2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Originally Posted by DrGradus
I have just checked a recording of me playing Debussy´s Arabesque no.1 and I would have never said how often I play close to the fallboard. I won't say it is the standard position, because it is not. But if harmony is complex enough you find yourself quite often playing black keys with 4th and 5th digits, which forces to move your hand towards the fallboard. In a grand piano there is nothing wrong, keys are long enough (beyond the fallboard) and the hammers are far. In digitals well, it seems that it depends on the length of the pivot. My guess is if you are used to short pivot and you are happy with it, your fingers will deal with it and feel comfortable.

OK, I have just one more thing to say about this whole fallboard nonsense, and then I'm going back to playing my piano...

Sure, we all get that there are times when we are forced to play more toward the fallboard. ("toward", not "at") I am doubtful that Casio's Privia line is any harder to play closer to the fallboard than most any other DP is. Anyone who is playing "at" the fallboard is going about this whole piano playing thing all wrong.

As DrGradus states above, "you find yourself quite often playing black keys with 4th and 5th digits, which forces to move your hand towards the fallboard". "Towards" the fallboard, not "at".

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio (Casiotone) CT-S300 - 2020
- Casio (Privia) PX-870BK - 2019
- Casio (Casiotone) CT-680 - 1990
- Yamaha (Portatone) PS-25 - 1983
- Yamaha (Portasound) PS-2 - 1980
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Thanks, OscarRamsey. You are absolutely right.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by camperbc
Anyone who is playing "at" the fallboard is going about this whole piano playing thing all wrong.

Or haven't come across repertoire where it's unavoidable. It's not just about playing at the fallboard, but playing at the rear half of the key. The shorter the key, the greater the problem.

What has this got to do with Casio BTW?

Last edited by johnstaf; 12/01/19 07:01 PM.
R
R

In my case, I think I will remove Casio´s from my list or, at least, I will try them beforehand.
Crossing them out is certainly your prerogative, and by all means try them personally. But in the budget range you're not going to find much that's radically better.
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Or haven't come across repertoire where it's unavoidable.

What has this got to do with Casio BTW?
For some it's apparently more unavoidable than others. It has to do with that notorious Casio "pivot point", which frankly I don't find to be that unusual.
Sure, we all get that there are times when we are forced to play more toward the fallboard. ("toward", not "at") I am doubtful that Casio's Privia line is any harder to play closer to the fallboard than most any other DP is. Anyone who is playing "at" the fallboard is going about this whole piano playing thing all wrong.
Exactly. As some idiom somewhere has it, it's looking for hair on the soap.

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
For some it's apparently more unavoidable than others.

Meow!

R
R
For some it's apparently more unavoidable than others.

Meow!

Maybe having 2-inch white keys would do the trick. Problem solved for all makes. That pivot point would be outta sight! grin

R
R
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
The whole "OMG TEH CASIO PIVOT!!!" nonsense around here is tiresome, especially when it's no worse (and possibly a bit better than) Yamaha, but hardly anyone ever mentions that ... As far as I can tell, it's mostly based on one pseudo-scientific post here comparing actions, and not on any official specs, much less the personal experience of half the people complaining about it.

Ahhh, that explains it. Maybe we need to set up some blind tests, like the Strad vs modern violin tests. It would be interesting to see the results.

D
OP Offline
D
As DrGradus states above, "you find yourself quite often playing black keys with 4th and 5th digits, which forces to move your hand towards the fallboard". "Towards" the fallboard, not "at".

To be fair, I never meant to say playing right at the fallboard, I doubt there is any reason to do so. I play as close to the opposite edge as I can (it adds more sensibility for dynamics), but some works makes you move towards the fallboard. In these situations I'd say I am often around halfway between key edge and the fallboard, but never beyond 2/3 of the key length. That's my personal technique and, of course, some people may play differently.

D
OP Offline
D
Ahhh, that explains it. Maybe we need to set up some blind tests, like the Strad vs modern violin tests. It would be interesting to see the results.

Privia vs Steinway blind test? grin

To be fair, I never meant to say playing right at the fallboard, I doubt there is any reason to do so. I play as close to the opposite edge as I can (it adds more sensibility for dynamics), but some works makes you move towards the fallboard. In these situations I'd say I am often around halfway between key edge and the fallboard, but never beyond 2/3 of the key length. That's my personal technique and, of course, some people may play differently.

Yes, this is why I quoted you... that we sometimes have to play more "towards the fallboard", rather than "at" it. There have been those who have complained about the difficulty of playing "at" the fallboard on a Casio. Go figure.

Glen

R
R

Privia vs Steinway blind test? grin

No, Casio vs Yamaha vs Kawai vs Roland vs whoever. I'd be willing to bet that knowledge of brand influences how the player feels about the quality of the instrument.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
The whole "OMG TEH CASIO PIVOT!!!" nonsense around here is tiresome, especially when it's no worse (and possibly a bit better than) Yamaha, but hardly anyone ever mentions that ... As far as I can tell, it's mostly based on one pseudo-scientific post here comparing actions, and not on any official specs, much less the personal experience of half the people complaining about it.

Correct - all models from both Casio and Yamaha have crap pivot length until you get well above $2,000 - Clavinova CLP-675 and Celviano GP-310. Serious pianists wouldn't consider any models under those.

Roland should be releasing a new FP model in the next few months with their new longer pivot length in the sub-$2,000 price range.

I'm not sure about Kawai - is their MP11SE due for an upgrade next year? (It was released in 2017)

Last edited by Burkie; 12/01/19 08:59 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
Originally Posted by Burkie
... all models from both Casio and Yamaha have crap pivot length until you get well above $2,000 - Clavinova CLP-675 and Celviano GP-310. Serious pianists wouldn't consider any models under those.

Well that's interesting... because I bought my DP for well under $2,000... and I consider myself a "serious pianist". (ARCT)

Last edited by camperbc; 12/01/19 09:06 PM.

Glen

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
... all models from both Casio and Yamaha have crap pivot length until you get well above $2,000 - Clavinova CLP-675 and Celviano GP-310. Serious pianists wouldn't consider any models under those.

Well that's interesting... because I bought my DP for well under $2,000... and I consider myself a "serious pianist". (ARCT)

Note that I specified only Casio and Yamaha.
And also note that is for a new piano. Obviously you can pick up a great second hand / demo model Casio or Yamaha for less than $2,000.

What model did you buy?

Last edited by Burkie; 12/01/19 09:09 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!

Note that I specified only Casio and Yamaha.
And also note that is for a new piano. Obviously you can pick up a great second hand / demo model Casio or Yamaha for less than $2,000.

What model did you buy?

A new Privia PX-870... and this old pro loves it.

Glen

R
R
Correct - all models from both Casio and Yamaha have crap pivot length until you get well above $2,000 - Clavinova CLP-675 and Celviano GP-310. Serious pianists wouldn't consider any models under those.
Nothing personal, but that is *exactly* the attitude I dislike. (In plummy Thurston Howell III accent) "No serious pi-AH-nist would be caught DEAD playing such a monstrosity..." But then no serious pi-AH-nist would be caught dead playing ANY DP, including a $10,000 piano-shaped-object either, would they? *cough cough Avant Grand cough cough* See how that can turn out? I'm as serious as the average non-professional here and I do fine on the budget Casio. Is it perfect? No. None of them are.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Nothing personal, but that is *exactly* the attitude I dislike. (In plummy Thurston Howell III accent) "No serious pi-AH-nist would be caught DEAD playing such a monstrosity..." But then no serious pi-AH-nist would be caught dead playing ANY DP, including a $10,000 piano-shaped-object either, would they? *cough cough Avant Grand cough cough* See how that can turn out? I'm as serious as the average non-professional here and I do fine on the budget Casio. Is it perfect? No. None of them are.

I agree, you'd need the N3X for $16,000 (+ tax)...duh!

Last edited by Burkie; 12/01/19 09:35 PM.

R
R
I agree, you'd need the N3X for $16,000 (+ tax)...duh!
No you need a real Steinway or Bechstein with real keys and strings and wood, not these expensive electronic toys...every serious pianist knows that, duh...

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Why are people with short pivots so neurotic about what other people think?

grin grin grin

R
R
Why are people with short pivots so neurotic about what other people think?

grin grin grin

I never gave it a thought until I saw "my pivot's bigger than yours, science says so" discussions on this forum. grin

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission