2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2919766 12/04/19 03:52 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Lexington piano upright offered to my church. Is this a piano we want? Said to be in good condition. Unsure of tuning. Assessment please?

Last edited by manyhands; 12/04/19 03:53 PM.

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
There is no way to give an assessment of this piano. Not knowing its age nor its condition, it could be anywhere from a serviceable instrument to a future money-pit.

A serial number would at least help determining the age of the piano. Church pianos are often a risk, since their use is often sporadic as often is their maintenance. Moreover many church pianos are in uncontrolled environments where the ambient temperature and humidity vary widely with often bad results.

Your best bet, if you are interested in acquiring this piano is to have it evaluated by a technician.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I thought the OP meant that this is a piano someone is offering to give to the OP's church?

Either way, though, much more information is needed.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I thought the OP meant that this is a piano someone is offering to give to the OP's church?

[...]

Yes; I misread.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Never heard of a Lexington. Serial number?
Almost everyone says their piano is in good condition...caution!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Never heard of a Lexington. Serial number?
Almost everyone says their piano is in good condition...caution!

From Pierce:

LEXINGTON PIANO CO., Taken over by Jacob Doll & Sons prior to the mid 1920s. Controlled by Hallet & Davis in the early 1930s and then by the National Piano Mfg. Co. Boston, Mass.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I still have a habit of looking at for sale ads for old upright pianos, and grands too, not that I'm in the market to buy another piano. And, although I have been a piano enthusiast for going on 15 years, (not a long time, I know, depending on how you measure time) I still see brands and names on the fallboard that I have never heard of.

However, I do believe I have heard of the Lexington brand, but know nothing about them.

During my fairly short tenure of being interested in pianos, I have developed a bias of sorts regarding certain brands, based on my own personal experience. So, I have an idea in my own mind what the better brands are, especially the ones I've played. But I'm open minded enough to learn more about other brands, and even obscure or little known brands.

Sally Phillips wrote a nice article in PianoBuyer a few years ago regarding donated pianos:
Piano Purgatory: The Donated Piano, by Sally Phillips

I've always heard that you should never look a gift horse in the mouth, but a gift piano is a horse of a different kind, I suppose... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
I still have a habit of looking at for sale ads for old upright pianos, and grands too, not that I'm in the market to buy another piano. And, although I have been a piano enthusiast for going on 15 years, (not a long time, I know, depending on how you measure time) I still see brands and names on the fallboard that I have never heard of.

However, I do believe I have heard of the Lexington brand, but know nothing about them.

During my fairly short tenure of being interested in pianos, I have developed a bias of sorts regarding certain brands, based on my own personal experience. So, I have an idea in my own mind what the better brands are, especially the ones I've played. But I'm open minded enough to learn more about other brands, and even obscure or little known brands.

Sally Phillips wrote a nice article in PianoBuyer a few years ago regarding donated pianos:
Piano Purgatory: The Donated Piano, by Sally Phillips

I've always heard that you should never look a gift horse in the mouth, but a gift piano is a horse of a different kind, I suppose... smile

Rick

The quote about the gift horse usually brings to mind the Greek’s gift of a wooden horse with armed Greek soldiers hiding in the belly of the wooden horse. But when horses were the main method of transportation, if you were buying a horse, the very first thing you did was look in the horse’s mouth. From the horse’s teeth you can determine age. Shorter teeth = younger horse. You can tell if the horse was well cared for because the back teeth will be even not have jagged points because the owner “floated” (scraped down the jagged points) so that the horse can eat properly. Only then, would the buyer look further at the horse’s feet and overall condition. So as long as it’s not a huge wooden horse, you do need to look even a gift horse in the mouth, otherwise you’ll spend tons of money on vet bills on a horse with only a few short years left in its lifetime. I adopted and cared for old horses but I fully knew the horses’ age and condition. If you’re adopting aged pianos, it’s best to know exactly what you’re taking on.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission