2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
My problems seem to be multiplying rather than being fixed by GAS.

This week started with not being satisfied with my monitors and not completely happy with the internal main sound of my MP11SE. I am leaving fixing the monitor issue for another day.

I prepared my laptop for running VSTs and installed Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D yesterday. I could only listen to the VST via my headphones plugged into the laptop and it sounds really nice. I then finally worked out how to add it as a virtual instrument in GarageBand but it doesn’t sound quite as nice from within GarageBand. So one new problem.

Today I bought a Yamaha mixer with associated cables MGO6X 6. This means that I can now listen to either my DP or the VST through monitors or my headphones. The output sound from the mixer doesn’t sound quite as good as the inputs. So another new problem. For the VST I can only compare with headphones but I can tell the sound with the headphones plugged directly into the laptop is better. For the sound of the digital piano the sound to the headphones and monitors was better when direct. The sound going through the mixer is muddier. It feels like detail is lost. All fx is turned off on the mixer. A second new problem,

I suspect I am just digging myself a GAS hole and just accept things. Perhaps even my current monitors. Will buying new ones just create another problem.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
At some point (I think it was when I got the Grotrian upgrade to Pianoteq), I decided to put my GAS "on ice"(for DP's, at least).

Time is better spent practicing piano, or singing. Or learning to program a Volca Drum.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Another way to look at this:

If you had an acoustic piano, your options would be _severely_ limited. You could have the hammers voiced, or (at considerable cost) change the strings, or regulate the action. But that's about it.

The difficulty with DP's (at low-to-medium price levels) is that you can spend a moderate amount of money, in the _hope_ that it will improve (or at least, change) the sound you're making.

So we make incremental improvements (we hope they're improvements, they don't all work out). Until we reach either:

. . . "This is good enough for me, now" (which suspends the GAS, at least for a while)

or:

. . . "This <insert name of DP> just doesn't satisfy me; I must replace it."

which feeds the GAS.

Yes, new monitors might make a difference. You might be the only person who hears it, and I'll bet that it won't improve your playing one iota.

I brought a borrowed Yamaha Stagepas PA system home, and plugged my PX-350 into it. That improvement was substantial. I got my ZXA1 after that.

Am I going to replace my ZXA1? I don't think any gain would be worthwhile. Replace Pianoteq? I _like_ Pianoteq!

So figure out what's causing the GAS, and where you are on your personal "cost vs performance" curve. Nobody else can do that for you.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by KevinM
My problems seem to be multiplying rather than being fixed by GAS.

This week started with not being satisfied with my monitors and not completely happy with the internal main sound of my MP11SE. I am leaving fixing the monitor issue for another day.

I prepared my laptop for running VSTs and installed Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D yesterday. I could only listen to the VST via my headphones plugged into the laptop and it sounds really nice. I then finally worked out how to add it as a virtual instrument in GarageBand but it doesn’t sound quite as nice from within GarageBand. So one new problem.

Today I bought a Yamaha mixer with associated cables MGO6X 6. This means that I can now listen to either my DP or the VST through monitors or my headphones. The output sound from the mixer doesn’t sound quite as good as the inputs. So another new problem. For the VST I can only compare with headphones but I can tell the sound with the headphones plugged directly into the laptop is better. For the sound of the digital piano the sound to the headphones and monitors was better when direct. The sound going through the mixer is muddier. It feels like detail is lost. All fx is turned off on the mixer. A second new problem,

I suspect I am just digging myself a GAS hole and just accept things. Perhaps even my current monitors. Will buying new ones just create another problem.

Yep …. the problem you (and most of us) have is that you have no idea what "good" is until you have exhausted all possibilities.

You think that the next "perfect" sound is just around the corner.

AND …. you depend on the ravings of advertising and forum advice to lead you to the final solution.

You have a good sound already in the MP11SE …. you just don't know it. My opinion, of course. and that is the problem …. it is only my opinion.

Unfortunately, there is no way around your dilemma.

When you have tried enough things (I tried many, many) you will stop trying and spend your money and time learning to play and that will make everything sound better.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
S
In a pk dick novel there is a phrase that goes something like "a man is the way for a spermatozoon to create another spermatozoon". So it seems that regarding gas we could say that the music is the way for gear makers to make us buy more gear. You can do what i did, forget about vsts and monitors and turn your gas into scores and music theory books. At least you'll be playing more instead of dealing with cables and computers and such

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Snail
In a pk dick novel there is a phrase that goes something like "a man is the way for a spermatozoon to create another spermatozoon". So it seems that regarding gas we could say that the music is the way for gear makers to make us buy more gear. You can do what i did, forget about vsts and monitors and turn your gas into scores and music theory books. At least you'll be playing more instead of dealing with cables and computers and such

Very Wise.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
R
R
If you want to see your money evaporate, take up a violin-family instrument. Just this morning I had to order a cello A string after I broke one in tuning. It was $35, for one string. A halfway decent set costs $150+. I just got these (Jargar Superiors) in August, and probably by next summer it will be time to spend ~$200 again, hopefully less if the C and G strings hold out. Before that, it was a couple of New Harmony wolf tone eliminators at $15 each (had to order online because local music shops here only carry the traditional suppressors). A few months ago it was a good pernambuco bow and rosin, and a better music stand. My DP hasn't cost me anything else other than the purchase price and sheet music I've bought.

Last edited by rmns2bseen; 12/01/19 12:05 AM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
You are going about this backwards. If your monitors are problematic, you cannot evaluate the sound quality of the rest of the stuff properly. If you get satisfactory monitors, I think you will find that the MP11SE is all you need.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
At least I have sorted out the mixer problem. Took far too long. The mono/stereo button was pressed.

At least I know a lot more what mixers do and how they work now. Silver linings and all that.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
If you want to see your money evaporate, take up a violin-family instrument. Just this morning I had to order a cello A string after I broke one in tuning. It was $35, for one string. A halfway decent set costs $150+. I just got these (Jargar Superiors) in August, and probably by next summer it will be time to spend ~$200 again, hopefully less if the C and G strings hold out. Before that, it was a couple of New Harmony wolf tone eliminators at $15 each (had to order online because local music shops here only carry the traditional suppressors). A few months ago it was a good pernambuco bow and rosin, and a better music stand. My DP hasn't cost me anything else other than the purchase price and sheet music I've bought.

I play classical guitar, and have four of them. Yes, strings cost money, and I wouldn’t want to add up the money I’ve spent on strings in my lifetime. My 90cm contra bass guitar string sets are $60 but I’m happy that Hannabach sells them over the counter so I don’t complain.

Can you get a year out of a set of cello strings? That’s pretty good, I think. I played the violin for ten years but don’t miss the sound of that under my ear. I love the sound of the cell though. I should have tried that instead.

I managed to flip a fine French fiddle double what I paid for it so that was nice. That will never happen with piano. DPs are cheaper in terms of maintenance but I can’t stand listening to a piano over speakers, and can’t stand playing with headphones, so I’ll be paying maintenance costs on an acoustic piano for the rest of my life. So it goes.

Last edited by LarryK; 12/01/19 07:17 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is hard to understand.
Originally Posted by KevinM
... not completely happy with the internal main sound of my MP11SE.
... the VST via headphones plugged into the laptop ... sounds really nice.
... it doesn’t sound quite as nice from within GarageBand.
... the output sound from the mixer doesn’t sound quite as good as the inputs.
... the sound with the headphones plugged directly into the laptop is better.
... the headphones and monitors was better when direct.
... the sound going through the mixer is muddier.
It's puzzling how the same piano sound good from the laptop, not so good from Garage Band, and muddy from the mixer.

Are there adjustments that have been set badly?

K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
So next job will be sort out running the VST from within garage band now the mixer problem is sorted.

What this meant though I was able to explore the issue with my monitors. Now I know for sure it isn't the output from the MP11SE the problem is the monitors.

I don't know for sure but I think the problem is around the crossover between where the large speaker dominates the sound and the tweeter in the monitors. The key C5 and a few below sound rough on both the internal MP11SE and the VST. But C5 is definitely the worse. The range of keys where the sound is rough is larger for the MP11SE internal sound, 3 instead of 2. I can just hear the issue with just a single key but with two keys pressed at the same time in that range it is clearer. The sound is just rough.

Last edited by KevinM; 12/01/19 08:02 AM.
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
I have been a fool. I thought I would have groundloop problems if I fed the headphone output from the Mac into the input of my MP11SE which is partly why I got the mixer. At least getting the mixer confirmed beyond doubt that the problem with the monitors is just that.

GarageBand and the Ivory II plug-in really don’t play well together. I got the settings configured and recorded myself with garaband using the Ivory II plug-in and that worked. But of course I didn’t like my playing so I decided to go for a new recording, but GarageBand had changed the plug-in settings without my input. This wasn’t the first time that GarageBand had changed the settings but previously I couldn’t know for sure.

Working with the plug-in in GarageBand is hair pulling out frustration. I decided to try having the output of the headphones from the laptop into the MP11SE and I can record using the MP11SE recorder. This means I can leave GarageBand out of the equation and just use the Ivory II stand-alone player. I can also leave out the mixer. So far no groundloop hum.

What a mess.

Here's the cure for GAS ...

[Linked Image]

O
O
^^

My ex could have done with taking some of those!

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
R
R
Originally Posted by LarryK
Can you get a year out of a set of cello strings?
That depends, partly on how frequently you play and partly on the string composition. The ones I'm using now have a tungsten-wound C and G so I'm hoping they will last at *least* a year. My last set of budget Prims (unbearably "bright", by the way) only lasted a few months before they went stale. Before I took up the cello I didn't realize how expensive decent strings were. At this rate I'm going to be tempted to use rubber bands. grin

Apologies to the OP, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm known to go off on irrelevant tangents.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Can you get a year out of a set of cello strings?
That depends, partly on how frequently you play and partly on the string composition.

If you played like these guys, forget a year - you'd be lucky to get a single performance out of a set of strings or even a set of bow hair!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
R
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
If you played like these guys, forget a year - you'd be lucky to get a single performance out of a set of strings or even a set of bow hair!
Oh yeah, bow hair! That's another expense, about $150 every year or so, I think. My bows up til now haven't been worth the expense but the one I have now is. I'm verrrrrry careful with that thing. grin

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Oh yeah, bow hair! That's another expense, about $150 every year or so, I think. My bows up til now haven't been worth the expense but the one I have now is. I'm verrrrrry careful with that thing. grin

I remember picking up a bow after a re-hair and making the mistake of asking the luthier what he was playing on the violin. He informed me that he did not play the violin, lol. After thinking it over, I came to the conclusion that you didn't have to play the instrument in order to build the instrument.

And, sorry, I'm not a fan of whatever is going on in that video.

The closest I've come to playing the cello is when I tricked the electrician into thinking I was playing the cello in the living room by playing a recording on my stereo of Pablo Casals playing the Bach cello suites.

Last edited by LarryK; 12/01/19 11:23 PM.
... sorry, I'm not a fan of whatever is going on in that video.

Really? I thought they were outstanding! Extremely talented, to say the least. Granted, they are a bit rough on their instruments!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio (Casiotone) CT-S300 - 2020
- Casio (Privia) PX-870BK - 2019
- Casio (Casiotone) CT-680 - 1990
- Yamaha (Portatone) PS-25 - 1983
- Yamaha (Portasound) PS-2 - 1980
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission