Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
49 registered members (ando, CyberGene, Animisha, David B, AudreyJean, albydooby, AZNpiano, AprilE, ChatNoir, 7 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 466 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2919719 12/04/19 01:10 PM
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Look at their profile page. It says the member has been banned at the top.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/100386.html

Oh I see now.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2919728 12/04/19 01:34 PM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't know why they were banned, but I doubt it had anything to do with Lola whoever.

Here's some text from the Piano Forum:

Now for what we do consider self-promotion:

If you're a dealer and state models/prices, it's self-promotion.
If you're a dealer and tell someone to call/PM you and you'll talk about something they're looking for, that is self-promotion.
Is you're in the business and hide yourself behind an alias to talk down/up a brand you're self promoting.
If you're in the business and you continually create posts to talk about your business, you're self-promoting.
If you're in the business and whenever someone asks if a price is good and you always tell them you "think they can do better", the implication is that you want them to call you and thus you MIGHT be self-promoting.

This is not all encompassing and there can be exceptions to the cases stated above, but this is a general idea on how we view the subject.

Piano Industry Professional Advertising Options:

If you would like to promote your business on Piano World, check out our Professional Advertising options.

People have been banned before for promoting their teaching method or website or selling something in the forums. Why should they be banned and Pianist Magazine allowed to continue? I bet if they contacted Mr. Piano World and were upfront about what they wanted to do, something could be worked out.

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: sinophilia] #2919730 12/04/19 01:39 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Originally Posted by dogperson

What is ‘strange’ is that piano performance started this thread and initially supplied the magazine information. That account is active.

Pianoperformance is just a member of this forum who opened this thread - it has nothing to do with Pianist magazine.

+1

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2919731 12/04/19 01:40 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Oh, great! Thanks to those who made that happen. Can you hear the sarcasm in my writing?

They posted once in a while with a discount code, and they answered subscribers' questions and helped with issues.

I found their presence useful.

I will go offline to swear some more and kick some stuff now.

+1

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2919823 12/04/19 05:35 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I don't get why they were banned. The Pianist Magazine account contributed both customer support and a little advertising, not unlike Kawai James. I thought it was really useful having them here.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Chrispy] #2919824 12/04/19 05:42 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I don't get why they were banned. The Pianist Magazine account contributed both customer support and a little advertising, not unlike Kawai James. I thought it was really useful having them here.

Someone here reported Pianist.

I guess no-one ever reported KJ. Probably people are not so trigger-happy in the digital forum, even though one can easily see how KJ generated a lot of interest (and sales) in Kawai digitals, which far outstrip other brands in the forum.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2919826 12/04/19 05:52 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Can we start a petition to get them unbanned? If so, I just signed: WeakLeftHand.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: dogperson] #2919827 12/04/19 05:54 PM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Kinda lame. They could have advertised but still did they need to be banned? They were of service to our group.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: elliep1996] #2919837 12/04/19 06:15 PM
P
PianogrlNW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by elliep1996
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm not trying to chase them away - I am a subscriber too. But surely it wouldn't break them if they bought an advertisement and supported this site, which they are clearly using to sell subscriptions and communicate with their customers.

Sam

Looks like they've been removed according to their profile, which is a real shame considering how useful they have been!!

Is it possible that elliep1996 is the same person as ellie palmer, the name associated with the Pianist Magazine account? If so, creating another profile to get around being banned is not very cool.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: PianogrlNW] #2919858 12/04/19 06:59 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm not trying to chase them away - I am a subscriber too. But surely it wouldn't break them if they bought an advertisement and supported this site, which they are clearly using to sell subscriptions and communicate with their customers.

Sam

Looks like they've been removed according to their profile, which is a real shame considering how useful they have been!!

Is it possible that elliep1996 is the same person as ellie palmer, the name associated with the Pianist Magazine account? If so, creating another profile to get around being banned is not very cool.

Which raises the question of corporate accounts (email, FaceBook, etc.) and personal accounts. I think there is a difference.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: elliep1996] #2919885 12/04/19 08:13 PM
keystring Offline
A bit of an unnecessary comment this! Does it matter what the pianist is wearing? Lola is a pianist who is making waves in the industry with her online presence. Pianist Magazine are just highlighting that, and rightly so. If seeing a woman wear what she wants to wear, whilst simultaneously being successful is a turn off for you, that's your own problem.

I wrote my personal reaction at the time, how I felt, at that moment, and there are is no such thing as "wrong" feelings. Feelings also do not constitute "problems" - they just are.My first reaction was that in a thread on a different topic, a post was placed that did not join in the discussion of the topic at all, but simply advertised the magazine. I then clicked on the link and saw that cover; it was the combination of those two things, with the former mattering more. That said, I run a business, and the impression of potential customers do interest me and since they were still here - no idea they would get banned; who could have predicted that? - Since I assumed they were here, the might have also been interested in the reaction.

I have no reason to be "turned on" or "turned off". It is also not a matter of choice of clothing, but choice of picture and pose by a publication which I understand is there to teach and guide people learning to play the piano, women as well as men. Here I do have some thoughts. The great violinist Ida Handel, for example, frankly stated that because she refused to bare skin, If you know the immense artistry of Handel, then this may bother you as much as it bothered me. I am not so naive as to think that the performance world is fair, and that musicians may not feel they need some kind of shtick to get ahead: Liberace had his furs and jewels, Tiny Tim his tremolo falsetto - but at times it still bothers me. I would want the audience to hear my artistry, not look for something else, and that may be an unspoken worry among some of the female persuasion - dunno - usually there is silence. But that was MY reaction, at THAT moment.

I don't want to switch this into the usual debate, but I also don't like being attached for a reaction I had, as it being a "problem". Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2919897 12/04/19 08:50 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Take a look at this link for example. Note the word "banned" on the left panel.
Quite strange

Although I find it unfortunate and sad, it's not at all strange. There was a lively discussion in this thread about how wrong Piano Magazine was. A number of people gave their strong opinions about their behavior. It's possible some member took the opportunity to click the "Report" button and report the miscreants to the moderators. Presto. Banned. Action / reaction.

I think it is a crying shame. They have been very helpful.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: NobleHouse] #2919906 12/04/19 09:54 PM
Terry Michael Offline
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Take a look at this link for example. Note the word "banned" on the left panel.
Quite strange

Although I find it unfortunate and sad, it's not at all strange. There was a lively discussion in this thread about how wrong Piano Magazine was. A number of people gave their strong opinions about their behavior. It's possible some member took the opportunity to click the "Report" button and report the miscreants to the moderators. Presto. Banned. Action / reaction.

I think it is a crying shame. They have been very helpful.

frown

TH
[Linked Image]
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2919908 12/04/19 10:10 PM
N
newer player Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Sad to see Pianist Magazine go. . .

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2919909 12/04/19 10:11 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Can we start a petition to get them unbanned? If so, I just signed: WeakLeftHand.

Tyrone Slothrop

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: NobleHouse] #2920003 12/05/19 04:33 AM
E
elliep1996 Offline
E
Very sad to see them go frown P.S I am not Ellie Palmer! lol

Last edited by elliep1996; 12/05/19 04:34 AM.
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: bennevis] #2920022 12/05/19 06:05 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

I guess no-one ever reported KJ. Probably people are not so trigger-happy in the digital forum, even though one can easily see how KJ generated a lot of interest (and sales) in Kawai digitals, which far outstrip other brands in the forum.

Although technically KJ does the same thing that got Pianist Magazine banned. KJ makes new posts announcing new Kawai products - and Kawai is not a sponsor of the PW forum either. (All this is said not to get KJ banned but to express my disappointment at Pianist Magazine's banning.)

But as you say. Banning here is somewhat arbitrary. It is just dependent on if someone reports someone else and asks for a banning. KJ is well liked. I guess enough people dislike Lola that when Pianist Magazine posted about Lola, that was Straw. Back. Camel. Perhaps if the cover photo of the 111th issue of the magazine had instead been András Schiff, or a Kawai digital piano, or András Schiff with a Kawai digital piano, all this banning might have not happened at all.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2920029 12/05/19 06:22 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis

Although technically KJ does the same thing that got Pianist Magazine banned. KJ makes new posts announcing new Kawai products - and Kawai is not a sponsor of the PW forum either. (All this is said not to get KJ banned but to express my disappointment at Pianist Magazine's banning.)

But as you say. Banning here is somewhat arbitrary. It is just dependent on if someone reports someone else and asks for a banning. KJ is well liked. I guess enough people dislike Lola that when Pianist Magazine posted about Lola, that was Straw. Back. Camel. Perhaps if the cover photo of the 111th issue of the magazine had been András Schiff, or a Kawai digital piano, or András Schiff with a Kawai digital piano, all this banning might have not happened at all.

You have really got to be kidding. This is not because KJ is liked or because Lols was in the magazine
Read KJs posts: if someone has problems with ANY component, ANY brand of digital piano, he is there to help. Want a recommendation for a new DP, he doesn't just recommend his own brand.

However you believe PM helped by answering subscription questions, this is not the same. They made a lot of money by signing up new members—- and not paying for advertising. Did they offer any other advice? Highlight any other magazine? No. They could have assigned an office worker to do what they did

FYI:There is a very well respected member here who was not allowed to basically advertise inside of a forum post.

PW is a business and they have an advertising policy. PM violated it and it does not appear they were willing to compromise with a small ad. I obviously do not know that was offered to them, but that would likely have been done.
I will not participate further in this thread. I find this discussion very sad

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2920030 12/05/19 06:24 AM
K
KevinM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Just for clarity I did not report Pianist Magazine and never wanted to see them banned. Just have them to be more circumspect in what they write.

I did feel that this post http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2916463/re-pianist-magazine.html#Post2916463 did step over the line and there were a couple of others in the same style. I may be wrong but I've never seen Kawai James do something like that. KJ announces and provides links to new products released by Kawai and I think that is quite a different thing, it is useful information about their products.

I'd happy to say I'd like to see Pianist Magazine back.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: dogperson] #2920036 12/05/19 06:39 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You have really got to be kidding. This is not because KJ is liked or because Lols was in the magazine
Read KJs posts: if someone has problems with ANY component, ANY brand of digital piano, he is there to help. Want a recommendation for a new DP, he doesn't just recommend his own brand.

However you believe PM helped by answering subscription questions, this is not the same. They made a lot of money by signing up new members—- and not paying for advertising. Did they offer any other advice? Highlight any other magazine? No. They could have assigned an office worker to do what they did

I am not disagree with what else you said (that I'm not quoting here), but you are at least 50% wrong on the above that I have quoted. It is true that KJ helps on any pianos while Pianist magazine didn't help on non-Pianist Magazine issues. However, the latter is not that uncommon - Josh Mills for example does this in the Piano Marvel thread, although to my knowledge he has never suggested anyone should buy Piano Marvel, so his is purely customer support.

Those of us that buy pianos sometimes need customer support. KJ sometimes will jump in and help with that.

Those of us that bought Pianist Magazine sometimes need customer support. Pianist Magazine would usually jump in and help with that in this thread.

So yes, PM helping by answering subscription questions was analogous - the same for a different product. They also helped with technical issues with their product. For example, videos that didn't want to play, etc. This may seem different to you, but that's because Piano Magazine is fundamentally a different product than a piano, either digital or acoustic. It's needs regarding support are different.

Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  BB Player 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NU1X or U1 Silent made in Indonesia (1 year used)
by Pianowill - 12/15/19 07:57 PM
Double sharp F in key of G
by FrankCox - 12/15/19 06:58 PM
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,675
Posts2,902,036
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission