2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
35 members (Chouca, AZNpiano, clothearednincompo, Charles Cohen, David B, Calavera, Boboulus, 6 invisible), 356 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1ms challenge
#2919723 12/04/19 02:24 PM
A
Abdol Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Well, it seems there are few folks here, who believe 1ms is perceivable to ears.

Here is a challenge to study the 1ms issue and see who can perceive it and who can not and finally make a decision about finally put an end to this unsolved mystery.

Part 1:
1- Can we here an audio signal which is only 1ms?

Part 2:
2- Can we tell the difference between 2 audio signals that are delayed by 1ms from each other?

The results must be reproducible by anyone who is interested in doing so. So no-nonsense posts, please.

I am announcing the first three participants to prove their claims:

1- @nicknameTaken
2- @pianogabe
3- @Gombessa

Last edited by Abdol; 12/04/19 02:26 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: 1ms challenge
Abdol #2919736 12/04/19 02:51 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Totally irrelevant. The only latency I care about is a delayed sound from the piano, caused by latency in the VST event chain.

When latency is too great the fingers get confused, as the sound doesn't sync with what the fingers are doing.
So I only care about the time lapse between finger actions and sounds heard.
When that latency is low enough it's all good.

I don't care whether I can hear a 1 msec time lapse between two sounds. It has no meaning to me.

Abdol #2919739 12/04/19 02:58 PM
N
N
I agree.
I don't care whether I can hear a 1 msec time lapse between two sounds. It has no meaning to me.

What MacMacMac said - When latency is too great the fingers get confused, as the sound doesn't sync with what the fingers are doing.
It doesn't even have to be only latency, but other technical problems which add to the problem.

MacMacMac #2919740 12/04/19 02:59 PM
A
Abdol Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Totally irrelevant. The only latency I care about is a delayed sound from the piano, caused by latency in the VST event chain.

When latency is too great the fingers get confused, as the sound doesn't sync with what the fingers are doing.

Did I say anything about Pianos???

nicknameTaken #2919741 12/04/19 03:03 PM
A
Abdol Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by nicknameTaken
I agree.

What MacMacMac said - When latency is too great the fingers get confused, as the sound doesn't sync with what the fingers are doing.
It doesn't even have to be only latency, but other technical problems which add to the problem.

It's completely relevant to what you said in your post. You said you perceive the 1ms. You totally ignored the fact that Piano is an analog machine and all the folks here were counting milliseconds instead of focusing on the actual mechanics in a hand made-machine like Piano.

Now, since you denied everything about Piano in your post, you have a chance to prove yourself! Either you're making a joke or you are correct.

I just want to learn something from you and the other two guys here. Much appreciated.

And in further posts, I will make it more challenging. For now, let's just test the neurons.

Last edited by Abdol; 12/04/19 03:06 PM.

Abdol #2919742 12/04/19 03:06 PM
N
N
Originally Posted by Abdol

Why do you want to have approval for a study that has been already been approved and revised?
We are musicians at PianoWorld. Everything that counts for us is that our instruments are behaving the way they should. If they don't, something is off.

To accent it - I never was interested in distinguishing 1ms, but to say that when I use a VSTi, and it's on the reading which shows 1ms, it's too much for me.
Did you take into account that the latency of the digital instrument adds with the VSTi ? It's probably not 0. Therefore was never the same latency as the program reported. Right?

First, how can we find out the base latency?
Your understanding of my claim is off.

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 12/04/19 03:08 PM.
nicknameTaken #2919746 12/04/19 03:14 PM
A
Abdol Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by nicknameTaken

Why do you want to have approval for a study that has been already been approved and revised?
We are musicians at PianoWorld. Everything that counts for us is that our instruments are behaving the way they should. If they don't, something is off.

To accent it - I never was interested in distinguishing 1ms, but to say that when I use a VSTi, and it's on the reading which shows 1ms, it's too much for me.
Did you take into account that the latency of the digital instrument adds with the VSTi ? It's probably not 0. Therefore was never the same latency as the program reported. Right?

It has been studied? Who said that? We can continue this discussion in its relevant post (although it is a dumb discussion).

So in your own post, you were a physicist, neurologist, mathematician and now you have changed to a musician in this post?

And what's wrong with doing something as simple as this once again? Many scientists discovered new phenomena by repeating previously done experiments...

Last edited by Abdol; 12/04/19 03:16 PM.

Abdol #2919749 12/04/19 03:19 PM
Abdol: Maybe you need a new hobby?

Abdol #2919751 12/04/19 03:21 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Abdol, assuming this thread isn't closed, I'm willing to take the test for my own curiosity. Please let me know when you are ready to administer it.

Abdol #2919755 12/04/19 03:28 PM
N
N
Hit me with the challenge, too. I was just clarifying stuff.

Abdol #2919756 12/04/19 03:31 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks, but this topic is already a bit too polemic, and I've already taken/posted one of many available online tests here:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ever-use-a-vsti-anymore.html#Post2919535

I don't have anything to personally prove, my point is just that I do believe people (and not just an anointed few) can perceive much smaller timing differences than some were claiming in the thread.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gombessa #2919759 12/04/19 03:38 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Thanks, but this topic is already a bit too polemic, and I've already taken/posted one of many available online tests here:

I don't have anything to personally prove, my point is just that I do believe people (and not just an anointed few) can perceive much smaller timing differences than some were claiming in the thread.

Thanks. I passed the test. I can tell the difference between the 1ms delayed sample and the normal one.

Gombessa #2919762 12/04/19 03:43 PM
A
Abdol Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Abdol: Maybe you need a new hobby?

Come on MacMacMac, this is fun? nothing wrong with it.

Originally Posted by navindra
Abdol, assuming this thread isn't closed, I'm willing to take the test for my own curiosity. Please let me know when you are ready to administer it.

Sure. I said initially and I'm here to do it.

30 fps... yes, but have you ever heard about "image persistence in neurons"? No one is against 30fps or 60fps. No one said it. The research about Piano is approximate. 25 or 26 ms has no difference.

This though is a different concept. I'm sure the outcomes are interesting.

Audacity is one free software that can be used. JIC and anyone interested can participate.

Last edited by Abdol; 12/04/19 03:43 PM.

Abdol #2919764 12/04/19 03:49 PM
P
Online Content
P
So in your own post, you were a physicist, neurologist, mathematician and now you have changed to a musician in this post?
And what's wrong with doing something as simple as this once again? Many scientists discovered new phenomena by repeating previously done experiments...

Abdol, I was the neurologist, not nicknameTaken.

I myself don't see the point to prove again this well-established scientific result. The fact that I can hear the direction of sound is continuous proof that I am able to detect latencies smaller than 1 ms. I pointed you to proper studies showing this up to 10 microseconds and to a study explaining how it works. This is basic text book stuff, and you can find many non-academic sources all over the internet explaining this.

However if you insist on experiencing this for yourself: take a mono piano sound, copy it, and make a stereo sound by combining them. This is sound 1. Now shift the mono copy by 0.3 ms (or 1 ms if that is really important to you). Combine that with the original mono to a new stereo sound. This is sound 2. It only differs from sound 1 in that there is a 0.3 ms latency between the channels. Listen to these sounds over headphones. Can you hear the difference? I am certain you can. You can make it smaller than 0.3 ms, I just tried this (especially for you!) for 50 microseconds: it is very clear.

I think I said all I can and am willing to say about this.

Yamaha P-115 -> Kawai CA-58 -> Kawai K-300 ATX3
Abdol #2919771 12/04/19 04:07 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You can discriminate between zero latency and 1ms but the real question is whether you can discriminate between 1ms and 2ms, 3ms, ... There’s always some latency on real pianos as discussed, so the goal is not to neutralize latency but make it low enough and not lower smile And I’m with Abdol here. I think the thread where it all started was based on wrong assumptions and declared VST-s unfit due to latency. And we all know that’s not true. One can explain that with superhuman abilities but that’s highly doubtful smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 12/04/19 04:09 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Abdol #2919772 12/04/19 04:08 PM
I cannot distinguish 1 msec sounds ... but I can lose 30 pounds in 1 msec with the new Slim Fast diet! smile

MacMacMac #2919773 12/04/19 04:13 PM
N
N
I cannot distinguish 1 msec sounds ... but I can lose 30 pounds in 1 msec with the new Slim Fast diet! smile

I have problems with that challenge. But that wasn't in context of playing though. Like having it as a sample to interact.
Must I yell that you read that finally?

How to find out base Piano latency?
Because it ADDS with the VSTi latency.

Abdol #2919774 12/04/19 04:17 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Furthermore, your directional hearing ability is based on phase detection and that’s indeed within microsecond range but we’re talking about highly specialized system which is also calibrated with itself. You’re not detecting latency between different nervous stimulus, you’re detecting differences between two equal sensors: the ear drums, they are wired probably within the same brain region if not the same endpoint, if not the same neuron, specialized in that. Detecting keyboard latency on the other hand is a chain of many different events and signals, one neural signal commanding finger movement that takes time to physically move, then an analysis of the “key hit bottom” feedback compared to “ear heard sound”, these are different regions of brain. And there’s probably a separate region that compares them both. Apples and oranges smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 12/04/19 04:22 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #2919796 12/04/19 05:28 PM
P
Online Content
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Apples and oranges smile

Perhaps you should have a more careful look at the original thread. Abdol claimed that the OP's experience could not possibly be true because "the speed of neurons is in ms" or something of that nature. You, of all people, then added that the OP would better consider alternative explanations than assuming that he had superfast neurons (which he never said or suggested by the way). These statements do not make, logically and factually, sense.

Yes my and Gombessa's counter examples are different from playing a piano, and from each other, but they invalidate the sweeping claims that were made, in the original and in this thread. Abdol clearly repeated here that he is not talking about pianos, but just perception in general. There is also the other study that was discussed that actually did come close to playing a piano. Did you look at it? That did not test 1-ms differences, but pretty close to that, and with clear results in terms of differences in perceived playability.

You are free to believe what you want, I respect that, but I would consider things again.

Yamaha P-115 -> Kawai CA-58 -> Kawai K-300 ATX3
Abdol #2919805 12/04/19 05:54 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

The only reason I do well in the 1ms test (10/10) is because the two samples sound different to me, and then I can easily associate the label (sync, delay) to the sound I hear. However, it doesn't mean that I can tell if there is a delay or two separate sounds. I think the high hat sound comes second, so I perceive it to have a higher pitch, making it easy to recognize vs the bass sound. If I listen to the 100ms delay, then yes, I would say I hear two different sounds.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,340
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission