Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
77 registered members (BachToTheFuture, bobrunyan, Ankee, anotherscott, Beemer, Blague, 21 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 838 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Opinions on Kawai Piano #2920755 12/07/19 06:20 PM
I
imisch Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hello, I’m looking for opinions/information on a Kawai 606SPO, Serial #A106290, listed for $1750.
The piano appears to be in very good condition as far as I can tell, and the owner says it was tuned about a year ago, with pictures from the tuning. Is this a reasonable price for the piano? Attached are pictures.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0n4pAynJsrt96ahjQonhLet9w

Last edited by imisch; 12/07/19 06:25 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: imisch] #2920765 12/07/19 07:19 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
You don't say where you are located; so, in what currency is the sum of $1750.00?

It's impossible to say whether the price is reasonable, even knowing the currency, without knowing the condition of the piano "... appears to be in very good condition as far as I can tell..." does not mean that the piano is in good condition.

Depending upon how it was used, maintained, and what kind of environment it was kept in, the piano could be in reasonably good condition, but only a technician checking the piano thoroughly can determine that. That will help determine if the price is reasonable.

According to Pierce, the letter "A" preceding the serial number indicates that the piano was made in the USA and, if that is correct, that serial number would indicate that the piano was produced in 2002.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: imisch] #2920766 12/07/19 07:20 PM
I
imisch Offline OP
OP Offline
I
It seems like I haven’t heard as good things about the Kawais that were made in the US factory like this one, is that something to be concerned about? I’m located in the US, Alaska. Thanks for the input

Last edited by imisch; 12/07/19 07:22 PM.
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: imisch] #2920943 12/08/19 12:27 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Price is more of a local market condition, but it is a modest home instrument of generally decent quality and not very old in piano years. The photos look good, but still recommend a tech inspection for any used purchase, especially from a private seller. There certainly can be concealed issues, but there is nothing suspicious I can see or know about that model.

Furniture style consoles used to be the bread & butter of the home market here in the US. The furniture style cabinets and lighter wood finishes are now a very small part of the market.

Importantly, did you like it?

Finally, IMO, a console like that, if in good condition will be better than a digital piano for ~ same dollars, but only if very regularly maintained. A tech inspection will also give you a chance to speak with the tech about those maintenance costs. For many owners, maintenance falls by the wayside, so a digital piano for similar dollars would actually be better.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2921393 12/09/19 06:15 PM
I
imisch Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks much for the input, I would definitely have a technician look at it before I purchase it, if I do. I did like it quite a lot. I will make sure to find out about maintenance costs/info.

Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: imisch] #2921407 12/09/19 07:03 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Furniture style consoles used to be the bread & butter of the home market here in the US. The furniture style cabinets and lighter wood finishes are now a very small part of the market.

The details about which styles and colors are popular has always been really interesting to me! It seems like there is less of a market for pianos purchased by casual players, and the more serious players and piano enthusiasts seem to more often prefer black pianos. While I still shopping for my grand, I mentioned to my tuner that I was hoping to get a black piano. He said "of course you are. You're a player. Players play black pianos."

I was so surprised by that, but then I felt like he's probably right....

Sorry for the thread drift! whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: imisch] #2921412 12/09/19 07:17 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
ShiftKuro
I certainly consider myself a real player.., but I dislike black pianos. Yes, I have one because that is what is readily available now but I would have loved something else. It was a compromise to have the touch, tone and price. I doubt I am alone in this.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: ShiroKuro] #2921414 12/09/19 07:18 PM
pianoloverus Offline
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
The details about which styles and colors are popular has always been really interesting to me! It seems like there is less of a market for pianos purchased by casual players, and the more serious players and piano enthusiasts seem to more often prefer black pianos. While I still shopping for my grand, I mentioned to my tuner that I was hoping to get a black piano. He said "of course you are. You're a player. Players play black pianos."

Non ebony finishes often cost a lot more since they are more costly to produce. If they were the same price as ebony finishes, I think a lot more people would buy wood finishes. Another reason black is popular is that it goes with everything. Finish preference is somewhat cyclical. Fifteen years ago non ebony finishes were much more popular than they are today.

Buying a non ebony finish does not indicate the buyer is less of a pianist than one who buys a black piano.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/09/19 07:21 PM.
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: imisch] #2921417 12/09/19 07:25 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Dogperson, I'm sure you're right. There will always be people who want one color or another for reasons related to their interior decor etc. And I certainly didn't mean to imply that someone isn't a real player if they own or prefer a piano that's not black. But I do have the impression, as Sam mentioned, that the preferences for pianos seems to have shifted to black maybe more so than in the past...

Re this:
It was a compromise to have the touch, tone and price.

That was me when I bought my Petrof. It was a European-style upright (or what I like to call legless), and I originally said I wasn't even going to go play it because I never liked that style of upright. But there was a Baldwin I was considering, and the seller arranged for both pianos to be in the same place so I could compare them. I ended up loving the Petrof's sound and feel, so much more than the Baldwin that I was almost to purchase. So I decided to buy the Petrof even though I really didn't like how it looked. I adjusted very quickly to the style/look of it, and at some point I realized that I had started to really like how it looked as well! The sound won me over, so the compromise on the visual aspect quickly resolved.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: pianoloverus] #2921455 12/09/19 09:57 PM
L
Lady Bird Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Non ebony finishes often cost a lot more since they are more costly to produce. If they were the same price as ebony finishes, I think a lot more people would buy wood finishes. Another reason black is popular is that it goes with everything. Finish preference is somewhat cyclical. Fifteen years ago non ebony finishes were much more popular than they are today.

Buying a non ebony finish does not indicate the buyer is less of a pianist than one who buys a black piano.

Not true ! In Sauter ,August Forster, and some others polished ebony is more expensive .
The Walnut finish is cheaper than Polished Ebony.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 12/09/19 10:03 PM. Reason: Missing word
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: ShiroKuro] #2921456 12/09/19 09:59 PM
j&j Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Dealers typically stock black pianos because according to Larry Fine’s new piano database, ebony/black is the lowest priced, covers any wood blemishes, and is the easiest to cover any scratches. It matches every style. To buy a walnut burl or mahogany finish in nearly any piano brand is more expensive and in some cases matches the increase in price of getting the next size up. So technically speaking you get more piano for your money in black. OTOH - A piano is a huge purchase for most of us and if I love polished walnut burl to match my grandfather’s clock, it certainly doesn’t make me a less serious player, it just makes me a person willing to spend more money on the cabinetry rather than use the money for a larger piano.

The hidden Bubinga trim on the Estonia I bought certainly didn’t hurt its appeal to me as the buyer.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: j&j] #2921457 12/09/19 10:04 PM
L
Lady Bird Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
Dealers typically stock black pianos because according to Larry Fine’s new piano database, ebony/black is the lowest priced, covers any wood blemishes, and is the easiest to cover any scratches. It matches every style. To buy a walnut burl or mahogany finish in nearly any piano brand is more expensive and in some cases matches the increase in price of getting the next size up. So technically speaking you get more piano for your money in black. OTOH - A piano is a huge purchase for most of us and if I love polished walnut burl to match my grandfather’s clock, it certainly doesn’t make me a less serious player, it just makes me a person willing to spend more money on the cabinetry rather than use the money for a larger piano.

The hidden Bubinga trim on the Estonia I bought certainly didn’t hurt its appeal to me as the buyer.

Sometimes polished ebony is now more expensive!

Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: Lady Bird] #2921458 12/09/19 10:04 PM
j&j Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Not true in Sauter ,August Forster, and some others polished ebony is more expensive .
The Walnut finish is cheaper than Polished Ebony.

That’s surprising. I wonder why? Maybe because now it’s the most popular?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Kawai Piano [Re: imisch] #2921460 12/09/19 10:13 PM
L
Lady Bird Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Perhaps the process of applying the polished ebony has improved.Polished ebony does last very well.
The playfull idea that pianists have black pianos probably comes from the Classic vision of a concert pianist playing a black concert grand.(Bösendorfer, Bechstein,Yamaha ,Sauter ,Baldwin, Mason and Hamlin,Steinways, Kawai, Bluthner., take your pick ? )

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sauter questions
by SHP8 - 01/24/20 10:04 AM
Software to record videos
by U3piano - 01/24/20 05:16 AM
Yamaha P-45 fine tuning
by Happy’s_Piano - 01/24/20 03:51 AM
Where to buy a DP in nj, pa, de?
by Mils - 01/24/20 02:08 AM
why MIDI 2.0 ?
by HarmonySmurf - 01/24/20 01:06 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,484
Posts2,916,557
Members95,717
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission