2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2920066 12/05/19 09:14 AM
J
JacoV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi Everyone,
I started taking piano lessons about 2 years ago, I am 37.
I stopped taking lessons about 6 months ago as we decided to immigrate and life is in absolute chaos finishing work off at work and getting the immigration stuff sorted.

I bought a Kawai Grand from a church, started paying them prior to our life changing decision.
I received it this week.

I really love playing.
I will ship the grand over to the UK .

I am looking for some interesting pieces to practice.
I can play all the songs in my books Gr1 and Gr2 I was about half way through Gr3.
I don’t know if this gives an indication on skill or ability, but it hopefully gives some indication.

My piano teacher was always happy with my scales etc.

Once we are settled I will look for a piano teacher, but would prefer to keep playing.

I have started working on Fur Elise today, I know everyone plays it but everyone plays or tries to play it because it’s a well known piece. It doesn’t look very difficult, but only time will tell if I can manage.

All advice welcome, I am looking ideally for a list or resource of Music I should be able to play, arranged from easy to more difficult.
Is there something like this available?

Thank you,

Last edited by JacoV; 12/05/19 09:19 AM.
G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
ABRSM or RCM? Either way you could look back over the previous years respective syllabus' to get a list of pieces at G1-3 levels. There's also the previous years books that include several of those pieces. I think the RCM syllabus has a much larger list of grade pieces you can look over and the 1-3 levels roughly (but not quite) line up with ABRSM 1-3.

There's also https://www.henle.de/en/ that have a ton of graded music, although their system differs from what ABRSM/RCM use, not sure how closely the levels match up but it should give you some indication as to the difficulty.

If you're looking for books, then have a watch of the Grade 1-3 videos from PianoTV on youtube. She goes through a variety of books with pieces relevant to those grades.

Last edited by Gary001; 12/05/19 09:37 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JacoV
Originally Posted by Gary001
ABRSM or RCM?

I appears your are in the UK now, which probably means you are interested in ABRSM or Trinity grades.
For Music with ABRSM grades, as an example, look for pieces on Piano Syllabus for their ABRSM grade. For example, If you check Fur Elise, it doesn't show an ABRSM grade, but the consensus among the other grade systems seems to be that it is about a grade 5.

Also, totally unclear how these are graded, but you might find this list interesting.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
S
Some good collections I enjoy pulling from;

Classics to Moderns - Agay. Broad mix of pieces up to contemporary pieces for various grade levels.
Masterworks Classics - McGrath and O'reilly. These are great as they have graded levels 1-9 with nicely curated pieces. In early levels 1-2 I worked through these whole books as part of my lessons.
Schirmers Library of Musical Classics - Early Intermediate. This is jammed with classical pieces, Intermediate is great too.

G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
For example, If you check Fur Elise, it doesn't show an ABRSM grade, but the consensus among the other grade systems seems to be that it is about a grade 5.

Is Grade 5 for the full version of Fur Elise or just the first movement?

#2920149 12/05/19 12:24 PM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
ABRSM or RCM? Either way you could look back over the previous years respective syllabus' to get a list of pieces at G1-3 levels. There's also the previous years books that include several of those pieces. I think the RCM syllabus has a much larger list of grade pieces you can look over and the 1-3 levels roughly (but not quite) line up with ABRSM 1-3.

There's also https://www.henle.de/en/ that have a ton of graded music, although their system differs from what ABRSM/RCM use, not sure how closely the levels match up but it should give you some indication as to the difficulty.

If you're looking for books, then have a watch of the Grade 1-3 videos from PianoTV on youtube. She goes through a variety of books with pieces relevant to those grades.
JacoV, I think this is your best bet for finding level-appropriate pieces to play until you find a new teacher. (Although I do think the Henle grading system is more useful for advanced level pieces than for beginner level ones.)

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

#2920158 12/05/19 12:45 PM
J
JacoV Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Thank you for the reply,
I think it’s ABRSM , it’s a South African system.
I have ordered a recommended book from the Pianotv link you shared.
Thank you again.

J
JacoV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
ABRSM or RCM?

I appears your are in the UK now, which probably means you are interested in ABRSM or Trinity grades.
For Music with ABRSM grades, as an example, look for pieces on Piano Syllabus for their ABRSM grade. For example, If you check Fur Elise, it doesn't show an ABRSM grade, but the consensus among the other grade systems seems to be that it is about a grade 5.

Also, totally unclear how these are graded, but you might find this list interesting.

Not yet in the UK, but hope to be over in January.

Thank you,
This is exactly what I was looking for.
I will just start at the top and work my way down.
Thank you again.

#2920164 12/05/19 12:54 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
For example, If you check Fur Elise, it doesn't show an ABRSM grade, but the consensus among the other grade systems seems to be that it is about a grade 5.

Are you talking about this piece? Because it is a bagatelle without separate movements. The entire piece is grade 5. What measures are you referring to specifically, as the "first movement"?

Are you playing the original bagatelle, or a simpler arrangement from a beginners book?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
JacoV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by spartan928
Some good collections I enjoy pulling from;

Classics to Moderns - Agay. Broad mix of pieces up to contemporary pieces for various grade levels.
Masterworks Classics - McGrath and O'reilly. These are great as they have graded levels 1-9 with nicely curated pieces. In early levels 1-2 I worked through these whole books as part of my lessons.
Schirmers Library of Musical Classics - Early Intermediate. This is jammed with classical pieces, Intermediate is great too.

Thank you,
This also looks great.
However I cannot find it locally, will have to look when in the UK.
Thank you

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
All of Fur Elise is Grade 7 in RCM, so I guess that is around grade 5 ABRSM. I think Gary is referring to Section A.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

J
JacoV Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Are you talking about this piece? Because it is a bagatelle without separate movements. The entire piece is grade 5. What measures are you referring to specifically, as the "first movement"?

Are you playing the original bagatelle, or a simpler arrangement from a beginners book?

The piece I am looking at is linked in the fundamentals of piano practice.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Actually, these are all available on Amazon.co.uk: Agay, McGrath, and Schirmers.

[Linked Image]

G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
All of Fur Elise is Grade 7 in RCM, so I guess that is around grade 5 ABRSM. I think Gary is referring to Section A.

Yes, sorry if my incorrect word choice confused matters.

Often when people learn Fur Elise, at least beginner/earlier grade level players. They learn just the first section of it and skip the section with the faster runs. In some cases the sheet music doesn't even include that section. Which makes the piece appear easier grade wise, at least for the pov of getting the notes under your fingers. So I was curious as to whether Grade 5 was the entire piece or if they'd reproduced a version of it with just the first section and classed that as Grade 5.

Last edited by Gary001; 12/05/19 01:17 PM.
#2920185 12/05/19 01:24 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

Yes, sorry if my incorrect word choice confused matters.

Often when people learn Fur Elise, at least beginner/earlier grade level players. They learn just the first section of it and skip the section with the faster runs. In some cases the sheet music doesn't even include that section. Which makes the piece appear easier grade wise, at least for the pov of getting the notes under your fingers. So I was curious as to whether Grade 5 was the entire piece or if they'd reproduced a version of it with just the first section and classed that as Grade 5.

Aha. Yes, all of Fur Elise is graded as grade 5 (except RCM is level 7).

And I checked and JacoV's version is the full version of Fur Elise with all of the turns explicitly written out such as in m.31.

[Linked Image]

J
JacoV Offline OP
OP Offline
J

Actually, these are all available on Amazon.co.uk: Agay, McGrath, and Schirmers.

Yes, Thank you,
I am still in South Africa.

Last edited by JacoV; 12/05/19 02:03 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Yes,
I am still in South Africa.

Ah, you are pre-immigration. I thought from your first post that you were post-immigration. Gotcha.

[Linked Image]

J
JacoV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, I hope to be over in January.
I have ordered, I see the expected delivery is not too far,
I didn’t want to order in case the arrive after we leave.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Yes, I hope to be over in January.
I have ordered, I see the expected delivery is not too far,
I didn’t want to order in case the arrive after we leave.

Good luck on moving to your new home!

[Linked Image]

J
JacoV Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission