out there to discuss what is off topic here.

Why are people arguing about a movie. Greta got 60% approval on Rotten Tomatoes it can't be all that bad.

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Chopin: G Minor Ballade
Schumann/Liszt Widmung

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921319 12/09/19 02:30 PM
camperbc Offline
It's at times like this that I feel as though I'm the only one who comes to this piano forum to learn/talk about piano stuff. frown

Re: Question to the mod. What's political and what is not? [Re: Snail] #2921322 12/09/19 02:35 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
So standing for labour rights gets deleted. Atacking labour rights is ok. But you don't want people getting upset. So then treat people equally regardless of their ideology or recognize your bias towards right wing positions.

My goodness, and all this while in France trade unions are fighting in national strike in defense of social security retirement rights.

I hope you don't get upset at my suggestion, but in times like these, it truly is best to just step away from the keyboard and let things be. I know things aren't fair and I've had comments deleted before too because they touched on being "political", but it really is the higher ground to let it go.

Believe me, I wanted to reply to that original message too, but not in regards to the bit about the union, but I thought the OP's "gut feeling" about pianos from a certain part of the world was off, really off. But then I kinda knew that that could get contentious and so I refrained.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any idea what piano Alma is playing here?
by Fots - 01/26/20 06:15 AM
3 heartfelt shout outs
by Retsacnal - 01/25/20 11:40 PM
Ritmuller Questions
by Goose828 - 01/25/20 11:27 PM
Which action is lighter P125 or Es110?
by rintincop - 01/25/20 11:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,517
Posts2,917,262
Members95,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission