2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

(Source: sheet for 'Ending theme', composed by Nobuo Uematsu, from the album Piano Collections: Final Fantasy X).

Hello folks, I'd like to ask for your help deciphering the directives in the first bar shown above.

1. It says "simile", but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I believe I need to play more notes than what's explicitly written in the sheet, but what notes exactly?

2. "Arpeggio": which notes are supposed to be arpeggios? I assume the answer to this question might depend on that to the 1st question.

The time signature is 3/4.

Does anyone have a clue? Thanks!

Last edited by Calavera; 12/04/19 04:42 PM.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Simile means similar to what came before, so you should just continue with the same pattern of notes in the arpeggio all the way up to the top notes shown.

Look at the pattern of how the first three notes relate to each other. Continue with the same pattern and relationship throughout.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
You continue the F-major arpeggio up to the top chord.

So the right hand, as started with A, C, F, would continue with A, C, F, A, C, F etc.

and the left hand: F, A, C, F, A, C, etc.

The arpeggio would need to be played through beats two and three so that the chord arrives on beat one of the next measure.

It's a shorthand that I've not seen before; lazy transcribing is my guess.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Originally Posted by Calavera
[Linked Image]

(Source: sheet for 'Ending theme', composed by Nobuo Uematsu, from the album Piano Collections: Final Fantasy X).

Hello folks, I'd like to ask for your help deciphering the directives in the first bar shown above.

1. It says "simile", but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I believe I need to play more notes than what's explicitly written in the sheet, but what notes exactly?

2. "Arpeggio": which notes are supposed to be arpeggios? I assume the answer to this question might depend on that to the 1st question.

The time signature is 3/4.

Does anyone have a clue? Thanks!

I've never seen it notated like that, but I assume you are meant to play the upward F major arpeggio (assuming there is no A flat in the key signature, in which case it would be F minor arpeggio) with both hands, with the RH playing the upper one starting on A/A flat, a third above the LH.

When you get to the top, you stop with that F major/minor chord in first inversion, when your LH lands on A (or A flat) and the RH lands on C. The RH plays the upper three notes of that chord.

If music be the food of love, play on!
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I understand what notes I need to play, but I'm still not sure where the arpeggios are.

Since I need everything spelt out for me - which this particular sheet definitely does not do, I went to the trouble of messing around with MuseScore to transcribe the measure. I don't know MuseScore well enough to do this properly, but the transcription should at least make it easier to understand what I'm talking about.

Original:
[Linked Image]

Terrible transcription by Calavera:
[Linked Image]
The parts in blue (1 and 2) are supposed to show the two arpeggios for the LH, while the yellow parts (3 and 4) are the arpeggios for the RH. Is this correct?

B
B
Originally Posted by Calavera
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I understand what notes I need to play, but I'm still not sure where the arpeggios are.

Since I need everything spelt out for me - which this particular sheet definitely does not do, I went to the trouble of messing around with MuseScore to transcribe the measure. I don't know MuseScore well enough to do this properly, but the transcription should at least make it easier to understand what I'm talking about.

Original:
[Linked Image]

Terrible transcription by Calavera:
[Linked Image]
The parts in blue (1 and 2) are supposed to show the two arpeggios for the LH, while the yellow parts (3 and 4) are the arpeggios for the RH. Is this correct?

That's right - though you have to go on with the arpeggio for a bit longer until you reach that chord at the start of the next bar.

If music be the food of love, play on!
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bennevis

That's right - though you have to go on with the arpeggio for a bit longer until you reach that chord at the start of the next bar.

All right, I think I get it now. Thanks!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission