2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
R
Originally Posted by Burkie
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen

Stop conflating keys and hammers. They're two different parts.
We're still waiting for your evidence that the Yamaha N3X has fake keys.

Idiotic. The hammers are the keys' reason for being there in the first place. If the key is not manipulating a hammer to strike strings to produce a tone, it's not a plain old "actual" piano.

Ok, so since you refuse to verify your own wild claims I have done it for you.

The Yamaha N3X uses a real piano action with the same wooden keys as they do in their acoustic grand pianos:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/n3x/features.html

'the all-important key action, which the AvantGrand series has inherited from Yamaha’s esteemed concert grand pianos'

But. It's. Still. Not. A. Grand. Piano.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Not saying that it [Casio's pivot length] has [changed], but whats your source?

We can find photos like e.g. these PX-330 dismantling photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/timsphotographs/sets/72157632641890363/with/8427512829/

(E.g. by browsing https://www.casiomusicforums.com/ if it's okay to mention a fellow forum here.)

Then we can also have a look at spare parts and see that similar white keys go into everything between PX-x00 and PX-x35 series and then another kind into everything between PX-x50 and PXx70 series.

So my PX-800 photo is valid at least up to x35 models. (But Casio added the third sensor in x30 so the complete action is a little different.)

And a picture of e.g. a x60 series key also represents your PX-870.

Casio added the fake ivory and ebony finishes in the x50 series, so that might be the only difference between the keys. At least their dimensions look similar:

https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=91087101323

https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=91087104829

We also have this drawing from Casio confirming the dimensions of the x60 series (and the CDP-S and PX-S series):

[Linked Image]

R
R
OK, well good stuff, clothearednincompo. But this is puzzling:
Casio added the fake ivory and ebony finishes...
You mean like everybody else's fake ebony and ivory finishes? Oh, I forgot. Sometimes they're "textured keys" or whatnot, depending on the price and maker.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
You mean like everybody else's fake ebony and ivory finishes?

Yes, exactly.

Everybody uses fake ivory instead of real. The ebony of course could be real in case of wooden black keys. But in plastic keys any ivory or ebony is fake regardless of the brand and the price.

Oh, I forgot. Sometimes they're "textured keys" or whatnot, depending on the price and maker.

Yes they are "textured keys" and they attempt to resemble ivory and ebony, so they are "fake ivory" and "fake ebony". I don't think Casio has any BrandName(TM) for their key surface, so it's just "fake ivory".

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
You mean like everybody else's fake ebony and ivory finishes?

Yes, exactly.

Everybody uses fake ivory instead of real. The ebony of course could be real in case of wooden black keys. But in plastic keys any ivory or ebony is fake regardless of the brand and the price.

Oh, I forgot. Sometimes they're "textured keys" or whatnot, depending on the price and maker.

Yes they are "textured keys" and they attempt to resemble ivory and ebony, so they are "fake ivory" and "fake ebony". I don't think Casio has any BrandName(TM) for their key surface, so it's just "fake ivory".

Er, excuse me. Synthetic Ivory, if you please!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
]You mean like everybody else's fake ebony and ivory finishes? Oh, I forgot. Sometimes they're "textured keys" or whatnot, depending on the price and maker.

Fake ivory is good. Steinway uses plain white plastic, which some people don't really like as it can get slippery.

None of the textured finishes feel like real ivory. I think they might be an improvement in many ways. Real ivory feels "cool", but some people don't like the texture.

Last edited by johnstaf; 12/05/19 07:06 PM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by peterws
Er, excuse me. Synthetic Ivory, if you please!

Is that an actual name used by Casio?

If not, then "synthetic ivory" would be ivory grown in a lab instead of being grown by elephants.

Casio keytops are just part of the key itself and made of plastic. Not any kind of ivory, natural or synthetic.

Regardless of what anyone wants to call them, I really like the texture of the Casio keys. I have pretty sweaty fingers, and I much prefer this texture over the smoother keys of various acoustics I have played. I'm curious... do all of the newer Casio models have this same texture?

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio (Casiotone) CT-S300 - 2020
- Casio (Privia) PX-870BK - 2019
- Casio (Casiotone) CT-680 - 1990
- Yamaha (Portatone) PS-25 - 1983
- Yamaha (Portasound) PS-2 - 1980
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by camperbc
Regardless of what anyone wants to call them, I really like the texture of the Casio keys. I have pretty sweaty fingers, and I much prefer this texture over the smoother keys of various acoustics I have played. I'm curious... do all of the newer Casio models have this same texture?

The Casio Celviano models (GP-300 / GP-400 / GP-500) have the slipperiest keys I have ever played on. Not very suitable for sweaty fingers. Which is unfortunate, as everything else about them is totally amazing.

Last edited by Burkie; 12/05/19 09:07 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Stop conflating keys and hammers. They're two different parts.
We're still waiting for your evidence that the Yamaha N3X has fake keys.

Idiotic. The hammers are the keys' reason for being there in the first place. If the key is not manipulating a hammer to strike strings to produce a tone, it's not a plain old "actual" piano.

Ok, so since you refuse to verify your own wild claims I have done it for you.

The Yamaha N3X uses a real piano action with the same wooden keys as they do in their acoustic grand pianos:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/n3x/features.html

'the all-important key action, which the AvantGrand series has inherited from Yamaha’s esteemed concert grand pianos'

But. It's. Still. Not. A. Grand. Piano.

You were specifically referring to its keys and action.

It's better than most acoustic grand pianos as it doesn't require frequent tuning.

You're on the wrong forum if you're going to try and claim acoustic pianos are superior!

Last edited by Burkie; 12/05/19 09:16 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
R
R
You were specifically referring to its keys and action.

It's better than most acoustic grand pianos as it doesn't require frequent tuning.

You're on the wrong forum if you're going to try and claim acoustic pianos are superior!
No, a digital piano that doesn't require frequent tuning is more *convenient*. A digital piano is to a quality concert acoustic as an electric cello is to a Goffriller. You can put $400 strings on that thing but it's still not going to be a cello. Same with electric violins or the Yamaha silent guitar.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by camperbc

Yes, I believe so.

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
[quote=Burkie] A digital piano is to a quality concert acoustic as an electric cello is to a Goffriller. You can put $400 strings on that thing but it's still not going to be a cello. Same with electric violins or the Yamaha silent guitar.

Yes a different instrument with its own merits and capabilities. Both the electric cello and digital pianos are used with ever increasing use in contemporary live performances.

R
R
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
[quote=Burkie] A digital piano is to a quality concert acoustic as an electric cello is to a Goffriller. You can put $400 strings on that thing but it's still not going to be a cello. Same with electric violins or the Yamaha silent guitar.

Yes a different instrument with its own merits and capabilities. Both the electric cello and digital pianos are used with ever increasing use in contemporary live performances.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not necessarily denigrating digitals. For me they're more practical and I enjoy practicing even on my relatively inexpensive one, and I'm sure the higher end models have a lot more to offer as well (I just don't feel I need that right now). And I'm sure students can learn technique on a digital with an acceptable action. I'm just saying that an acoustic action is what it is, and a digital's is a simulation. That doesn't mean that DPs, electric cellos or Yamaha silent guitars aren't fun, interesting and beneficial to have and play.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission