Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
26 registered members (Boboulus, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, Animisha, beeboss, Anglagard44, BachToTheFuture, 7 invisible), 3,399 guests, and 448 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Inevitable progress #2920933 12/08/19 11:50 AM
Animisha Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I had played for quite a while without any teacher feedback, and when I finally got teacher feedback on a video I had submitted, the teacher insisted I start with the Beginners' course, lesson one. This was not easy for me to accept, but I did as she told me. There were several hurdles in this Beginners' course - I remember particularly a technique that my teacher calls the push-wrist and that I thought was impossible to learn. I sometimes doubted if I would succeed in getting a pass on all eight mandatory lessons in this Beginners' course and I felt envious of other students, who had done this course and happily chose whatever they felt like from the Intermediate course.

It is now more than half a year ago since I passed the Beginners' course. Since then, I have played pieces from the Intermediate course level 1, and today I submitted my first level 2 piece. And I realise - the beginners' hurdles are definitely past! I now longer have any doubt that I will be able to learn to play the piano - because, yes, I know now, I can learn this.

In front of me now are years of inevitable progress, as long as I continue to practise diligently, of course. Certainly, there will be minor hurdles on the way, and I may feel at times that nothing is happening, but even when that happens, I know now that it is part of the process. Fortunately, I am a slow progressor, so it will be many years before I'll reach the final limit of what I can learn. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2920942 12/08/19 12:27 PM
K
KevinM Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
K
Fantastic. 🎵🎂🍾

I like how you have made being a slow progressor a positive by providing more time to enjoy the journey. I am bit slow myself so I like this.

Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2920945 12/08/19 12:32 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
I had played for quite a while without any teacher feedback, and when I finally got teacher feedback on a video I had submitted, the teacher insisted I start with the Beginners' course, lesson one. This was not easy for me to accept, but I did as she told me. There were several hurdles in this Beginners' course - I remember particularly a technique that my teacher calls the push-wrist and that I thought was impossible to learn. I sometimes doubted if I would succeed in getting a pass on all eight mandatory lessons in this Beginners' course and I felt envious of other students, who had done this course and happily chose whatever they felt like from the Intermediate course.

It is now more than half a year ago since I passed the Beginners' course. Since then, I have played pieces from the Intermediate course level 1, and today I submitted my first level 2 piece. And I realise - the beginners' hurdles are definitely past! I now longer have any doubt that I will be able to learn to play the piano - because, yes, I know now, I can learn this.

In front of me now are years of inevitable progress, as long as I continue to practise diligently, of course. Certainly, there will be minor hurdles on the way, and I may feel at times that nothing is happening, but even when that happens, I know now that it is part of the process. Fortunately, I am a slow progressor, so it will be many years before I'll reach the final limit of what I can learn. smile

Which of your two courses did you submit the video to?

[Linked Image]
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: NobleHouse] #2920956 12/08/19 12:55 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

This was ArtistWorks, with Christie Peery.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2920976 12/08/19 01:50 PM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
That sounds amazing. When I began with my current teacher, we had to go back to some basics, but it was worth it. Getting those fundamentals right is important. Keep it up!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2920983 12/08/19 02:14 PM
P
Progman Offline
P
Way to go Animisha!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: KevinM] #2920987 12/08/19 02:29 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
Fantastic. 🎵🎂🍾

I like how you have made being a slow progressor a positive by providing more time to enjoy the journey. I am bit slow myself so I like this.

Yes Kevin, it is such an enjoyable journey, so why rush through it?

Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2921024 12/08/19 04:44 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

How do you like her style of feedback?

[Linked Image]
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2921040 12/08/19 05:38 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

So proud of you!!! 🤩

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2921061 12/08/19 06:36 PM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
I had played for quite a while without any teacher feedback, and when I finally got teacher feedback on a video I had submitted, the teacher insisted I start with the Beginners' course, lesson one. This was not easy for me to accept, but I did as she told me......
Didn't have to read further than this to know that you'd make a success of it! Not so much blind obedience to a teacher, but that you were willing to step back and make the necessary changes. thumb

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2921106 12/08/19 09:47 PM
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
congratulations, just being able to see the bigger picture and stick with it day by day is something not everyone can do. A slow systematic approach will take you far, perhaps even farther than you think.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2921126 12/09/19 01:14 AM
W
Whizbang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Congrats

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Re: Inevitable progress [Re: NobleHouse] #2921328 12/09/19 02:50 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Hi NobleHouse,

I learned very much from Christie, also because for about half a year, she was the only teacher who gave me feedback. Sometimes she wrote down her feedback, once she referred to other videos, and several times she made a video for me. The quality of her feedback has been good. But no, I am personally not so happy with her style of feedback. It is not just feedback - she wants her students to "certify". If you send a video, and it gets approved immediately, you get certified "high honors", if you get it appproved after your second submission, it is "honors", and after that, just certified. Now this is not my preferred style. It is the feedback I am interested in, not certification and high honors - even though, I have to admit, it certainly looks nice when you see "Certified High Honors" underneath your video. Still, this certification system naturally makes me feel that I always have to play as if it is an audition, and I am not fond of that. Yes, if you have a problem with something, it is possible to make a video of your problem and send it to her, knowing perfectly well it won't be certified, but once the problem is solved, you're supposed to send a proper video.

Yuko at PCA has a more gentle style. It is more feedback in the true sense of the word. Yes, sometimes she asks people to submit a piece again - I always do this after I got important feedback, but there is not a word about certification. Sometimes she writes, let's move on to the next piece, and then you move on. I also feel with Yuko that she keeps more track of my development. But that may also be because she is new as a feedback teacher, whereas Christie has given feedback for many years now, to many people.

Last edited by Animisha; 12/09/19 02:50 PM.

Re: Inevitable progress [Re: Animisha] #2921443 12/09/19 08:57 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Hi NobleHouse,

I learned very much from Christie, also because for about half a year, she was the only teacher who gave me feedback. Sometimes she wrote down her feedback, once she referred to other videos, and several times she made a video for me. The quality of her feedback has been good. But no, I am personally not so happy with her style of feedback. It is not just feedback - she wants her students to "certify". If you send a video, and it gets approved immediately, you get certified "high honors", if you get it appproved after your second submission, it is "honors", and after that, just certified. Now this is not my preferred style. It is the feedback I am interested in, not certification and high honors - even though, I have to admit, it certainly looks nice when you see "Certified High Honors" underneath your video. Still, this certification system naturally makes me feel that I always have to play as if it is an audition, and I am not fond of that. Yes, if you have a problem with something, it is possible to make a video of your problem and send it to her, knowing perfectly well it won't be certified, but once the problem is solved, you're supposed to send a proper video.

Yuko at PCA has a more gentle style. It is more feedback in the true sense of the word. Yes, sometimes she asks people to submit a piece again - I always do this after I got important feedback, but there is not a word about certification. Sometimes she writes, let's move on to the next piece, and then you move on. I also feel with Yuko that she keeps more track of my development. But that may also be because she is new as a feedback teacher, whereas Christie has given feedback for many years now, to many people.

Thank you so much for the feedback. It is extremely helpful to me!

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any idea what piano Alma is playing here?
by Fots - 01/26/20 06:15 AM
3 heartfelt shout outs
by Retsacnal - 01/25/20 11:40 PM
Ritmuller Questions
by Goose828 - 01/25/20 11:27 PM
Which action is lighter P125 or Es110?
by rintincop - 01/25/20 11:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,516
Posts2,917,252
Members95,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission