Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
63 registered members (albydooby, AZNpiano, AudreyJean, AprilE, akc42, ando, Beowulf, Abdol, Animisha, 12 invisible), 1,091 guests, and 491 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2918986 12/02/19 09:59 AM
B
Boboulus Offline
B
@Tyr What was you thoughts about the pedals?

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2918993 12/02/19 10:16 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I find it interesting that the action is so much quieter on the NV5 than the N1UX.

Tyr, could you make a recording of you playing something, with the sound off so we can just hear the sound of your action? I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the action on your N1UX. Because the difference shouldn't be so big.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2919006 12/02/19 10:58 AM
U
U3piano Offline
U
Tyr you make that nv5 sure sound promising, can't wait to try one!

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Boboulus] #2919007 12/02/19 11:00 AM
T
Tyr Offline
T
Originally Posted by Boboulus
@Tyr What was you thoughts about the pedals?

The damper pedal is a bit on the heavier side due to the damper mechanism (similar to the NV10) which makes the action lighter when the pedal is pressed down. The control over the sustain effect works good. It doesn't feel uncomfortable.

Current: None
Ordered: Kawai Novus NV5
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2919010 12/02/19 11:05 AM
P
Pete14 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, I’m hoping for current NV10 owners to try this NV5 and further fill us in on the specifics.

If it turns out that even -more- NV10 owners feel that the NV5 indeed sounds ‘better’, that would be somewhat unexpected considering that the NV10 is supposed to be the flagship (sorry, Mac). smile

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2919012 12/02/19 11:06 AM
P
Peddler100 Offline
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I find it interesting that the action is so much quieter on the NV5 than the N1UX.

Tyr, could you make a recording of you playing something, with the sound off so we can just hear the sound of your action? I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the action on your N1UX. Because the difference shouldn't be so big.

The NU1X does have a "Noisy" action. I don't notice it but if I was playing on headphones with someone else in the room they would definitely hear it. I wonder if Kawaii took this into account when creating the keyboard for the NV5? On an acoustic the noise factor of the keyboard doesn't really matter but on a hybrid in some cases like for Tyr it could be an issue. This could be another area, in addition to the soundboard, where Kawaii is advancing the design of hybrid DPs.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
Formerly known as oneilt130
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Peddler100] #2919015 12/02/19 11:12 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peddler100

The NU1X does have a "Noisy" action. I don't notice it but if I was playing on headphones with someone else in the room they would definitely hear it. I wonder if Kawaii took this into account when creating the keyboard for the NV5? On an acoustic the noise factor of the keyboard doesn't really matter but on a hybrid in some cases like for Tyr it could be an issue. This could be another area, in addition to the soundboard, where Kawaii is advancing the design of hybrid DPs.

What is making the acoustical action quieter, then?

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2919016 12/02/19 11:13 AM
T
Tyr Offline
T
I don't think Kawai took it into account by intent, to have a more quiet action. It's still louder than Non-Hybrid actions but not as loud as the NV10 or NU1X one.

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2919105 12/02/19 03:27 PM
J
johanibraaten Online Content
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by Peddler100

They aren't, it's just that acoustic pianos are never played at such low volume where the action noise will be too apparent. The exceptions is silent/aptx/TS/Aures etc. and in these cases I think the action is as loud as in hybrids.

Last edited by johanibraaten; 12/02/19 03:29 PM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2919107 12/02/19 03:34 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
There's a lot you CAN do to quiet down the action in an acoustic piano, it's just never really been much of a necessity (I guess short of silent pianos).

You could damp the cabinet, use thicker/more felts, or different materials (e.g., as Kawai does on the stop bar), etc. The geometry probably matters too; I always feel like the NU1 has a short, stiff throw, which could be part of the reason its keys clack/thump fairly loudly. A keybed with different movement characteristics could sound very different...

But all of this is making the NV5 to sound like a very enticing instrument.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Tyr] #2919118 12/02/19 03:52 PM
A
alexPixel Offline
A
wow the NV5 looks better and better, thanks @Tyr. I was more focused on a CS11 (or successor) because of the price, but I need to start saving for the extra nv5 costs.

There are three german magazine reviews out, of which I know of. Not sure how "good" this magazines are. Just to whet your appetite laugh
bought them all eek

KEYBOARDS 2019 Nr. 3 https://www.keyboards.de
german:
"das ergebnis dieses setups ist ein piano-sound, welcher derart unfassbar nah an das spektrum eines akustischen pendants heranreicht, dass ein unwissender mit verbundenen augen die fehlenden saiten wohl nicht bemerken würde."

english (google translate):
"the result of this setup is a piano sound that is so incredibly close to the spectrum of an acoustic pendants that some with blindfolded eyes would probably not notice the missing strings."

OKEY 2019-11 https://www.okey-online.com
german:
"das spielgefühl ist außerordentlich ‘natürlich’ – eben weil die tastatur direkt aus dem akustischen instrument kommt. man vergisst, dass man eigentlich an einem digitalen instrument sitzt."

"the playing feeling is extremely 'natural' - because the keyboard comes directly from the acoustic instrument. you forget that you are actually sitting at a digital instrument."

and

tastenwelt 2019 nr. 6 https://www.tastenwelt.de
German:
"das resultat sind haptik und anschlagverhalten, die einem echten Klavier absolut ebenbürtig sind. ... auch das repetitionsverhalten überzeugt und bleibt nur nuancen hinter einem echten Klavier zurück."

"the result is haptics and impact behavior, which are absolutely equal to a real piano. ... also the repetition behavior convinces and only nuances remain behind a real piano."

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2919125 12/02/19 04:12 PM
P
Pete14 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I believe those are not reviews, but rather advertising pieces. Am I right?
If I had a penny for every review claiming ‘it’s indistinguishable from the real thing’, I’d have a lot of pennies.

That being said, I am looking forward to hands-on (genuine) user reviews.
All hyperbole aside, the instrument does seem promising. I hope our expectations are surpassed (fingers crossed).

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: johanibraaten] #2919136 12/02/19 04:46 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johanibraaten

They aren't, it's just that acoustic pianos are never played at such low volume where the action noise will be too apparent. The exceptions is silent/aptx/TS/Aures etc. and in these cases I think the action is as loud as in hybrids.

Oh sorry. I should have been more clear. I was asking what makes the NV5 mechanical action so much quieter than the NU1X mechanical action. But I think Gombessa raised some possibilities.

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2919159 12/02/19 05:50 PM
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Unless the noise comes from the stop rail shock, the main source of noise is the front rail. The front rail is actually just a pin under the front part of the keys with paper punchings and a thick felt shim on top of it. That's the main shock that comes from the movement of the key. There are two options to dampen it: make the felt softer and thicker than standard which is what created the infamous mushy feeling of CA-series. Or make better body insulation and since it's a proper piano action I doubt they messed it up with thicker felts, so probably they just created a better sound insulation.

I hope Tyr won't get it as picking on him but I notice a tendency of himself to change pianos often, starting with praises and ending with replacing with the next one smile So, I'll wait until he replaces it with his next piano (which will probably be an acoustic piano since he already owned all hybrid pianos) and then he will be fair about the NV5 wink

Last edited by CyberGene; 12/02/19 05:51 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: CyberGene] #2919161 12/02/19 05:53 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
So, I'll wait until he replaces it with his next piano (which will probably be an acoustic piano since he already owned all hybrid pianos) and then he will be fair about the NV5 wink

As you have experienced yourself, with a baby so young, it will be a while before the Tyr family probably can go to a real acoustic smile

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Pete14] #2919162 12/02/19 05:57 PM
T
Tyr Offline
T
Originally Posted by Pete14
I believe those are not reviews, but rather advertising pieces. Am I right?
If I had a penny for every review claiming ‘it’s indistinguishable from the real thing’, I’d have a lot of pennies.

That being said, I am looking forward to hands-on (genuine) user reviews.
All hyperbole aside, the instrument does seem promising. I hope our expectations are surpassed (fingers crossed).

As far as i can say, all of them are good sources for piano news with honest reviews. They are magazines, not shops (like bonners for example) that try to sell intruments.

But i agree with you, the best way to check is getting your hands on it by yourself.

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2919163 12/02/19 05:57 PM
J
johanibraaten Online Content
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by johanibraaten

Oh sorry. I should have been more clear. I was asking what makes the NV5 mechanical action so much quieter than the NU1X mechanical action. But I think Gombessa raised some possibilities.

I see, sorry for misunderstanding you:)

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2919164 12/02/19 06:00 PM
CyberGene Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So, I'll wait until he replaces it with his next piano (which will probably be an acoustic piano since he already owned all hybrid pianos) and then he will be fair about the NV5 wink

As you have experienced yourself, with a baby so young, it will be a while before the Tyr family probably can go to a real acoustic smile

Ohh, wait, he didn't have a N1X. So, I stand corrected. I will wait until he replaces it with a N1X.

Last edited by CyberGene; 12/02/19 06:01 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: pppianomarc] #2919169 12/02/19 06:19 PM
T
Tyr Offline
T
I hope Tyr won't get it as picking on him but I notice a tendency of himself to change pianos often, starting with praises and ending with replacing with the next one smile So, I'll wait until he replaces it with his next piano (which will probably be an acoustic piano since he already owned all hybrid pianos) and then he will be fair about the NV5 wink

Maybe i should have opened my own shop, then i would have all pianos under one roof. wink

To be honest: I just haven't planned to get a NV5 and i tried it only because it was on display in the shop. I was there to check the CS11 for the quiet keyboard action due to the situation at home. I played the CS11 in 4 different stores on different days to judge if i like it much enough to use it as a serious replacement. The NV5 is the very first of all Pianos i've ever played which gave me (literally) goose bumps from the first second playing and my interest and work into the CS11 idea went from 100 to 0. I can't describe it better to make it clear. All i can say is: If you have the chance, try it by yourself.

Re: Kawai NV5 [Re: Tyr] #2919171 12/02/19 06:23 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr
The NV5 is the very first of all Pianos i've ever played which gave me (literally) goose bumps from the first second playing and my interest and work into the CS11 idea went from 100 to 0. I can't describe it better to make it clear. All i can say is: If you have the chance, try it by yourself.

Wow. The power of the soundboard, I guess!

So is your wife happy or sad? Because even if quieter than your NU1X, the NV5 can't possibly be as quiet as the CS11.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NU1X or U1 Silent made in Indonesia (1 year used)
by Pianowill - 12/15/19 07:57 PM
Double sharp F in key of G
by FrankCox - 12/15/19 06:58 PM
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,675
Posts2,902,030
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission