Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
51 registered members (ChatNoir, akc42, cmoody31, AprilE, ando, Beowulf, Abdol, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 499 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Retsacnal] #2800415 01/10/19 07:52 AM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I want to applaud the OP for doing this for his wife. Some of us know from experience that wives aren't always here forever. Doing something special for your spouse is commendable.

That is so TRUE!

[Linked Image]
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2800515 01/10/19 11:46 AM
K
Karl Peterson Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you all for the replies.

I have a few options now, and it'll take me a little bit to sort through the relative pros/cons.

(a) - I could have it freighted within Canada to the East Coast, and drive up from ATL and try and bring it across myself. That would, conceivably, be a 3 day trip and I might could swing that.

(b) - I could have the keys removed, freight the Piano itself via normal means (easy to do) and then get a customs broker to handle moving the keys via a simple parcel, have them inspected, etc.

(c) - Being that this is a "household" item and seeing as the piano is >100 years old, I can technically just bring it in to the US however I want. There are benefits for doing it more formally, particularly if I later want to export it again, but setting those aside the US side is OK. That just leaves me with needing a CITES export permit from Canada - I could acquire such a permit but otherwise not make a big deal out of it. It likely won't be looked at on the export side, and even if it is worst case basis is that it gets impounded and I deal with whatever that process is. But better chance it just breezes through the Canadian side, and the US side I'm fine as it's technically a household move.

(d) - I could have the key tops replaced, throw it on a truck and move on with life.

I'm not 100% opposed to option (a) - but I honestly think it gives me a larger avenue for problems than if I have it move across the boarder in a truck or container in normal flow of traffic. Particularly if it is crated and otherwise looks good - I think the chance of an agent deciding to make a deal out of it is much lower.

I'm concerned that option (b) could be construed as a "modification" to the instrument, and thus while I like it's simplicity, I probably won't go that direction.

Option (c) is looking more promising the longer I think about it. No matter what I do I run some risk of an impounding, but it's likely less than I am making it out to be. I'm going to find a small customs broker and see what they think.

Option (d) is a last resort. The key tops have some lovely patina, we'd like to preserve it.

Again - Thanks for all the help. If anyone has a good contact for the customs broker let me know.

Thanks - K

Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2800558 01/10/19 01:57 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Karl Peterson
[...]
This piano has been in my wife's family for many years, although none of them want it now. My wife loves it dearly, and I am trying to figure out how to get it here both as a present for her, and to preserve some of her families heritage.

[...]

Your admirable wish to do this primarily to please your wife notwithstanding, after considering the options and the difficulties they all incur, is this piano really worth all that time, effort (and money)?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2800562 01/10/19 02:15 PM
Norbert Offline
Perhaps call "Tylor" from Richmond CDS, he's specializing in these types moves:
1-604-279-0960 # 393
I know you may find this piano valuable [sentimentally] but be advised that it will have otherwise no commercial value,
hope others have told you same..
Good luck
Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 01/10/19 02:16 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2919591 12/04/19 05:56 AM
K
Keytone Offline
K
That's a really sweet thing to be doing. I've used a mover that handles pianos & organs called A-1 Auto Transport, Inc. and they were great. I know they move between Canada & the US as far as standard moving services and they had no problems with shipping across the country without any damage, problems, delays, etc. They might be worth feeling out. They're on the affordable side too.

Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2919621 12/04/19 08:58 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have no suggestions but did want to applaud the OP for the incredibly sweet gesture to keep his wife’s family piano and successfully move it to the US.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2919685 12/04/19 12:31 PM
S
S. Phillips Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Do not crate it and do not try to send the ivory keys separately. Just have the keys replaced with plastic and have a shipper bring across the border and deposit it with a dealer who receives pianos via Keyboard Carriage or Walter. No one is going to do this for cheap. The dealer will want money for receiving and shipping and there will be at least three moves involved. This will still save money because they can deliver it to an Atlanta dealer who may be willing to receive it and redeliver to your home. Be prepared to have three different moving invoices. Removing the ivory situation is really important. It does not matter what anyone tells you at Fish and Wildlife. The agent that looks at it at the border will have the last say on this. This has been a mess since 2014 and also you have to have it come in the right port even to get an inspection that counts.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
New Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos
www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: S. Phillips] #2919726 12/04/19 01:31 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by S. Phillips
Do not crate it and do not try to send the ivory keys separately. Just have the keys replaced with plastic and have a shipper bring across the border and deposit it with a dealer who receives pianos via Keyboard Carriage or Walter. No one is going to do this for cheap. The dealer will want money for receiving and shipping and there will be at least three moves involved. This will still save money because they can deliver it to an Atlanta dealer who may be willing to receive it and redeliver to your home. Be prepared to have three different moving invoices. Removing the ivory situation is really important. It does not matter what anyone tells you at Fish and Wildlife. The agent that looks at it at the border will have the last say on this. This has been a mess since 2014 and also you have to have it come in the right port even to get an inspection that counts.

With this highly informed opinion, given the potential considerable expense with replacing the ivory keys and the multiple moves, is it really worth the trouble to move this piano to the US? Ms Phillips says not to crate the piano, but I believe that you reported that it has already been crated. You have no doubt researched this, but I thought I read that ivory that has been certified to be older than X years can be imported to the US. Do you know if this is true and if it applies to your wife's piano?

Quite a dilemma at this point, I would think.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2919767 12/04/19 02:53 PM
ebonykawai Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The original post was from almost a year ago. I wonder what happened?

Lisa

Currently working on RCM 7 repertoire
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2919784 12/04/19 03:40 PM
L
Lady Bird Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
It sounds like this 100 year old piano was still playable.
I wonder how long ago his wife played it ? If after this move
it would still be capable of being OK musically, would
be interesting to know.
If however the piano had been in his wife's family a long time
I can understand the importance for the move.,I hope it all
turned out well.

Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: ebonykawai] #2919787 12/04/19 03:46 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
The original post was from almost a year ago. I wonder what happened?

We probably will never know, since the OP stopped posting after his contributions to this thread.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Moving Old Piano from Canada to USA [Re: Karl Peterson] #2919875 12/04/19 07:47 PM
oldMH Offline
We spent a year getting export and import paperwork in order to import our piano using the same shipper who moved our household goods (and who would have preferred to pack the piano with them and be done with it). In the end, FWS pondered a few weeks, asked a few questions about the piano (19c), then threw up their hands and said "get it out of our warehouse. We never saw it, we don't know anything about it, we are not giving you any paperwork, just come fetch it and leave us alone."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NU1X or U1 Silent made in Indonesia (1 year used)
by Pianowill - 12/15/19 07:57 PM
Double sharp F in key of G
by FrankCox - 12/15/19 06:58 PM
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,675
Posts2,902,030
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission