2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
22 registered members (hzxasdf, accordeur, Jay, djvu10, jon123, Gene Nelson, 8 invisible), 275 guests, and 321 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can finger exercises cause injuries? [Re: TomLC] #2915066 11/22/19 02:59 PM
W
wszxbcl Offline
W
I'm an older student and my teacher told me not to do finger lifting exercises because I can hurt myself. I have to tell you that my teacher knows my personality and that I may overdo it to achieve at something. That's probably why she's careful what she tells me to do.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Can finger exercises cause injuries? [Re: TomLC] #2919133 12/02/19 05:37 PM
R
RogerRL Offline
R
Hi Tom,
Not a teacher, but plenty of experience with a lifetime of various joint/tendon/nerve issues, and I can say: don't listen to ANYBODY about this stuff but your own body and a qualified doctor (preferably not just a GP). I'm not at all trying to be mean, but you don't have a future at Carnegie hall ahead of you given your late start, why take the slightest risk at injuring yourself when at your age repairs come slowly if at all?

Now, to some specifics. A lot of pain come from nerve injury or tendons. For example, tendons swell and they do not slide through the channels as they are supposed to. It will be hard to press with authority, and it will be painful as well. This is not evidence of "weak" fingers, and it will not be helped by practice. It's a biological issue generally only relieved by rest, anti-inflammatory medicine, etc. Nerves get compressed. In that case your fingers will seem truly weak - as it not able to exert force (many times in piano people use 'weak' and 'strong' to mean skilled or not, which just terribly conflates 2 different things). The last thing you want to do in that case is push harder, take on more exercises, etc. Again, in general (I'm being vague because I am not a doctor and couldn't diagnose and offer advice on the internet even if I was), the thing to do is rest, etc.

These finger exercises are, IMO, terrible and potentially injurious. Just one example. Your 3rd and 4th finger are controlled by the same tendon. There is NO amount of practice that will change that. This raising one finger at a time is highly likely to lead to injury.

I'm prone to all of this stuff, and you just have to tune out the naysayers. I used to rock climb. Well, I couldn't grip very hard, but everyone just says "grip harder, do pullups", on and on. Terrible advice if the issue is bio-mechanics and not due to being out of shape.

Your suspicions are right on in my experience, and even if not, so what? You leave a bit of skill 'on the table' so to speak. Big deal. Play. Have fun. Rest when you want to. In another thread on here people are discussing whether to yell at a child whose mother is dying. it's crazy. None of this matters. It's pushing some keys and hopefully enjoying the process and results. This teacher is not your boss, they do not get to control your life, just ignore them or fire them if you need to, and get what you can from them otherwise.

Sorry for the passion, but I've spent a lifetime (I'm 53, been dealing with this since age 10 or so) getting terrible advice from people that aren't doctors, and don't understand or accept that not all bodies are equal. Some can 'push through the pain', in others that just breaks you in a very real, biological way. I had to listen to it through cello lessons, through classical guitar, and now piano. They aren't doctors, they aren't qualified to give medical advice, don't listen to them. Nerve damage is real, and it is permanent, while the teacher just signs up another student when you drop away.

And, for what it is worth, be very suspicious of all the 'just relax' posts. Yes, being tense will make things worse, but there is overuse. It doesn't matter how loose you are, tendons run through channels, and if your biology is such that things are tight in there, you are going to do damage with overuse no matter how relaxed you are. Relaxation sometimes gets sold on here as the panacea for all ills. It ain't true. Carpal tunnel (for example) is not fixed by relaxation, you just might be able to go a bit longer with relaxation.

Last edited by RogerRL; 12/02/19 05:37 PM.

Shigaru Kawai SK-2, Kawai MP11SE
Re: Can finger exercises cause injuries? [Re: TomLC] #2919160 12/02/19 06:52 PM
TomLC Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Due to the holidays, I haven't seen my teacher since I opened this thread. My thoughts are that I will explain to him I did not have weak hands all of my life. I also played drums professionally for a few years after high school band, orchestra. etc. I have always been in good shape, sailing, golf, even hot yoga. It is only now that I am experiencing mild arthritis. So it has become more difficult playing bass notes in my left hand. He did suggest I start using my ring finger instead of my little finger. I plan to start trying that. My technician is going to lighten the action on my piano this weekend. As an aside; the issue of my age and late start at the piano came up. Yes I am 72, started piano at 67. So close to six years now. A good friend and another teacher both asked me "what do you want?" What they mean is: just play the standards and show tunes you like from easy to intermediate arrangements. Be happy! Maybe they are right.

[Linked Image]
Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: Can finger exercises cause injuries? [Re: TomLC] #2919903 12/04/19 10:47 PM
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

I'm not sure of whether this will help, or not:

. . . Have you tried playing on a touch-sensitive, non-weighted ("synth-action") keyboard ?

Some are quite light in their action. The problem I've had, is getting good control over dynamics. And it's not easy to find 88-key instruments.

You might discuss this with your teacher.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Can finger exercises cause injuries? [Re: TomLC] #2920277 12/05/19 07:04 PM
TomLC Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Charles. My technician is coming Saturday to regulate the action on my NV10 so that it will have a lighter down weight. That should help. I decided to forgo those exercises. I think that playing scales and arpeggiated chords as I have been doing are better exercises.

[Linked Image]
Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: Can finger exercises cause injuries? [Re: TomLC] #2920675 12/07/19 01:48 PM
C
chopin_r_us Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Try cutting out wheat.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Differences between C Bechstein C232 vs C234
by Michiyo-Fir - 04/02/20 07:34 PM
New buyer, need help deciding!
by Kebo - 04/02/20 04:27 PM
Kawai CA-58 Issues?
by darksecretagent - 04/02/20 03:27 PM
How to re-program notes assigned to keys?
by jhampton18873 - 04/02/20 02:33 PM
Help me re-structure my lessons
by Ido - 04/02/20 01:52 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,880
Posts2,941,487
Members96,459
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission