Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
54 registered members (AudreyJean, CyberGene, albydooby, AZNpiano, AprilE, ChatNoir, akc42, cmoody31, ando, 10 invisible), 1,174 guests, and 492 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Live performance vs. artwork. #2919452 12/03/19 03:44 PM
M
Meelays Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Trying to organize my youtube channel and put all my piano compositions there...but I'm stuck on making a decision on whether or not to use artwork as the video..or have my live piano playing as the video. I always record my works live with the video of my playing and share those on FB. But with just the artwork it seems so different. Not as 'distracting.' but I love the live performances. What do you guys think? I could upload both..but it would be just a mess. would rather have 1 raw version of every piece. I could also upload the painting I used for my pieces as the thumbnail and have my live playing as the video. Then have 2 different versions of the final entire project, 1 with live video and other just audio and artwork. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjfOe7m8C9s here is one of my pieces with just audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InAMRgE4PK0 here is it with video. n

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919492 12/03/19 05:51 PM
A
amyram Offline
A
Wow you have a new fan.

Oh and if your looking for a vote, I would vote for the art with a link to the YT vid. which is also impressive.

Last edited by amyram; 12/03/19 06:01 PM.
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919494 12/03/19 06:01 PM
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Use the video of you playing. I doubt you'll find many people disagree with that on a piano forum. grin

Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: amyram] #2919514 12/03/19 07:58 PM
M
Meelays Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you very much Amyram smile !!This is giving me such bad ocd, I don't know which to choose lol. I'm kind of in favor of the art approach as well. Allows you to focus more on the music itself.

Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: johnstaf] #2919515 12/03/19 08:01 PM
M
Meelays Offline OP
OP Offline
M
and thank you johnstaf. I think you're right on that hahah. This is what I will most likely do.

Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: johnstaf] #2919522 12/03/19 08:46 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Use the video of you playing. I doubt you'll find many people disagree with that on a piano forum. grin

+2 Use the video of you playing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919633 12/04/19 09:38 AM
S
Suzysue Offline
S
I vote for only using Artwork if it is your original work, else I would rather watch your performance.

Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919636 12/04/19 09:43 AM
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
Could you do both, mostly art work but from time to time blend smoothly into the live performance, and then back again?

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite, Production Voices Estate Grand
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919643 12/04/19 10:03 AM
M
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Do you have permission to use the artwork? Still, I think I prefer the video of you playing, it helps to understand the music better for me. I highly recommend that you work on getting better quality audio and video, the music is very good but I found the low quality distracting and some of the subtleties were lost. Perhaps that's why I prefer the video because it helped me get what was being played.

I know you didn't ask, so feel free to ignore this unsolicited advice: I think you have excellent ideas in your composition, but I feel 9 minutes of it is a bit much - not for the length, but for the ideas you present. Great composers of the past were masters at not only coming up with interesting ideas, but also the art of knowing just how much of it to give the listener: too little and you disappoint and frustrate the listener; too much and the interest is lost. It's better to leave the listener a little on the side of wanting to hear more. I hope this comment is helpful smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Morodiene] #2919645 12/04/19 10:07 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Do you have permission to use the artwork? Still, I think I prefer the video of you playing, it helps to understand the music better for me. I highly recommend that you work on getting better quality audio and video, the music is very good but I found the low quality distracting and some of the subtleties were lost. Perhaps that's why I prefer the video because it helped me get what was being played.

I know you didn't ask, so feel free to ignore this unsolicited advice: I think you have excellent ideas in your composition, but I feel 9 minutes of it is a bit much - not for the length, but for the ideas you present. Great composers of the past were masters at not only coming up with interesting ideas, but also the art of knowing just how much of it to give the listener: too little and you disappoint and frustrate the listener; too much and the interest is lost. It's better to leave the listener a little on the side of wanting to hear more. I hope this comment is helpful smile

+1! I also thought some of the ideas went on too long. Tantalizing is a lot better than hammering it home so much the viewer reaches for the stop button. Instead keep their interest by moving on to a a different idea before the old one is beaten to death.

Also note that sometimes, there may still be something for you (the composer) to artistically explore further, but for the viewer/listener, it is already enough. Imagine it from the listener's perspective.

(Making this comment in the spirit of helping OP improve!)

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2919676 12/04/19 12:22 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Morodiene
[...]I know you didn't ask, so feel free to ignore this unsolicited advice: I think you have excellent ideas in your composition, but I feel 9 minutes of it is a bit much - not for the length, but for the ideas you present. Great composers of the past were masters at not only coming up with interesting ideas, but also the art of knowing just how much of it to give the listener: too little and you disappoint and frustrate the listener; too much and the interest is lost. It's better to leave the listener a little on the side of wanting to hear more. I hope this comment is helpful smile

+1! I also thought some of the ideas went on too long. Tantalizing is a lot better than hammering it home so much the viewer reaches for the stop button. Instead keep their interest by moving on to a a different idea before the old one is beaten to death.

Also note that sometimes, there may still be something for you (the composer) to artistically explore further, but for the viewer/listener, it is already enough. Imagine it from the listener's perspective.

(Making this comment in the spirit of helping OP improve!)

I agree with these comments; the content of the video went on far too long.

I think that you need to work on your composition skills a little more if you hope to gain a repeat and captive audience. I blanked out at about the three-minute mark because all I was hearing were endless arpeggios up and down the piano. Some of them were complex and harmonically interesting, but I heard no thematic material and felt no sense of structure and direction to the improvisation.

Take the two arpeggio Etudes by Chopin, for example: Op. 10, No. 1 and Op. 25, No. 12. They are brief, they have distinct melodic content and each moves from beginning to end with a sense of purpose and direction. Not that I want to compare your extemporizing with Chopin's writing, but to suggest that a single idea should be contained, not expanded upon to the point of exhausting the listener.

If that is going to be your style then the interest would be in watching you rather than gazing at a piece of static art work.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 12/04/19 12:27 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Suzysue] #2919724 12/04/19 01:29 PM
M
Meelays Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for sharing your opinion SuzySue.

Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2919727 12/04/19 01:34 PM
M
Meelays Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you I was thinking of doing something like that, that could be a good idea. Maybe only show my playing when there's something technical, then the rest be a painting. I might do that in future pieces. Thank you for your input QuasiUnaFantasia

Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919738 12/04/19 01:56 PM
M
Meelays Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you all for your criticisms. This is my 3rd piece of music I ever composed, but that's no excuse, I agree. Even nowadays I hammer points way too long, and I use way too many arpeggios, and especially back then, but it is who I am as a composer. I never grew up on classical music. I listened to music that was technical, but very repetitive. Classical is very very hard to compose because everyone wants constant movement and change, which is ok, but it's just not who I am. I agree this piece could be 'summed' up in a 4 minute etude, but where's the fun in that, sorry. Can't please everyone, especially in classical music, everyone always wants something changed. If it were a 3 minute piece, then people would be yelling why isn't it longer?? But thank you all for your criticism I really do appreciate you taking time out of your day to listen and give me advice. I too have noticed that about my composing as well over the years. I've realized I write better when I write short pieces. When I write long works, I get lost. My more recent pieces have been a little more focused.

Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: BruceD] #2919830 12/04/19 06:01 PM
M
Meelays Offline OP
OP Offline
M
"Not that I want to compare your extemporizing with Chopin's writing." Thanks for the insult. This is why I hate these classical forums. I just asked a simple artwork vs video opinion. Everyone's always trying to point out flaws in composition. Tell me instead what the piece made you think of, where it brought you...anything besides composition. Lord almighty.

Last edited by Meelays; 12/04/19 06:02 PM.
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919836 12/04/19 06:12 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Meelays
"Not that I want to compare your extemporizing with Chopin's writing." Thanks for the insult. This is why I hate these classical forums. I just asked a simple artwork vs video opinion. Everyone's always trying to point out flaws in composition. Tell me instead what the piece made you think of, where it brought you...anything besides composition. Lord almighty.

Most composers who post here appreciate comments on the composition, and consider them helpful whether requested of not.

So if you don’t want any, you might want to include that in your original post.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919838 12/04/19 06:15 PM
A
amyram Offline
A
Or you could ask With video or without? ...Oh wait that was the simple question.

Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919846 12/04/19 06:27 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I apologize for overstepping the limits of your question. Go with the video of your playing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919859 12/04/19 07:01 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I overstepped the question too. Sorry. I vote for the video.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Live performance vs. artwork. [Re: Meelays] #2919867 12/04/19 07:26 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think better with the picture and the video. It did not sound like leaves to me. It reminded me of aquarium / carnival of the animals. Maybe with a shark breaking in to the aquarium and feeding frenzy. I thought it was good. Good luck with the composing !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sN3Xmnd5cs

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NU1X or U1 Silent made in Indonesia (1 year used)
by Pianowill - 12/15/19 07:57 PM
Double sharp F in key of G
by FrankCox - 12/15/19 06:58 PM
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,675
Posts2,902,030
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission