2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
OP Offline
N
Hello guys,

after I proceeded to gain skill, I felt that mistakes were due to Software, because too high-latency.
Even on High-End Scale of Hardware.
Even at 1ms or sub 1ms, note on and note off events seem to stack.

Whenever I use a VSTi, it's not as smooth as on the Piano Onboard Audio of the RD-2000.
Even if it sounds worse, for practice and live-play, you want the least latency possible.
I had tried many stuff now and wasted a lot of time for research for the ultimate piano sound.

It doesn't matter what Software I use. It's all the same.

Best regards

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
How much latency are you getting? I'm at around 2 msec.

If you're not going to use VSTs, what'll it be? Back to native voice? Might be difficult; I would find it so.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
How much latency are you getting? I'm at around 2 msec.

I'm at 1.0 ms RTL with crazy settings.

Originally Posted by peterws
If you're not going to use VSTs, what'll it be? Back to native voice? Might be difficult; I would find it so.

Yes, the native voice of the Roland RD-2000

I was using a bunch of very expensive VSTi so far, and none did it!

I did a blind ABX test. I had to not play more than two note trills to find out when it gets really annoying. That is at 1.5ms.
But even 1ms I can feel.

It's not like 1ms is actually 1ms! There is note-off delay and note-on delay. It stacks imo.
But I'm very, very sensitive to everything and I may be 1 in 500.000 people.

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 11/29/19 11:57 AM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I don't know the absolute e2e latency on my VSTs, but I can understands how to feel. My current setup has just enough latency to tolerate, and I can tell because in headphones it's fine, but on speakers there is a perceptible enough delay to be annoying. So I believe the extra time taken for the sound to travel from the speakers to my ears (all but eliminated when using headphones) is introducing enough latency to be noticeable.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nicknameTaken
Hello guys,

after I proceeded to gain skill, I felt that mistakes were due to Software, because too high-latency.

Whenever I use a VSTi, it's not as smooth as on the Piano Onboard Audio of the RD-2000.
Even if it sounds worse, for practice and live-play, you want the least latency possible.
I had tried many stuff now and wasted a lot of time for research for the ultimate piano sound.

Best regards

I suspect you are doing something wrong. sub-millisecond latency is not noticeable. Are you on Windows? If on Windows, did you install and use an ASIO driver?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I also suspect something is wrong with the setup.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Hello guys,

Best regards

I suspect you are doing something wrong. sub-millisecond latency is not noticeable. Are you on Windows? If on Windows, did you install and use an ASIO driver?

<= This is correct. You must be getting delay from somewhere else. How about your MIDI settings? Your MIDI controller may have silly latency which is independent of your audio interface.

Neurons speed are in ms range. Anything less 10ms is not perceivable or very hard to perceive.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Abdol

Neurons speed are in ms range. Anything less 10ms is not perceivable or very hard to perceive.

It really depends on the situation. If you're listening to a performance, and the music starts 1ms later, that's in no way perceptible.

But if you have two distinct clicks separated by 1ms, you can absolutely hear the gap.

When playing a piano, if for example the sound the key striking the keybed is loud enough, you might notice if the note follows it by just a few ms. A 1-2ms delay from silence is harder to tell.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
N
OP Offline
N
I have reproduced it both on Windows 10 1909 and (Hackintosh Catalina)
It's consistent. No Audio tweak could help. I'm using a RME HDSPe AIO.
As I said before, there is a small amount of people who can blindly tell you whether there is latency by perception.
It's about how the Instruments responds and recreates.

>Neurons speed are in ms range. Anything less 10ms is not perceivable or very hard to perceive.

Truth. But there is a caveat!

RTL has been measured on Windows and it was correct. At the same setting, on MAC, Reaper reported up to 2 ms less.
ANY input/output latency will make a difference in playing. It's not about your own perception, but the way the audio gets constructed.
Let's say you play two notes very fast as a drill, when you let the key go to retrigger, the Key-OFF Event over MIDI has been triggered.
Since you play it so fast and immediately play the next note, there is not enough time for keeping things discernible.
To compensate, you have to lift off your finger faster. But this is annoying for me at play.

The outcome in tone was different. The VSTi would then sound almost like two notes were played at once or even drop some.

As conclusion - VSTi may could serve as a rendering utility, but never for live play in my situation.
A long time I thought the latency has to be good enough, since I use the best available Hardware for MIDI processing. But I was proven wrong by my own.

The RTL isn't as reliant as you may think. There is added latency to some VSTi. This is my ranking list for latency:

1. Pianoteq (native)
2. Kontakt

[Others]

Somewhere at the end of the spectrum : [...] VSL Synchron Pianos

And for the last part, I'm very very sensible to everything.

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Gombessa

It really depends on the situation. If you're listening to a performance, and the music starts 1ms later, that's in no way perceptible.

But if you have two distinct clicks separated by 1ms, you can absolutely hear the gap.

When playing a piano, if for example the sound the key striking the keybed is loud enough, you might notice if the note follows it by just a few ms. A 1-2ms delay from silence is harder to tell.

I couldn't say it better. I didn't had the right words to explain it that short. Thanks!
However, it lacks that little detail that if you play fast enough some notes aren't properly registered and not distinguishable and almost feel like kissing each other. Gap too small!

Last edited by nicknameTaken; 11/29/19 01:22 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I had a teacher which detect something “wrong” when looping MIDI from my piano back to the piano. The MIDI chain may add 3ms, no more (1ms piano->MIDI USB adaptor, 1ms adaptor-> PC, 1ms back to the piano).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My measured end-to-end latency (Yamaha USB interface, ASIO driver, smallest buffer size) is 12 ms after builtin tones trigger. That's too much for my taste.

Yamaha P-515
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

I couldn't say it better. I didn't had the right words to explain it that short. Thanks!
However, it lacks that little detail that if you play fast enough some notes aren't properly registered and not distinguishable and almost feel like kissing each other. Gap too small!

This sounds like a technical problem. It happens when buffers are too big, which messes with the timing resolution.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sometimes there are some piano samples that have a little delay, or a slightly longer attack, so even if your equipment had a latency <1ms you always would feel the latency, being that it's not in the hardware chain, but in the sample itself!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As I said before, there is a small amount of people who can blindly tell you whether there is latency by perception.
It's about how the Instruments responds and recreates.

Agreed. There are some rudimentary academic studies supporting this.

With headphones vs loudspeakers you save about 3ms. That is an inexpensive & powerful latency tweak.

Good digital piano engineers have the opportunity to develop and tune dedicated, efficient internal sensor-sound systems. It should be tough to outperform the Yamaha N1x with some generic home computer MIDI scheme. With lower grade keyboards, anything is possible. This is just speculation and I haven't seen any evidence one way or another.

I have reproduced it both on Windows 10 1909 and (Hackintosh Catalina)
It's consistent. No Audio tweak could help. I'm using a RME HDSPe AIO.

- What type of buffer are you using? That HDSPe should get to buffers 32, if your computer is capable and has a very high-performance CPU. With a weak computer, RME will not permit access those low buffers. I have seen a handful of Pros posting with lower buffers on RME drivers, maybe 24 or 16. (48 is the lowest that the BabyFace Pro will hit).

- Make sure the HDSPe has updated drivers (v4.29?) as some of the older drivers underperformed.

- Apple adds additional hidden buffers so typically if you set a buffer of say 64, maybe you are actually getting 96 or 128. Not sure if RME worked around that. In the real world it doesn't matter, unless you are trying to run at absolutely lowest latency as you are, where Windows might perform slightly lower latency, in theory.

Are you using USB or DIN MIDI cables from the controller?

- The serial DIN cable scheme is really slow and will backlog if you are playing fast with lots of chords. That will create lots of long, odd delays and a most irritating form of jitter.

- Modern USB and good drivers should resolve speed issues in theory. MIDI Association has no limit on speeds. But there are plenty of caveats such as Windows and driver implementation, and just how the keyboard controller is outputting USB MIDI data (e.g. some keyboards might cripple USB midi data to mirror DIN midi data, but I have never seen anyone confirm one way or another).

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by johnstaf

This sounds like a technical problem. It happens when buffers are too big, which messes with the timing resolution.

Yes but to offset it you need hardware that even not already exist. And if it's not sampled but modeled, the problem is much less there.
But - since I like the Roland modeling more - befitting my Device better, I use it instead.

N
OP Offline
N
- Make sure the HDSPe has updated drivers (v4.29?) as some of the older drivers underperformed.

Up to date

- Apple adds additional hidden buffers so typically if you set a buffer of say 64, maybe you are actually getting 96 or 128. Not sure if RME worked around that. In the real world it doesn't matter, unless you are trying to run at absolutely lowest latency as you are, where Windows might perform slightly lower latency, in theory.

I didn't knew that, but the OS didn't make a difference.

- Are you using USB or DIN MIDI cables from the controller?

DIN MIDI

- The serial DIN cable scheme is really slow and will backlog if you are playing fast with lots of chords. That will create lots of long, odd delays and a most irritating form of jitter.

I didn't knew that again

- Modern USB and good drivers should resolve speed issues in theory. MIDI Association has no limit on speeds. But there are plenty of caveats such as Windows and driver implementation, and just how the keyboard controller is outputting USB MIDI data (e.g. some keyboards might cripple USB midi data to mirror DIN midi data, but I have never seen anyone confirm one way or another).

USB won't be faster than 1ms except polling would be higher than 1000hz which is very unlikely.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf

Yes but to offset it you need hardware that even not already exist. And if it's not sampled but modeled, the problem is much less there.
But - since I like the Roland modeling more - befitting my Device better, I use it instead.

Sampling doesn't have greater latency than modelling.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Your neurons (if you are an average person wink ) can detect a 10 microsecond latency difference between ears.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission