2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (AZNpiano, 36251, amyram, barbaram, aph123, Animisha, Beowulf, 17 invisible), 363 guests, and 449 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: dogperson] #2917332 11/28/19 12:31 PM
J
JB_PW Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by dogperson
Due to the age and condition of your piano, don’t be surprised if it has little to no value to a dealer. If that is the case, consider donating to a needy child

https://pianoadoption.com/

That's really cool, thanks!

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: joe80] #2917336 11/28/19 12:51 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by joe80
In my case, I needed more dynamic range and a faster action. I'd gone as far as I could with an old English upright. I'd owned a Challen and a Knight, the Knight wore out very quickly because I practised on it for between 6 and 7 hours a day in the days when I needed to do that amount of practice, and I completely wore it out - hammers, string breakages, action parts breaking, it just couldn't cope with the workload and it was going to cost more to fix than buying a better instrument would have cost. By that time I was studying in the conservatoire so I also used their good pianos.

I like to see instruments that are worn out through use. My classical guitar teacher put an amazing amount of playing wear on his guitar during his time at Juilliard. That’s what it takes to succeed, lots and lots of practice time, and that means wear.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917378 11/28/19 03:14 PM
AaronSF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You need a new piano! Look at both new and used pianos. Take your time. Find your dream instrument. I guarantee you will find it eventually, and chances are your playing will improve quite a bit with a decent instrument. I see you're in Oregon. Portland has three piano stores with a good assortment of instruments: Portland Piano, Classic Pianos, and Michelle's Pianos.

August Förster 215
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917634 11/29/19 09:51 AM
S
S. Phillips Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Take your time. Visit a lot of dealers and just play everything you can find. You will eventually come to a conclusion about your needs. While price is sometimes an issue, my advice is to buy the best piano you can afford at the time and don't worry about whether or not you will have to trade up later. You can buy a better piano and trade it in a couple of years for an even better one. I have one customer that has traded four times in 30 years. It is just a matter of being patient with a purchase.

Most dealers are perfectly happy with a potential customer coming in with a stack of music to play through. I love it when customers feel comfortable visiting and playing. Also tell the sales folks what your goals are. In some cases they may be able to order just what you need or they may know of a trade coming in that is perfect.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
New Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos
www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: S. Phillips] #2917669 11/29/19 11:09 AM
J
JB_PW Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by AaronSF
chances are your playing will improve quite a bit with a decent instrument.

Really? Don't get my hopes up. smile

I am in the Portland area so I do plan to visit all 3 in December or January.

Originally Posted by S. Phillips
Most dealers are perfectly happy with a potential customer coming in with a stack of music to play through. I love it when customers feel comfortable visiting and playing.

I doubt I'll be comfortable in the slightest! I'm only intermediate and I get very nervous playing in front of people. I know I've got to do it though. I just hope to pick a quiet time when there aren't a lot of people milling about or playing the other pianos and distracting me. Other than that it should be a fun process!

Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917670 11/29/19 11:12 AM
S
S. Phillips Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JB_PW
Originally Posted by AaronSF
chances are your playing will improve quite a bit with a decent instrument.

Really? Don't get my hopes up. smile

I am in the Portland area so I do plan to visit all 3 in December or January.

Most dealers are perfectly happy with a potential customer coming in with a stack of music to play through. I love it when customers feel comfortable visiting and playing.

I doubt I'll be comfortable in the slightest! I'm only intermediate and I get very nervous playing in front of people. I know I've got to do it though. I just hope to pick a quiet time when there aren't a lot of people milling about or playing the other pianos and distracting me. Other than that it should be a fun process!

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
www.steinwaypiano.com
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917671 11/29/19 11:13 AM
S
S. Phillips Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Go early in the morning as soon as the store opens. Most stores are quiet then.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
www.steinwaypiano.com
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917683 11/29/19 11:40 AM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You are in for a "fun" piano adventure. Play as many as you can and you will eventually find a piano "that has your name on it".

[Linked Image]
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917690 11/29/19 11:53 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You should be realistic in your expectations. A better piano is not likely to enable you to hit the proper notes more often, as the shape of the keyboard is the same. You should be able to play with better control of timing and dynamics. You can get the latter to some extent with proper maintenance of the piano you have, but a better piano will be even better, as long as you maintain it.

Semipro Tech
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917700 11/29/19 12:12 PM
Rickster Offline
Originally Posted by BDB
You should be realistic in your expectations. A better piano is not likely to enable you to hit the proper notes more often, as the shape of the keyboard is the same. You should be able to play with better control of timing and dynamics. You can get the latter to some extent with proper maintenance of the piano you have, but a better piano will be even better, as long as you maintain it.

+1 thumb

Also, be leery of the salespeople who brag on your playing, when you know it ain't so... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917718 11/29/19 12:57 PM
S
S. Phillips Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I find that amateurs usually benefit more than professionals from a better piano with a well regulated action. Professionals of course love a piano that is finely set up but they have more experience dealing with pianos that aren't perfect and have had to learn to adapt.

Amateurs don't have that number of hours on a huge variety of instruments so they are helped much more if they don't have to struggle with poor action response. But it is much more than just the action. Newer strings, that are lively, coupled with a better soundboard design make a better piano have a singing tone that is necessary for even intermediate repertoire. I have many customers who are very surprised at what they can do on a better piano.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
www.steinwaypiano.com
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917726 11/29/19 01:14 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Rickster
I can understand a salesman reflexively making a positive comment about a customer’s playing while still being honest about the pianos. In fact, I personally have had that experience.

We just look at dealers differently, I suppose.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917746 11/29/19 02:17 PM
P
P W Grey Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
As well as the "one time deal if you buy now" (or similar) routine. You MIGHT want to read the book "Grand Obsession" by Perri Knize first, or in conjunction with your search.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: Rickster] #2917756 11/29/19 02:55 PM
j&j Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by BDB

+1 thumb

Also, be leery of the salespeople who brag on your playing, when you know it ain't so... smile

Rick

Oh Rick - say it ain’t so. My piano salesman is my most devoted fan! grin

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: Rickster] #2917762 11/29/19 03:23 PM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

+1 thumb

Rick

I wish anybody would "brag on my playing", but alas....

[Linked Image]
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917764 11/29/19 03:31 PM
Rickster Offline
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by BDB
+1 thumb

Rick

Oh Rick - say it ain’t so. My piano salesman is my most devoted fan! grin

Well, in your case, j&j, you probably deserve the accolades and compliments from your piano salesperson. smile

In my case, I figured it was flattery and part of the sales pitch. But I like to hear compliments on my playing as well as anyone.

Fact is, flattery will usually get you somewhere with most people, and it works with me too. We all have our weaknesses... smile

So, yea, flattery has its place and can be an effective tool, whether a sales tool or other...

Now back to piano shopping advice... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917768 11/29/19 03:39 PM
A
astrotoy Offline
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
When we got married (we celebrate our 49th anniversary in two weeks), my engagement ring to my bride was a used Kawai Grand (IIRC a Model 500) which I bought for $1250 in 1970. Her father had her old upright shipped to us from Hong Kong to California(he was in the shipping business, so the shipping was free) and we had two pianos. We started playing duets, she would play the hard part and I would play the easier part. We started with the first movement of the Schumann Piano Concerto (and I would fake the orchestral accompaniment). She had the famed Adolph Baller as one of her teachers. He had a Boesendorfer and she fell in love with that piano. Over the years, we saw the occasional Boesie at local piano stores, including, around 1984, a Model 200 which was around $38,000, much too much money for us. Baller's piano had been one of the bigger models, with more than 88 keys, and those were in the $60K+ or more price range (I think the 290 Imperial may have been over $80K back then.) We were in Europe for the first time together in 1985, and decided on a lark to visit the famed piano section of Harrod's in London which had rows upon rows of grand pianos, including some of the most famous names and models (no Steinways however, since they had a big London store at the time.) What was surprising was that Bosendorfers were much less expensive at Harrods (not known for lower prices) than in the US. The Model 200 was less than $20K (compared with double in the US) and the 225 (with 92 keys) was less than $30K. I was intrigued, $20K was a stretch, but possible. My wife reminded me that Harrods was not the place for bargains and we visited the Bosendorfer dealer in London, where the prices were 20% lower than Harrods. We told them our vacation plans to visit Paris and Vienna and he generously gave the name of the Bosendorfer dealer in Paris, Daniel Magne, which was our next stop. Prices in Paris were even lower than in London and he arranged a visit to the Boesendorfer factories in Vienna and Wiener Neustadt. Things were getting serious. After the Vienna visits, my wife picked out her favorite of four 225's in the Bosendorfer Vienna factory where they did the final voicing and adjustments of the pianos. We returned to Paris and settled on the price and shipping terms, all in French Francs (well before the Euro). The US dollar was at an all time high and including air freight to our home in the SF Bay Area, the total cost of our new 225 was less than $24,000!

We sold the HK spinet and had two grands. A few years later, our finances had improved and we bought our Yamaha S400E with a Disklavier mechanism to replace the Kawai. We still play some duets, but mostly we both have the choice of the Bosie or the Yamaha to play.

The two grands got their biggest workout last April, when we had a home concert with Jon Nakamatsu playing the Rachmaninoff Second Piano Concerto with his long time accompanist (who started accompanying Jon when Jon was nine years old!, all through his early career to winning the Cliburn competition and beyond). Jon played the Bosie and his accompanist Chris played the Yamaha.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: JB_PW] #2917861 11/29/19 07:32 PM
J
JB_PW Offline OP
OP Offline
J
49 years, that's amazing! Great story.

Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: astrotoy] #2918052 11/30/19 09:07 AM
j&j Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Astrotoy on your long marriage, yours and your wife’s very successful piano journey together and your amazing pianos.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: What made you decide to replace your piano? [Re: S. Phillips] #2918191 11/30/19 02:20 PM
AaronSF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I find that amateurs usually benefit more than professionals from a better piano with a well regulated action. Professionals of course love a piano that is finely set up but they have more experience dealing with pianos that aren't perfect and have had to learn to adapt.

Amateurs don't have that number of hours on a huge variety of instruments so they are helped much more if they don't have to struggle with poor action response. But it is much more than just the action. Newer strings, that are lively, coupled with a better soundboard design make a better piano have a singing tone that is necessary for even intermediate repertoire. I have many customers who are very surprised at what they can do on a better piano.

+1 As an amateur with a newish piano, I can confirm what Sally just said.

August Förster 215
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Vertical—a Performance Like No Other!
by Tyrone Slothrop - 02/19/20 08:34 AM
Rebuilt Steinways (was)? PFKAS?
by Maestro Lennie - 02/19/20 07:19 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,056
Posts2,927,382
Members96,042
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission