Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (AZNpiano, AudreyJean, AprilE, akc42, ando, Beowulf, Abdol, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,105 guests, and 483 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2888143 09/08/19 09:40 AM
Sol Finker Offline
Originally Posted by Richrf

Finally, for instruction at my level, I have found that Jenny MacMillan, to offer more than enough, and it is completely free on YouTube. What she offers is different ideas on how to shape music. At this point I really don't miss the online course. I almost felt I was rushing along with my studies just to get something for the money. Monthly subscription costs in many ways creates the same stress as regular piano lessons. Right now, I move along at my own relaxed pace and always picking up new ideas on YouTube which is quite rich in content, some of which I post on this thread.

I think you have made a great work with your PCA diary. I haven't followed it though, but it seemed interesting to me.
Why don't you start a thread following Jenny MacMillan's videos, so we can share thoughts and experiences?
I have started with book 4 - Piece 1, but I do not mind starting with book 1. I think I lack plenty of basic instruction - as a self learner - and starting from scratch could benefit me.

Last edited by Sol Finker; 09/08/19 09:41 AM. Reason: grammar

Jaime CLP-645
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2910962 11/11/19 09:02 PM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
Hi everyone,

I've see that there are some new additions to this thread. Glad that it is still alive and helpful to some. I was not aware that the course is now offering feedback. It sounds interesting, but without some video or audio referencing the corrections or suggestions, I would say that written feedback is of limited value. After all, music is an auditory art and written words can never capture the nature of the sound that needs to be created. What would be nice is access to a audio feedback from a teacher who is following this course curriculum on an as needed basis, since most people following the course are probably on a budget. As for me, I will practice a short piece for hours so weekly 10 minute feedback would be more than enough.

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2916386 11/25/19 09:40 PM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
I decided to check out Skype online lessons for a teacher that was trained in Russia and familiar with the Russian Piano Method curriculum? I happened to find one at a very reasonable hourly rate and also very flexible with scheduling. I just started but am very satisfied that it will work well as an adjunct to my own self-study. If anyone is interested, just PM me and I'll provide you with the link.

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2916500 11/26/19 07:22 AM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I decided to check out Skype online lessons for a teacher that was trained in Russia and familiar with the Russian Piano Method curriculum? I happened to find one at a very reasonable hourly rate and also very flexible with scheduling. I just started but am very satisfied that it will work well as an adjunct to my own self-study. If anyone is interested, just PM me and I'll provide you with the link.

Just sent you a PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2916503 11/26/19 07:30 AM
Animisha Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
written feedback is of limited value.

PCA feedback teacher Yuko regularly makes feedback videos - my latest one was 8 minutes, 20 seconds!
Everybody can see each feedback video, and I have good help from a video she made for another students, concerning a piece that I also practise.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2918701 12/01/19 06:25 PM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
I found this free download of the Russian Method book (in Russian) on Scribd for those who wish to take a look at it. All you need to do is register.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/272542484/Nikolaev-Piano-School

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2918843 12/02/19 12:10 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I found this free download of the Russian Method book (in Russian) on Scribd for those who wish to take a look at it. All you need to do is register.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/272542484/Nikolaev-Piano-School

That one is in Russian.

I'm sending you a PM.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2918848 12/02/19 12:48 AM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
Thanks! I own both the English and German versions but I thought members may be interested in a free downloadable version. Hope you are enjoying the course!

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2918868 12/02/19 02:33 AM
Animisha Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I own both the English and German versions but I thought members may be interested in a free downloadable version. Hope you are enjoying the course!

PCA members all get the free downloadable version, and any other music that is used. And I love the course!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2919365 12/03/19 10:46 AM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
As an update, I decided that online Skype lessons wouldn't work for me. What I was selling was very specific types of ideas that are just too difficult to convey over Skype. They would be difficult enough in person. Self-study still appears to be the best and most fun for me.

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2919651 12/04/19 10:41 AM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
Anyone who has read this rather long diary knows that, in this lifetime, I am most interested in quality rather than quality. I'll practice one thing for days and even weeks to develop a quality of skill (this goes with all of my hobbies including dance, drawing, table tennis, chess, etc.). This is a major reason why I do not use any subscription based online course (as opposed to a over time purchase such as Proko's Figure Drawing course) or have a regular teacher. I prefer to develop quality skills at my own pace in accordance with my natural development.

Here is one video that I often turned to for new ideas regarding flowing, relaxed movement that is created in accordance with the music I hear in my imagination. It is a long video, but I'm in no rush.

https://youtu.be/aFJoJ-mah4M

I don't agree with some of the demonstrations which appear sometimes a bit disjointed. But I do like the overall message of relaxed flow.

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Animisha] #2920367 12/06/19 08:03 AM
Sundew Offline

PCA members all get the free downloadable version, and any other music that is used. And I love the course![/quote]

That’s good to know Animisha. My teacher retired some months ago and of late I have lost my impetus and sense of direction. I decided to purchase a year with PCA which, at approx £24 a month, is less than two thirds the cost of one lesson. Just got started. I’m looking at beginning lessons first and familiarising myself with the overall content of the site. I’m not sure if I would submit a video but it’s certainly a good addition to the available resources.

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2922499 12/13/19 09:09 AM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
Hi everyone,

From time to time I get PMs from members who are enjoying the course and I'm glad this diary had helped them make their decision. I understand that currently the course offers feedback on videos that students submit. That is wonderful to hear.

As for my current situation, I'll update:

At about the third month of my course study, I began to feel I was rushing through it in order to get my money's worth. The subscription model becomes expensive unless someone is actively using the course videos, which I wasn't. A one time video purchase model, like the video courses I purchase for drawing instruction, are a more suitable business model for my needs.

What I did need was to constantly repeat the same pieces until I was able to get the correct timing, dynamics, articulations, etc. I asked them if they intended to separate the demonstrations from the lesson discussion, and they said they intended to but never did. Then I found demonstration videos on YouTube by Konrad Salwa, which I felt better suited my needs. I just put a demonstration on repeat and I would listen closely and play along with the videos. It was free and very helpful but I had to use the German version of the book.

Recently, I decided to maybe get ad hoc Skype lessons. Skype is very awkward but I'm going to give it a try. I would pay more for in person lessons, if the teacher taught the Russian Method and if I could do it on an as needed basis (maybe once a month tops), but such a teacher doesn't exist and weekly lessons are a waste of time and money for me since it takes lots of practice and repetition for me to incorporate one new idea into my playing.. Hopefully these Skype lessons afford me the type of additional ideas that I'm looking for without any added stress that often come alongside instruction.

All in all, I still enjoy playing piano very much. Even though I stop playing when life interrupts. I always come back because it is a great hobby and adds great happiness to my life's journey.

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2922631 12/13/19 03:34 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi everyone,

From time to time I get PMs from members who are enjoying the course and I'm glad this diary had helped them make their decision. I understand that currently the course offers feedback on videos that students submit. That is wonderful to hear.

As for my current situation, I'll update:

At about the third month of my course study, I began to feel I was rushing through it in order to get my money's worth. The subscription model becomes expensive unless someone is actively using the course videos, which I wasn't. A one time video purchase model, like the video courses I purchase for drawing instruction, are a more suitable business model for my needs.

What I did need was to constantly repeat the same pieces until I was able to get the correct timing, dynamics, articulations, etc. I asked them if they intended to separate the demonstrations from the lesson discussion, and they said they intended to but never did. Then I found demonstration videos on YouTube by Konrad Salwa, which I felt better suited my needs. I just put a demonstration on repeat and I would listen closely and play along with the videos. It was free and very helpful but I had to use the German version of the book.

Recently, I decided to maybe get ad hoc Skype lessons. Skype is very awkward but I'm going to give it a try. I would pay more for in person lessons, if the teacher taught the Russian Method and if I could do it on an as needed basis (maybe once a month tops), but such a teacher doesn't exist and weekly lessons are a waste of time and money for me since it takes lots of practice and repetition for me to incorporate one new idea into my playing.. Hopefully these Skype lessons afford me the type of additional ideas that I'm looking for without any added stress that often come alongside instruction.

All in all, I still enjoy playing piano very much. Even though I stop playing when life interrupts. I always come back because it is a great hobby and adds great happiness to my life's journey.

Thanks for the update!

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: NobleHouse] #2922634 12/13/19 03:49 PM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
You're welcome!

For me, PCA would be more applicable if it has a more reasonable monthly cost as well as the ability to purchased the demonstration videos for practice.

I'll update how the Skype instruction goes.

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Richrf] #2922661 12/13/19 04:32 PM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I've been watching these videos over the past few weeks nice to see someone made a thread about it. This is about as good an online course as you will find anywhere. The young teacher clearly wants to her students to learn at least from the videos I watch. I am interested in the Russian school as what they emphasize is the area of my playing that I want to work on.

My teacher was taught in China from the Russian Method so these videos would be applicable for my needs. https://www.muenwei.com/

Last edited by Jethro; 12/13/19 04:42 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Jethro] #2922677 12/13/19 05:06 PM
R
Richrf Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Jethro
I've been watching these videos over the past few weeks nice to see someone made a thread about it. This is about as good an online course as you will find anywhere. The young teacher clearly wants to her students to learn at least from the videos I watch. I am interested in the Russian school as what they emphasize is the area of my playing that I want to work on.

My teacher was taught in China from the Russian Method so these videos would be applicable for my needs. https://www.muenwei.com/

Hi Jethro! Glad to hear you are enjoying the course. The method employed is quite different from other methods as it emphasizes and trains "nimbleness". Once I understood the fundamental approach of gradually developing nimbleness of both mind and body, it really changed my attitude of learning to play music.

Thanks for the link to your teacher!

Rich

Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Jethro] #2922714 12/13/19 08:46 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Are your lessons with your teacher "in person" or by Skype?

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: NobleHouse] #2922746 12/14/19 01:49 AM
J
Jethro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

If I have a teacher it’s always in person. Ms. Wei goes by Vanessa and she currently teaches in Tampa. She was going to buy my RX2 if it wasn’t sold. She’s the teacher I said who practices on a digital at home but polishes her pieces on acoustics but doesn’t consider digitals a suitable replacement from my discussions with her.

I used to live in Boston and NYC, there I had access through community programs to high level teachers at good conservatories. I took lessons at the Longy School of Music in Harvard Square and at the Brooklyn Queens Conservatory of Music in NYC as well as the Bloomindale School of Music on the upper West Side of Manhattan. I moved to the Tampa area in Florida and I was disheartened that there were no good conservatories around so I started looking at private teachers and it was not at the same level of teaching that I was used to. Over time this has changed and I have a feeling that Tampa is slowly becoming a destination for fine piano instruction if you know where to look. There are two pedagogues who are having an influence on this. One of which is Rebecca Penneys a long respected Eastman Professor and World famous pianist retired and still semi- teaches here. https://www.esm.rochester.edu/faculty/penneys_rebecca/ and Dr Judith Jain who founded the New Tampa School of Music a little gem of an academy I think modeled after the New School of Piano Study in Princeton founded by the much revered pedagogue Frances Clark. After Dr Jain received her doctorate I believe she did a fellowship training at this school and now she built a similar school in Tampa.

Her school is attracting top talent to the Tampa region who are almost like residents in training in the academy under Dr Jain. The students get to learn under top notch performing artists and pedagogues such as Dr. Vanessa Wei (my teacher) as they themselves improve upon their teaching skills. I see these young teachers as the Harvard grads of Music schools doing their residency here. My last teacher at the academy was Ariadne Antipa a former student of Rebecca Penny’s at Eastman who is now completing her Doctorate at the University of Cincinnati.

Here she is:

They were lucky to have Valentina Lisitsa stop by the academy to give a mini masterclass a couple of years back.

I’ve been blessed to always have been always able to find outstanding teachers and I’m very picky about teachers because I think it makes a huge difference.

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Re: Piano Career Academy -diary for Russian Method online course [Re: Jethro] #2922906 12/14/19 03:22 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

If I have a teacher it’s always in person. Ms. Wei goes by Vanessa and she currently teaches in Tampa. She was going to buy my RX2 if it wasn’t sold. She’s the teacher I said who practices on a digital at home but polishes her pieces on acoustics but doesn’t consider digitals a suitable replacement from my discussions with her.

I used to live in Boston and NYC, there I had access through community programs to high level teachers at good conservatories. I took lessons at the Longy School of Music in Harvard Square and at the Brooklyn Queens Conservatory of Music in NYC as well as the Bloomindale School of Music on the upper West Side of Manhattan. I moved to the Tampa area in Florida and I was disheartened that there were no good conservatories around so I started looking at private teachers and it was not at the same level of teaching that I was used to. Over time this has changed and I have a feeling that Tampa is slowly becoming a destination for fine piano instruction if you know where to look. There are two pedagogues who are having an influence on this. One of which is Rebecca Penneys a long respected Eastman Professor and World famous pianist retired and still semi- teaches here. https://www.esm.rochester.edu/faculty/penneys_rebecca/ and Dr Judith Jain who founded the New Tampa School of Music a little gem of an academy I think modeled after the New School of Piano Study in Princeton founded by the much revered pedagogue Frances Clark. After Dr Jain received her doctorate I believe she did a fellowship training at this school and now she built a similar school in Tampa.

Her school is attracting top talent to the Tampa region who are almost like residents in training in the academy under Dr Jain. The students get to learn under top notch performing artists and pedagogues such as Dr. Vanessa Wei (my teacher) as they themselves improve upon their teaching skills. I see these young teachers as the Harvard grads of Music schools doing their residency here. My last teacher at the academy was Ariadne Antipa a former student of Rebecca Penny’s at Eastman who is now completing her Doctorate at the University of Cincinnati.

Here she is:

They were lucky to have Valentina Lisitsa stop by the academy to give a mini masterclass a couple of years back.

I’ve been blessed to always have been always able to find outstanding teachers and I’m very picky about teachers because I think it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the detailed recap. It is great you have teachers you love to learn with!

[Linked Image]
Page 25 of 25 1 2 23 24 25

Moderated by  BB Player 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NU1X or U1 Silent made in Indonesia (1 year used)
by Pianowill - 12/15/19 07:57 PM
Double sharp F in key of G
by FrankCox - 12/15/19 06:58 PM
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,675
Posts2,902,030
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission